Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Dailymail- Bed bugs on BA Flight?

deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:26 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I think we need a Daily Mail Master Thread...

Globalist
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Hello, now I know that many complains have been posted here about dirty planes and seats with BA, but it seems this one takes the cake!
Complaints about bedbugs on BA are not novel. If you use the FT search function, you'll easily find previous threads about these.
If this happened to me, and if the article happened, it seems to have happened as BA have 'apologised', I would have asked to have been offloaded immediately.
"Half-an-hour to an hour" into the flight, when the meal service had already started? Good luck, DB Cooper!
KARFA and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's so bad, it horrifies me that this may happen one day. Other carriers have had instances of this too, though.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Daily Mail or not, not a nice experience. BA hardly the only airline to suffer.

I assume it is quite a job to fumigate a aircraft.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester

Very true.

I actually got bitten on a recent flight from Hong Kong in First. These things happen.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:35 am

This absolutely isn't unique to BA and it certainly looks like a horrible experience.

However what this seems to show is that this lady was most likely so frustrated by the awful response from Customer Relations that she felt her only recourse was via the media.

We have seen that time and time again from complaints here - if BA simply did a mea culpa took ownership and resolved the issue then a huge amount of aggro and bad feeling would be saved on all sides.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by daily mail
'It was about half-an-hour to an hour into the flight I saw one. It was coming out of the back of the TV screen.
If this happened to me, and if the article happened, it seems to have happened as BA have 'apologised', I would have asked to have been offloaded immediately.
Another one of your specials there, ahmetdouas.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:56 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
We have seen that time and time again from complaints here - if BA simply did a mea culpa took ownership and resolved the issue then a huge amount of aggro and bad feeling would be saved on all sides.
There's probably a happy medium somewhere in between - some passengers need to stop trying to secure financial recompense for every perceived slight no matter how small, and BA needs to move away from its default position that all passengers are trying to do just that. It's also an inevitable effect of the desire to get cases closed and passengers off their back as quickly as possible for cost reasons - there simply isn't the time to listen properly to passenger grievances and respond to them effectively in the first place.

Going OT - I suppose this is also one of the potential downsides of Airbnb - the owner is probably going to have a difficult and expensive time eradicating said pests now as well.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester

Indeed, cost of fumigation, airplane out of service, and in peak season no doubt delayed flights with EC261 all round.

I'm sure this is an operational hazard, in this case compounded by poor recovery by the airline.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
As a tip, a friend of a friend in New York said that the way she combats the danger of bedbugs is to put her clothes in the freezer if she thinks she's been in an infected place. In New York that could be just about anywhere. Apparently the cold really does kill them.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Concerto
As a tip, a friend of a friend in New York said that the way she combats the danger of bedbugs is to put her clothes in the freezer if she thinks she's been in an infected place. In New York that could be just about anywhere. Apparently the cold really does kill them.

Or just weave in a quick sector to Svalborg and go for a walk.
ahmetdouas and adrianlondon like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed, cost of fumigation, airplane out of service, and in peak season no doubt delayed flights with EC261 all round.

I'm sure this is an operational hazard, in this case compounded by poor recovery by the airline.
Happy to be corrected, but it may even be more than fumigation required. We had a very serious case at home many years ago and the mattress, carpet, skirting etc were doused heavily with a liquid spray, and the headboard was destroyed. The mattress was wet for a day. I wouldn't be surprised if the cabin needs to be partially dismantled to get under the seats/carpet etc.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When I worked in hotels Bed Bugs were an expensive nuisance (not surprisingly more common at the airport hotels) and not a sign of cleanliness. Not detectable until they're literally visible and biting. The problem would require six rooms to go offline; one either side and the three opposite. All would need bombing and most soft furnishings destroying. I dread to think of the time and cost of doing this to an aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.