"Luxury" BA holiday deals

Old Oct 21, 17, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
"Luxury" BA holiday deals

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...b-europe-deals

This may already have been mentioned - I couldn't find a thread for them but I've been travelling and might have missed something.

But less for the deals, and more for the definition of "luxury" for the IST £299 option. Which notes in the hotel description that the more "economic" rooms are in the basement of the hotel...

Without windows.

There are those no doubt who'd pay extra for dungeon accommodation of this quality.
Old Oct 21, 17, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Feature packed European business class
Old Oct 21, 17, 5:09 am

I guess BA flyers are a receptive market for anything with a hint of masochism.
abeyro likes this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well, for those of us who enjoy the corporate turn of phrase, BA.com says the following of the Sultan House Hotel:

"Guests booking economic rooms should note that these are located in the basement of the hotel [and] are windowless rooms."

Still, for a couple on a TP run, 3 nights bed and breakfast and 160 TPs then in my view £299 per person is pretty good. And the location is pretty fantastic, a very atmospheric part of Sultanahmet. The rooms can be seen here (5 photos on the sequence):
http://www.sultanhouse.com/index.php...nomic-room.php

Having said that, the nearby Avicenna Hotel is a mere £2 more expensive per person, has windows, and from the 5 photos it looks fine, if a little pokey:
http://www.avicennahotel.com/en-gb/r...-twin-room.htm

And in fact there are some real bargains in there on the more upscale hotels.
Old Oct 21, 17, 5:46 am

I agree - I think IST is a fascinating destination, and I'd probably have a go at the basement rooms too if I'm perfectly honest. There are some affiliate cashback sites with deals on BA holidays - 2.02% on one.
Old Oct 21, 17, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Skywards (recently 'enhanced' to Blue !)
In all fairness I'd say that these sort of prices are indeed quite attractive, taking the whole package into account.

As far as windowless rooms are concerned (guaranteed to dampen the mood on arrival after a midhaul flight, anywhere in the world), I believe (?) there is invariably an option to upgrade room types, and sometimes for a relatively small premium.

On the matter of BA hyperbole and the often bizarre language appearing in its promotional & marketing material : safe to say it takes the notion of poetic licence to a whole new level. The likes of Wordsworth, Keats and Tennyson don't even come close.
Old Oct 21, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Slightly OT and newbie question...

I had a look at the "Holiday deal finder" page, and could only select departures from London - how does one get to add on the flights from/ to Up North?

(Having done it by phone as a later add on to a BA holiday, when I was told I could have just booked the whole thing online).
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tocsin View Post
Slightly OT and newbie question...

I had a look at the "Holiday deal finder" page, and could only select departures from London - how does one get to add on the flights from/ to Up North?
First check the deal finder to get some plausible dates, fares wise. Then just type ba.com/flights (it's a direct shortcut which works on most browsers) and select some NCL-LHR-IST flights in line with the deal finder results. Then go through the usual flight only selections and prices, the next screen should give the hotel options, select accordingly and you may or may not get a bargain.

For example selecting 28 November out, 30 November back, in ET gives £189 NCL-LHR-IST return plus 2 nights bed and breakfast at the Avicenna for a solo traveller. If starting at LHR-IST only then it is £140, so a fairly modest £50 uplift for starting / ending from Newcastle.
T8191, Tocsin and Rufin like this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, MUCCIx4, and 'stuff'..
Thanks, c-w-s ... a bit of a PITA process-wise, but having done some exploring to find ways of spending money that corner of BA.com is apparently both functional and utile.

I guess a phone call to BAEC might bolt on the connection? i have had some good results by calling.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 21, 17 at 12:26 pm Reason: phone?
Old Oct 21, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
First check the deal finder to get some plausible dates, fares wise. Then just type ba.com/flights (it's a direct shortcut which works on most browsers) and select some NCL-LHR-IST flights in line with the deal finder results. Then go through the usual flight only selections and prices, the next screen should give the hotel options, select accordingly and you may or may not get a bargain.

For example selecting 28 November out, 30 November back, in ET gives £189 NCL-LHR-IST return plus 2 nights bed and breakfast at the Avicenna for a solo traveller. If starting at LHR-IST only then it is £140, so a fairly modest £50 uplift for starting / ending from Newcastle.
Thank you, thank you! Iím in Glasgow and I have been looking for a straightforward way to do this.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:51 am

Also worth mentioning in this vague context that the BA hotel deals tagged on to bookings are often pretty good - particularly for airport hotels where I guess they have a deal for staff. I just booked a Boston Hotel at a discount of about £20+tax less than I could find elsewhere.
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For one person, the Avicenna is only 44 Euro tonight, or 59 Euro for a superior room. This includes breakfast and internet.
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Thanks also, c-w-s - will try that!

Search this Thread