Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

X Factor contestants flying ex-EU to judges houses

Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

X-Factor on tv right now. Contestants sent to rainy Dublin for judges houses, then only told there they are going to SFO instead, business class on Air Lingus. Made me smile... BA probably too cheap to offer sponsorship for flights out of Heathrow
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
You should have been watching Strictly on the other side ....

Why sponsor the X Factor when you can have Anton onboard, eh ?
Tiffywren likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
You should have been watching Strictly on the other side ....
Interesting to see product placement on the BBC! Even if it was the old WT and WTP cabins...
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don’t think that the general public would notice this, our training mockups don’t have our new seats fitted.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by above the clouds
.. BA probably too cheap to offer sponsorship for flights out of Heathrow
More likely that BA refused to pay what the production company demanded to be on the show in addition to the cost of the flights for the contestants and production crew.

They would have shopped around until they found an airline stupid enough to cough up the cash they demanded.

As to Strictly yes it was BA staff etc but unless you knew the uniform etc you wouldn't necessarilly know it was BA and might think they were actors on a BBC set.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:25 pm

X-Factor on tv right now. Contestants sent to rainy Dublin for judges houses, then only told there they are going to SFO instead, business class on Air Lingus. Made me smile... BA probably too cheap to offer sponsorship for flights out of Heathrow
Aer Lingus saw a good PR chance and grabbed it. I do not remember seeing anything like that for BA recently.
godsavethepoints likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:44 pm

then only told there they are going to SFO
wont they have needed to apply for work visas or do things like X factor not count?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
So technically they did go to Dublin - Dublin CA!

it's definitely a bit misleading though, there's no way they wouldn't have been aware they were going to the US, as they would have had to get visas in order. They probably qualify for a B1 Visa Waiver but they would still need ESTAs and other people cannot (well, should not) apply for those in your behalf.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
but they would still need ESTAs and other people cannot (well, should not) apply for those in your behalf.
Ok according to the rules and lots of tour groups/travel agents do it for clients.

Can someone else apply for me if I don’t have access to the Internet?

Yes, a friend, relative, travel industry professional or another third party may file an application on your behalf. A third party may also pay the application fees on behalf of the traveler or a group of travelers. However, the traveler is responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of all information submitted on his or her behalf.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...eet_esta_4.pdf
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, one of my favourite programmes of the year.

Reviewing the flights segment on ITV Player...

(i) At 3.16 to 3.28 the boys are delighted to see that they are flying to Istanbul when they are next to a large sign saying Turkish Airlines (although to be fair they could have thought that they might be connecting and at 3.30 to 3.33 the gentleman explains that he does not know where Istanbul is)

(ii) 4.19 - what is the passport?

(iii) 4.25 - boarding from the back of the plane - remote stand on a between service aircraft?

(iv) 4.33 - note that hi-viz jacket in the background - ground agent?

(v) 4.26 to 4.34 - I note that no other passengers appear to be in the cabin

(vi) 4.35 to 4.36 - note the sunshine then the rain are not consistent

(vii) 4.44 to 5.11 - note the Aer Lingus banners, models and general nice soft furnishings and wood - it does not look like a lounge - Aer Lingus HQ?

(viii) 5.14 to 5.24 - the contestants are enjoying business class but note that the lady enjoying the inboard right hand side seat at 5.16 (i.e. the left from the perspective of the camera) is not the same lady who is enjoying the same seat at 5.18

I love watching the X Factor for the editing, but they have dropped the ball here and it looks too contrived.

For the avoidance of doubt I am sure the contestants all had the time of their lives and I am not in any way discussing them, just the editing.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Oct 21, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you lot not got anything better to do on a Saturday evening?

Posting this from the comfort of my armchair while the wife watches 'The Closer' some US produced dross.
DrGee likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
(iv) 4.33 - note that hi-viz jacket in the background - ground agent?
CEO.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kyanar
So technically they did go to Dublin - Dublin CA!

it's definitely a bit misleading though, there's no way they wouldn't have been aware they were going to the US, as they would have had to get visas in order. They probably qualify for a B1 Visa Waiver but they would still need ESTAs and other people cannot (well, should not) apply for those in your behalf.
They do need an ESTA but you can in theory apply for this online right up to a few hours before your flight. I doubt they did this though as it is risky + if any of the contestants have criminal records they wouldn't be able to go. I imagine they sorted all that stuff out well in advance.

I actually realised the day before a flight to the US that my ESTA had expired and went to apply online. The ESTA site was offline for maintenance and was not due back up until right before my flight! Thankfully it came back up early, I applied and received approval 2-3 hours before my flight. Even then, the American Airlines staff couldn't see it on their system and didn't want to let me fly. Thankfully it came into their system after a few mins and I was all good. I will be very careful to never make that mistake again.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:50 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Enigma368
They do need an ESTA but you can in theory apply for this online right up to a few hours before your flight. I doubt they did this though as it is risky + if any of the contestants have criminal records they wouldn't be able to go. I imagine they sorted all that stuff out well in advance.

I actually realised the day before a flight to the US that my ESTA had expired and went to apply online. The ESTA site was offline for maintenance and was not due back up until right before my flight! Thankfully it came back up early, I applied and received approval 2-3 hours before my flight. Even then, the American Airlines staff couldn't see it on their system and didn't want to let me fly. Thankfully it came into their system after a few mins and I was all good. I will be very careful to never make that mistake again.
TV shows often do a background check on contestants after a certain stage to check for anything that might otherwise surface, so a conviction would have been known about by the production company.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Contestants have had issues in the past with visas etc.

I believe Ivy was simply a visa-national and it wasnt approved in time: http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/19/the-x-...ssues-6137487/

I do also recall another year in which a three member band had to leave someone behind as he couldnt go to the USA for judges houses. I believe he was British in that case so maybe refused for some other reason (criminal record, etc): http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/01/the-x-...ouses-4129583/

As an aside, it is quite unfair that they should lose their place on a British talent show because they cant enter the US. They could just as easily make that round in the UK if they wanted to - seems a bit cruel for someone who is talented to be denied the same opportunity as the other contestants because they cant get into a country that has nothing to do with the show.

Last edited by HarryKUK; Oct 21, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.