Wiki Posts
Search

Crockmon sewer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Crockmon sewer

Yesterday in Club Europe I was offered a 'crockmon sewer'.

I realize that cabin crew needn't be expected to perfect the pronunciation of every foreign language word or phrase – I can live with 'tag-liertelly' and 'Malpenzer' – but just a little training might help to maintain a decent level of professionalism.

(Far from living up to its 'crunchy' name, the offering was somewhat soggy.)
WickedStepMother and SvenAge like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:32 am

First world problems...
obduro likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
You're lucky they had any left - perhaps you were in row 1?

(Last time I was offered one of these the crew member called it a 'cheese and ham toastie'!)
Gino Troian and orlando flyer like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Thought it was some kind of plumbing issue in the Concorde Room..
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You could probably forgive someone who doesn't speak French for pronouncing it that way. After all there's not indication for that someone that you don't say Monsieur as in Mon Sieur (i.e. My Lord).

Maybe BA should call it Crunchy Lord
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Given that on this forum it is considered impolite and inappropriate to criticise posters who (to take a few random examples that happen to make my teeth grate): cannot spell 'aisle', don't appear to know the difference between 'there' and 'their', or 'your' and 'you're', or 'to' and 'too', or (worst of all) write 'I would of thought', etc., I think it is incumbent on us collectively to cut the crewmember a little slack on this occasion.

[So great to be given an opportunity to get some of that off of my chest.]
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:15 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 6:10 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CCayley
to take a few random examples that happen to make my teeth grate)
Make Ccayley's Teeth Grate Again
Lawro and frank_poulankh like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec

I realize that cabin crew needn't be expected to perfect the pronunciation of every foreign language word or phrase – I can live with 'tag-liertelly' and 'Malpenzer' – but just a little training might help to maintain a decent level of professionalism.
That, I fail to recognize. What should be?

OT - Once, in the Italian restaurant of a Caribbean resort we asked for red wine and we were offered a "kab-n" or a "merlo". We chose the merlo(t), as it took us quite some time to realize the first one was a Cabernet...

I am not native English speaker and there are words I can't really pronounce, so I can relate... but within some limits
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think "Crockmon sewer", while obviously incorrect, is close enough and not really worth worrying about.
Originally Posted by SvenAge
It's like when foreign staff work start using really strong swear words when they think it's normal... a small thing that makes me happy.
In my experience of travelling and working overseas, German and Dutch young people tend to use the f-word a lot, probably not realising just how awful it sounds to a native English speaker. I have been known to use the word myself, particularly when alone, but really cringe every time I hear it in conversation.

On an American Airlines domestic flight last week, the chap sitting behind me used the f-word very liberally in his conversations with the other passengers. (Why do Americans like to tell each other their life stories when travelling? By the end of that flight I knew exactly where every one of my fellow passengers was from, what they did, where they were going and why. They knew nothing about me). Eventually, another passenger asked him if he could tone down his language "because there are ladies present". I'm not sure which I found the more offensive.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CCayley
Given that on this forum it is considered impolite and inappropriate to criticise posters who (to take a few random examples that happen to make my teeth grate): cannot spell 'aisle', don't appear to know the difference between 'there' and 'their', or 'your' and 'you're', or 'to' and 'too', or (worst of all) write 'I would of thought', etc., I think it is incumbent on us collectively to cut the crewmember a little slack on this occasion.

[So great to be given an opportunity to get some of that off of my chest.]
I would of thought your being out of order their, but for the smiley at the end.

Crockmon Sewer sounds suitably nasty to reflect the poor quality of short/medium route CE dining. In fact "Crockmon Dieu" might be more appropriate.
Lawro likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:35 am

We are English (or Polish, or Hungarian, or Russian) we speak English.
The Frogs need to learn our language, like Disco, parachute, Helicopter, Braille, lactose, Oxide, beige, Mauve, and "we surrender" (oh wait, that last one is French)..........
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:37 am

Superb thread title - was briefly thinking to myself before clicking on it, what on earth has BA done now?!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
That, I fail to recognize. What should be?
Malpensa - i.e. MXP airport, north of Milan. (Apologies if that's stating the obvious, though highlighting "Malpenser" as an egregious example makes me wonder if I should pronounce it with more of an Italian flourish. As far as I can tell, you just need to do a Bruno Tonioli impression to pronounce it correctly).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
Malpensa - i.e. MXP airport, north of Milan. (Apologies if that's stating the obvious, though highlighting "Malpenser" as an egregious example makes me wonder if I should pronounce it with more of an Italian flourish. As far as I can tell, you just need to do a Bruno Tonioli impression to pronounce it correctly).
Lynnartay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.