Wiki Posts
Search

How do BA calculate flight distance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
How do BA calculate flight distance?

I've wondered for a while why the Avios I'm awarded always seems to be a little bit less than the minimum actual distance flown between two airports. Last week when we boarded at ATH, the screen display showed a distance of 1,509 miles to LHR. This corresponds pretty well with a "great circle" distance calculator on my computer which gives 1,511 miles. In fact BA award me 1,494 miles (exclusive of any bonus) for the journey. Although I don't have the figures to hand, I had a similar experience on the route to HEL recently too.

As the "great circle" distance is the minimum possible one between any two points, my question is whether BA have found some secret way of taking a slice through the earth's surface to calculate a shorter distance???
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Ground miles compared to miles flown at ~35,000 ft? The latter will be slightly further because of the curvature of the earth
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Do they do it from city centre to city centre?

I guess in some cases it could work in your favour, e.g., LCY-ORY is 5 miles further by the great circle than LON-PAR.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
Ground miles compared to miles flown at ~35,000 ft? The latter will be slightly further because of the curvature of the earth
Exactly. So how on earth can you get a distance LESS than ground miles??
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cymro
Do they do it from city centre to city centre?
This seems plausible, as ATH-LCY is 1,492 miles great circle.

Also, ATH-LON (using the LON metro area code) is 1,500 miles great circle, and ATH airport is about 12 miles to the far side of the city centre of Athens.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by IanAsiaTraveller
As the "great circle" distance is the minimum possible one between any two points, my question is whether BA have found some secret way of taking a slice through the earth's surface to calculate a shorter distance???
For flights under a certain distance, we can assume BA ignores the GC and just measures a straight line through the earth connecting the two city centres.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Originally Posted by IanAsiaTraveller
Exactly. So how on earth can you get a distance LESS than ground miles??
Good point! Circumference of the earth is 24,901 miles, the circumference of an orbit at 35,000 ft is about 20 miles more. I can see why the miles flown quoted onboard would be longer than the shortest ground distance.

The calculator you used may assume an average ground altitude above sea level, BA may assume sea level.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This seems plausible, as ATH-LCY is 1,492 miles great circle.

Also, ATH-LON (using the LON metro area code) is 1,500 miles great circle, and ATH airport is about 12 miles to the far side of the city centre of Athens.
Yes this does sound the most likely explanation, thank you. I will have to check on my next flight.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Perhaps it's which ever "London" airport is closest. London Oxford heading west, London Southend heading east. Gatwick heading due south.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
The Avios / TP calculator gives the same 1494 miles whether you fly LHR-ATH or LGW-ATH, so it looks like it's measured from Charring Cross or similar .
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
The Avios / TP calculator gives the same 1494 miles whether you fly LHR-ATH or LGW-ATH, so it looks like it's measured from Charring Cross or similar .
If you ask gcmap.com to plot LCY, LGW and LHR whilst drawing radii for 723mi@OSL,654mi@NCE in the Ranges box the place where those paths cross looks north of all the airports (and Charring Cross). It looks more "in the middle" if STN is added.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
There is no logic to it.

ARN-LCY (when BA flew the route) used to give 891 miles but ARN-LHR comes in at 890 miles despite probably 20 miles further to fly.

Great circle gives 894 for ARN-LCY and 911 for ARN-LHR so I guess Charing Cross would be around 900 miles so BA are short-changing me either way!

My guess would be that there is a table somewhere in BA's IT systems that has all the route distances hardcoded into it. When a new route is added, the award mileage has to be included but over the years this has been done by different people using slightly different calculation methods.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
There's also that oddity where BA thinks the distance to a destination is different to the distance back to LHR. I know that Boston flights have given me 1 less Avios for the return flight, and I think there may be a couple of other destinations thst are like this too.

Edit: tigertanaka got there before me!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
There's also that oddity where BA thinks the distance to a destination is different to the distance back to LHR. I know that Boston flights have given me 1 less Avios for the return flight, and I think there may be a couple of other destinations thst are like this too.

Edit: tigertanaka got there before me!
ARN-LON got you 891 miles each way for LCY and 890 for LHR no matter what direction you went.

BA's systems are seriously weird if you get a different amount for one way compared to the other.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
My guess would be that there is a table somewhere in BA's IT systems that has all the route distances hardcoded into it. When a new route is added, the award mileage has to be included
Yes, almost... only the table and the logic are owned by Avios Group, not BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.