FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   British Airways Hiring Cabin Crew (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1873941-british-airways-hiring-cabin-crew.html)

Pascoe Oct 25, 2017 6:43 am

They're also recruiting for pilots too! Pay's a tad better although naturally you have to have a 6 figure sum to pony up to get an A320 type rating first...

UKtravelbear Oct 25, 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jday (Post 28974385)
£2.95 per hour... ouch

That’s the salary addition for every hour flown in addition to basic pay. It’s not the actual pay rate!

bhbloke Oct 25, 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe (Post 28974464)
They're also recruiting for pilots too! Pay's a tad better although naturally you have to have a 6 figure sum to pony up to get an A320 type rating first...

I bet George of this parish has had a call for that after his sim performance last week!

Pascoe Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 28974525)
I bet George of this parish has had a call for that after his sim performance last week!

Don't. I'm still gutted I can't make it...

SvenAge Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am

deleted

mikeyfly Oct 25, 2017 7:17 am

SvenAge just an observation, and maybe far off, but you do seem to be very complimentary about all things BA (fantastic lounges, generous pay, great work management have been progressing, agreeing with the carrier fees, recognising Mr Cruz's good work ....) I wouldn't like you to be accused of having an agenda here..

SvenAge Oct 25, 2017 7:25 am

deleted

mikeyfly Oct 25, 2017 7:41 am

Well, I've set a reminder on Outlook to check back in, as you say, in a couple of months. What with the extra space coming up by cramming in extra seats in 2018 and the delightful panini here to stay, it is onwards and upwards

TheBOSman Oct 25, 2017 7:45 am

~$26,000 a year...and having to pay London housing prices and UK taxes? I think there are regionals in the USA that pay cabin crew better than that upfront, never mind the lower cost of living in smaller American cities :eek:.

icegirl Oct 25, 2017 8:41 am

Would I be correct in saying the BA salary advertised is relative to OTE?

How do BA Mixed Fleet employment benefits compare to other carriers especially those such as say VS, EK, QF, AA, DL ?

WorldLux Oct 25, 2017 8:41 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 28974523)
That’s the salary addition for every hour flown in addition to basic pay. It’s not the actual pay rate!

Still. With a base of a mere 12k per annum, you would have to do a lot of flying and selling BOB to get anywhere close to what is required to live in proximity to London.

That said, pay is dictated by the market. Since these days everybody thinks that he has an undeniable right to jet off every 3 to 6 months to far flung all-inclusive resorts with free flowing booze but only paying a few hundred quid the people getting you there will earn peanuts.

It's a shame really but then the same phenomena can be observed in other economic activities where people simply refuse to pay prices that allow decent pay to the employees behind the products and services.

Don't believe me? Just go to Westfield (or any substitute) on a weekend or during a sale and you'll understand. Nobody feels really guilty about environmental damages and social distress on the other side of the globe, but they got to get bags and bags full of cloths from Primark (substitute high street Primark by any brand you like) every week.

The main question is: Do we want this? If the answer's no, then do something. If the answer's yes, then that's fine as well. What I can't stand is people naively claiming that they had no idea that dirt cheap cloths/electronics/air fares could cause distress to other human beings or mother nature.

Raffles Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

Of course it would exist.

Factor in lower turnover (crew training isn't cheap) and higher salaries can even pay for themselves.

I have always over-paid people and it has always benefitted me. Our nanny works 4 hours a day during term time for £24,000 per year (and we are barely in London during the holidays) and has no relevant qualifications.

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 2017 9:50 am

deleted

TheBOSman Oct 25, 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 28975147)
I have always over-paid people and it has always benefitted me.

Might want to tell that to the folks in the Square Mile, at Canary Wharf, and on Wall Street as they don't see it that way.

Pascoe Oct 25, 2017 10:01 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 28975263)
Might want to tell that to the folks in the Square Mile, at Canary Wharf, and on Wall Street as they don't see it that way.

Not quite sure where you're going with that...