Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:19 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:48 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:23 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Raffles
Factor in lower turnover (crew training isn't cheap) and higher salaries can even pay for themselves.

I have always over-paid people and it has always benefitted me.
Um, then you haven't over-paid?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:25 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:48 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SvenAge
I assume he's talking about share price movement. Share prices will go down if resource costs are expected to rise.
Best thing in the eyes of shareholders is to cut resources. Share prices rise when cuts are announced, so we need more cuts and less fat.
Basically what I was getting at. Job cuts are often roundly applauded by the folks in those locations (with apologies to the folks posting here who spend a lot of time in those locations, and the handful I met flying BA 1 a while back, my intent was not to put you in a box and do not take offence as the characterisation does not apply to every individual), no matter whether it is actually a smart move to do so or not. Sometimes wage/job cuts are best for business, sometimes they aren't. Some wage/job cuts cut the fat, some cut the bone. But many of the trader types act as though most wage/job cuts are cutting only fat no matter the underlying realities. As noted, there is a major cost involved with recruiting, and then training new employees. There will always be a natural turnover of employees with any business, from BA to M&S to the corner pub, but creating artificial turnover can drive these less visible costs up significantly. Paying people the rates BA is advertising here, considering the cost of living anywhere near London, is unlikely to engender loyalty. BA has clearly decided that these rates make sense for their business model, and that the job market replies favorably enough to these rates. Whether it is shortsighted or not only time will tell.
SvenAge likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:21 am

AFAIK they can't work more than 90hr a month and 900hr/11 month (1 month holiday off) So it's not a bad paid bc they are mostly abroad anyway. Some layover can last up to 5 days inc. flighttime I think.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Is that that bad?
It's not the worst paid job out there, but compared to living cost in and around London it's not generous either.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Just as a comparison, what would the pay be like working retail, say at a Costa; assuming 40h/ week?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Just as a comparison, what would the pay be like working retail, say at a Costa; assuming 40h/ week?
Difficult to say since many corps publish job offers via recruiters. Saw an offer for a Starbucks Retail manager in Leicester (i.e. Store manager): Ł8/h. There's a offer for aircraft cleaners at LHR too: Ł7.5 to Ł8.5/hrs.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:34 pm

"pay dictated by market" etc. No discussion of profit? Exec pay? Unions or lack of/lack of membership? Minimum wage? Tax credits? Wage fixing? Immigration? Inflation?

Don't sit on a high horse insinuating it's people too cheap to pay high fares, especially regarding a company that does over Ł1000m in profit.
mec72 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mylabel
AFAIK they can't work more than 90hr a month and 900hr/11 month (1 month holiday off) So it's not a bad paid bc they are mostly abroad anyway. Some layover can last up to 5 days inc. flighttime I think.
Those figures are for flying hours, not "shift time". If you do a double MAN, your flying hours are going to be probably less than 4 hours for the 4 sectors, but you'll have a duty day over 10 hours. Most crew are at work (i.e. not a day off) 20 days a month. It's not a 9-5, but it's also not all cocktails on the beach & working 2 days a week.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Just out of curiosity?, is it practically viable for someone say in Glasgow to work for BA whilst being based in Glasgow or would they have to relocate to the London Area?

I am lucky in my job that I can retire very early (still a good few years to go) but as a position for extra money with good Travel benefits, it’s certainly something I would consider.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
Those figures are for flying hours, not "shift time". If you do a double MAN, your flying hours are going to be probably less than 4 hours for the 4 sectors, but you'll have a duty day over 10 hours. Most crew are at work (i.e. not a day off) 20 days a month. It's not a 9-5, but it's also not all cocktails on the beach & working 2 days a week.
nah it is actually block hour. Double MAN is more than 4hr but yeah not cocktails on the beach neither.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Woody12354
Just out of curiosity?, is it practically viable for someone say in Glasgow to work for BA whilst being based in Glasgow or would they have to relocate to the London Area?
Can't speak for how BA deals with it but I know someone working on long haul for another airline and he was based at their hub only for a few years. After that he moved around and even lived abroad and commuted to work by plane.
Woody12354 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I went once to the open day and managed to pass all the tests etc apart from the final interview (i was not going to take the job anyway as i had a better job offer the same week). The majority of people are either young females who things being a FA is like 20 years ago or males (usually LGBT) that like the idea of flying abroad. The salary is quite low unless you live close to the airports etc but of course they make a big presentation when you get there. You know working for BA blah blah etc. The really sad thing is that after all the assesments and before the final interview we were a bunch of 20 people or so left and they said they will provide lunch ( bear in mind the whole assesment was about 8 hours!). The lunch was a small bag of crisps and a ham and cheese tesco sandwich. That was during 2015. I will not be shocked if they dont provide any lunch nowadays or maybe just the crisps....
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:07 pm

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:36 pm Reason: deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.