How long needed to enjoy Gatwick lounge

Old Oct 22, 17, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
How long needed to enjoy Gatwick lounge

Flying short haul next summer to Sevilla in Club Europe - flight is at 13:50 so when would you experienced Club Europe flyers suggest we arrive at Gatwick so we can take advantage of the lounge facilities?

Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
You'll probably get widely differing answers on this one, but it's ultimately down to individual preference of course.

I'm generally a 60 mins or 90 mins max (in lounge) sort of guy. Some people have spent 11 hours in lounges - by choice

It's a nice lounge, great views. Maybe for your first time pitch up around noon and enjoy some lunch there.
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Boarding will probably start around 1320 ( with the gate announced before then) (My flight to edinburgh was called for boarding 40mins prior as we had to get our photographs checked by 1 person as we were on a domestic flight- which will not apply to you) so getting to the lounge about 1145-1200 will give you time to relax.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's a nice lounge, it's perfectly possible to spend a few hours in there between flights, and it's good for a breakfast, but whether it's worth spending more time there is moot.

An hour pre boarding would be enough to enjoy the experience of a glass of wine and a sandwich, so 90 minutes before the departure time, something like that. There's a shortcut route to it to the left after security that avoids you having to go through the duty free.

Enjoy it, lounges and priority boarding get a bit addictive.
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Club lounge is very nice at Gatwick! Mrs P and I spent an hour or two in there in June when we went to St Lucia. In all honestly we preferred it to the First lounge it is very light airy and spacious. We found a nice quiet spot upstairs.
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
It's a nice lounge, great views. Maybe for your first time pitch up around noon and enjoy some lunch there.
Yes, I would agree with this, in a way it's perhaps better to undershoot a bit, since if you like it, maybe you'll come back for a longer visit the next time, if you don't like it then you're not there long enough to get seriously bored. But it is perhaps one the finest lounges of its type around, perhaps in the European top 10, for those without status.

You don't need to allow too long for security or check-in, particularly if HBO or prepared to use the self tagging baggage machines.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 22, 17 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 22, 17, 5:06 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
LGW hybrid lounge

Having experienced T5ís First Lounge and the First Wing on what was an incredibly busy Friday, the latter was a breeze. Sadly the lounge was heaving and, with the start of half term for fee-paying schools, any hope of tranquility was shattered by hoards of children running around, screaming.

Based on this highly unpleasant experience Iíve cancelled my next two planned trips via LHR in favour of Gatwick where the new lounge experience is a delight - partly I think because it is a hybrid of both CCR and First lounges, catering for both. The Sussex staff are friendly, welcoming and attentive.
Old Oct 22, 17, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jammers20 View Post
Flying short haul next summer to Sevilla in Club Europe - flight is at 13:50 so when would you experienced Club Europe flyers suggest we arrive at Gatwick so we can take advantage of the lounge facilities?

Thanks.
I generally aim to be at an airport 2 hours in advance....that gives you contingency if anything goes wrong with transport, plus delays at security, plus time in the lounge, before an unhurried walk to the gate. I like to try and make it stress-free. If i'm using the Flounge at LHR and know I want to eat, I'll add 30-60 minutes. So I guess I'd say aim to arrive around 11ish if you want to have a decent relax in the lounge.
Old Oct 22, 17, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I'd say arrive about 11:30, if I remember right that means you can have breakfast when you arrive and lunch before you leave :-)

I'm told by Mrs Firstlight (Silver) when she goes there with various firstlight progeny they sometimes have champagne on free pour as well.
Old Oct 22, 17, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
it's an ok lounge but it is just a lounge. Everything will be self-service (buffet, drink, etc) so no need to factor in preparation time. I'd arrive between 12 and 12.30, that will give you 30-60 minutes in the lounge which is plenty in my view especially as you'll have a full meal onboard.
Old Oct 22, 17, 12:43 pm

I would say that it depends on the contingency required by your journey there.

If you have a short and/or predictable journey there, I'd say an hour in the lounge would be plenty to relax. If you will be throwing yourself on the mercies of the M25 travel gods for example, (as I have to) then I'd add an extra hour to travel time with a view to spending it in the lounge if all goes well.
Old Oct 22, 17, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I'll aim for 11 to 11:30.Thanks again!
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by SxMan View Post
Based on this highly unpleasant experience Iíve cancelled my next two planned trips via LHR in favour of Gatwick where the new lounge experience is a delight - partly I think because it is a hybrid of both CCR and First lounges, catering for both. The Sussex staff are friendly, welcoming and attentive.

Have to say i agree. Came through LGW a week ago & the 1st lounge service was excellent. The staff were on a far higher level than at T5. I was stunned when I heard one of the staff say "Enjoy your breakfast sir" as somebody walked away from the breakfast buffet.
Old Oct 23, 17, 10:59 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Ex cabin crew in lounge

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob View Post
Have to say i agree. Came through LGW a week ago & the 1st lounge service was excellent. The staff were on a far higher level than at T5. I was stunned when I heard one of the staff say "Enjoy your breakfast sir" as somebody walked away from the breakfast buffet.
I happen to know that a few ex cabin crew, from both LGW and LHR work in the Gatwick lounges for the catering firm there, but donít make it widely known - so they had excellent BA customer service training which really shows. Sometimes I think they think they are still serving in the air!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: