Travel insurance for TP running

Old Oct 21, 17, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Travel insurance for TP running

Just looking at travel insurance, and an annual policy. On the first quote I had, I read the policy document and noticed it was only valid for trips commencing in and returning to the UK, and that the traveller should have a return ticket.

How does this fit in with TP running where (for example) you position to a European city before going to the US?
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Given that you have to position from the UK to the European start point, you would be within the terms of the policy.
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't part of the issue whether the travel insurance policy covers "connections" across separate tickets?
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Isn't part of the issue whether the travel insurance policy covers "connections" across separate tickets?

Yes, this is the question really. I'm looking at a few alternative policies, wouldn't like to be in the US without health insurance. Don't really care about cancellation and baggage insurance.
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
Yes, this is the question really. I'm looking at a few alternative policies, wouldn't like to be in the US without health insurance. Don't really care about cancellation and baggage insurance.
Have a look at World Nomads. You can put in destinations separately. Iíve used them for a few years now (thankfully never had to use them though).

S
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
Don't even think about visiting the USA without decent health insurance. Health care can be shockingly expensive here.
jjmiller69 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I've got insurance with Essential and they mention that starting in the UK thing.

I take that to mean that as long as I leave the UK and return sometime in the maximum 45 day period, anything in-between is classed part of that "up to 45 days" trip.
Most people don't do straight A to B travel with a 100% fixed itinerary so unless you're planning on visiting somewhere with a higher associated risk i.e. Chernobyl, Rio's Favelas etc., side trips should be fine.
trooper and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 9:56 am

That's the interpretation I've taken in the end - I couldn't find anything without that wording and logically a multiple destination holiday over a period isn't that unusual and unlikely to be excluded.
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Uber 5.0 :D
The Ts&Cs of our Annual Worldwide Multi-trip cover state:

Your holiday or journey must begin and end in your home area, (unless you have arranged cover for a one-way trip).

Well, our holiday does indeed meet that criterion, being a multi-stop itinerary starting in London with nights in Sofia, Doha, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hanoi, Danang and Hong Kong... returning to London at the end.

It also consists of multiple tickets booked at different times: LHR-SOF-LHR, SOF-DOH-BKK-DOH-SOF, BKK-CNX, Chiang Mai to Bangkok by train, BKK-HAN, DAD-HKG, HKG-BKK but I think it would be hugely unjust for any insurer to assert that it did not fall within the above definition !

Last edited by Fitch; Oct 21, 17 at 10:29 am
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:23 am

deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 17 at 8:24 am
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
If that were to be an exclusion it would have to be specifically excluded in the policy. Provided a 'trip' begins and ends in the insured's home country cover should be provided, it doesn't matter how many tickets, airlines or modes of transport are involved.
littlefish and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
I had to make a claim on my John Lewis Travel Insurance for a re-routing last year, when there was a brief zika outbreak in Singapore (we found out my wife was pregnant a week before departure). Had to pay to get re-routed from OSL-DOH-SIN to OSL-DOH-BKK.

JLTI didn't question the ex-EU element, didn't care that I was on separate tickets (BA to OSL, QR to SIN). They covered the cost of the re-route and also the pre-booked hotels and other internal flights in Asia that needed changed.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
If that were to be an exclusion it would have to be specifically excluded in the policy. Provided a 'trip' begins and ends in the insured's home country cover should be provided, it doesn't matter how many tickets, airlines or modes of transport are involved.
Thanks Tobias-UK, that was my understanding of such policies, but always good to hear the lawyer confirm.
Old Oct 21, 17, 11:05 am

Don't even think about visiting the USA without decent health insurance. Health care can be shockingly expensive here.
Be careful not to over generalize on this topic. There are low cost "minute clinics" where you can see a nurse practitioner inside of most drug stores and Walmarts. There has also been an explosion of reasonably priced emergency care clinics in most major cities that will do x-rays and diagnose more severe problems. You don't have to go to a hospital unless you have a major issue. I'd still want to make sure I always had health insurance, but you're safe to get one with a high deductible.
Old Oct 21, 17, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One should distinguish between the various risks under the insurance policy.
For the majority of risks, what matters is the time elapsed between departure from the UK and return to the UK. This can be on different tickets, different modes of transport (train, boat, plane, etc...). Those two points will mark the beginning and end of the trip. If the duration of the trip is within the maximum specified in the contract of insurance for any single trip within the insurance period, then the individual is generally covered by the insurance whereas she is not covered if the duration of the trip exceeds the maximum period for a single trip.

Apart from that, the insurance policy will also cover specific risks associated with transportation itself, such as delayed departure, missed departure or missed connection, flight cancellation, etc.. The terms of these provisions in many travel insurance contracts sold in the UK typically restrict cover the the flight departing from te UK or returning to the UK, with any sub-journey nested into it not covered. For instance, if you book a return flight to AMS and a separate flight AMS-JFK-AMS, your travel insurance would cover you if you missed your UK-AMS flight for one of the reasons specified in the insurance terms (car breakdown, failure of public transport, typically) but you would not be covered if you missed the departure of your AMS-JFK (even though you would still be covered for other risks under the policy (such as, e.g., medical treatment and repatriation) wherever you are during your time away, including the Netherlands, the US or anywhere else within the territorial cover of the insurance.

Search this Thread