Taxes on Avios Upgrade

Old Oct 22, 17, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Taxes on Avios Upgrade

Pricing a GLA-LHR-LAS and its coming in at £884 return in PEC but when i do a points upgrade it jumps to £1614 + 55000 points

£730 surcharge on taxes and fees to use your miles ???

I remember it used to be £125 each way to Vegas ? Whats happening
Old Oct 22, 17, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

The price of the actual flight is shown as £487 fare plus £397 taxes, fees per person.

When you do the cash plus upgrade it changes to a £1124 fare plus £490 taxes, fees per person.

Surely the whole point of a cash plus upgrade is that the price of the actual FARE doesnt change. Then you use your miles plus a slight difference in fees for the upgrade part.

BA are at it. Pure and simple.
Old Oct 22, 17, 11:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Take a look at the actually booking code, it probably goes from T to something else for the initial WTP. You can probably call them up and get the lower price with the Avios upgrade (if Avios is available). Also the "taxes" aren't only taxes, but also carrier surcharge. i.e. YQ. YQ is higher for business than WTP.
Old Oct 23, 17, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by dolfinco View Post
The price of the actual flight is shown as £487 fare plus £397 taxes, fees per person.

When you do the cash plus upgrade it changes to a £1124 fare plus £490 taxes, fees per person.
Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
Take a look at the actually booking code, it probably goes from T to something else for the initial WTP.
Glitch, I reckon.

The base fare of £487 is the lowest T class DIF for those travel dates. The base fare of £1,124 is the lowest E class fare. At a guess, the DIFs have bamboozled the UuA pricing logic again.

If there is U class for the UuA, then I would just phone to do it - and explain that you got a crazy price from ba.com that looked like it had to be wrong.

The only thing that gives me pause is that ITA prices your exact itinerary using a £717 base fare for the outbound sector and that £487 base fare for the inbound. ba.com uses the £487 fare for both halves. I haven't looked at the fare rules of these fares, but it is possible that the ba.com quote is also wrong in the sense that it's offering you a DIF that isn't actually available or valid for sale. However, my guess there is that ITA is using the wrong DIF because it's seeing different underlying WT availability and therefore quoting the wrong DIF.
Old Oct 23, 17, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
It's a glitch, albeit one that might make money for BA.

Either way, the solution is to book the cheap fare, then phone to upgrade. If the avios availabiltiy somehow evaporates in the meantime, cancel within the 24-hour cooling off period.
Old Oct 23, 17, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Will give them a call.
Old Oct 23, 17, 3:08 am

This is a very common issue.

Upgrading with Avios breaks the tax calculation. It essentially calculates your tax as a new individual leg. Calling BA won't do any good as the agent will get the same calculation.

You need to fill in the refund request form on BA.com in order to get it looked at.

Just double check your projected Tier Points first. I've made a UuA booking which cost an extra £40 in taxes than it should. However, it's giving me an extra 30 tier points so I'm not gonna be asking for a refund on that. This also highlights that upgrading single sectors is a complex thing and not always in BA's favor.

It can be even trickier to figure out what you should be paying as it's quite difficult to replicate multi class itineraries, especially if you have Club, WTP and ET mixed together.
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Plenty of reports of this on here over the last few weeks / months... book the best price online in WT+ and call to UuA just paying the additional £150 or whatever it is taxes plus the Avios
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Plenty of reports of this on here over the last few weeks / months... book the best price online in WT+ and call to UuA just paying the additional £150 or whatever it is taxes plus the Avios
Having just had to deal with this call centre issue for the first time, I thought I would pass on what I've learned.

The itinerary that I wanted could not be booked online. It was EUR-LHR-XXX in J then XXX-LHR in W, with the intention of UuAing the XXX-LHR.

On initially calling to book, I was quoted a fare that was higher than that which ITA had quoted. The booking classes were correct, so of course it turned out that the XXX-LHR was not priced using the applicable DIF. But the DIF should have been valid, because it could be booked online using a LHR-XXX-LHR itinerary all in W, there was plenty of availability right through the Y booking classes, and ITA had quoted.

I told the agent what I suspected, and he was able to ask the machine for another quote "using specific dates" to try to get the DIF. That worked, and the whole transaction (including UuA) then went through with no more trouble.

So perseverance with this should work, so long as you already know that the DIF ought to work.
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:36 pm

Silly question but what is a DIF ?

I tried to do a search but the forum won't let me look for it.
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wytco0 View Post
Silly question but what is a DIF ?

I tried to do a search but the forum won't let me look for it.
The relatively new DIF fares have appeared from around mid-2016 on ba.com. They are a new type of fare to BA which effectively is almost like a POUG except the cost of the upgrade is included in the booking. They seem to be appearing mostly when purchasing WTP seats, and need inventory in both an economy and premium economy booking class. There have been difficulties with the fare mostly around attempting to upgrade in to CW using a GUF or by UuA.

There is more discussion in the linked posts:
Why can't I find this ba.com fare on ITA Matrix?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ount-code.html
wytco0 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 17, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wytco0 View Post
Silly question but what is a DIF?
You can use search if you put quote marks around the term. Try clicking here to see such a search set up.

For a more concrete example, take the following hypothetical T class fares valid for the dates of a particular trip:-
Code:
TLXRC1UKF/DIF4BA       T        Round-Trip  766.00 (GBP)
TLXRC1UKF/DIF4BA       T        Round-Trip  806.00 (GBP)
TLXAPGB       BA       T        Round-Trip  1103.00 (GBP)
The way that the DIFs work is something like this: For any of these fares to be used, there must be T class availability. If there is S class availability, then the £766 fare can be used. If there is no S class availability but there is N class availability, then the £806 fare can be used. If there is no S class or N class availability, then the £1103 fare is the one used to price the trip.

The actual rules for each fare will be specific to itself, but this should give you an idea of the mechanism involved.

The way that BA is currently using DIFs, it is very difficult in respect of each DIF to know which economy booking class must have availability. Other airlines' DIFs are more transparent, as indeed BA's previous method was.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: