Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by simons1
Yes but IT has never been BA's strong point.

And in any case 99.999% is not 100%.
It’s as close as you’re going to get in the real world which, as we are referring to it, has meant that I have had to chase the last four of my partner trips. I have a flight with QR tomorrow so let’s see if we can get that up to five.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just to finish off my contributions to this thread...

We flew back BKK-DOH on a QR 380, DOH-SOF on a 320 the SOF-LHR on a BA 320 (separate ticket).

Check-in at BKK
We asked if our bags could be checked through to London on our separate BA ticket from SOF. "Of course, sir" she answered with a smile. Not only that, she was able to issue boarding passes for the BA flight despite it being on a BA ticket and more than 24 hours in the future.
Score: QR 1, BA 0

BKK-DOH on a QR 380
All I did was sleep. To be fair to BA, I have been just as comfortable in a CW seat.
Score: QR 1, BA 1

Connecting at DOH
Wewere bussed to the terminal, but this was by dedicated premium coach and once in the door there was no check of any kind - we walked straight into the gate area for our 7 hour overnight layover. The Al-Mourjan lounge was fully open and food and drink selection was good. The only bum note was the "Quiet Zone" which was utterly useless for getting any rest. For some reason, they have kitted it out in hard surfaces and a high roof, so the slightest sound carries. Not to mention that staff are useless when it comes to telling other pax to pipe down. A big minus for QR and DOH here If I had to spend 7 hours overnight in an airport, I would rather do so in the CCR than the Al-Moujan lounge (yes, I know T5 is closed overnight...)
Score: QR 0, BA 0 (strictly speaking DOH 0, LHR 0)

DOH-SOF on a QR 320
Breakfast was very nice, but the CW one stands the comparison in most ways. Seat was a recliner which was OK to nap in but miles off a CW bed (though similar I imagine to an ex-BMI mid-haul). Service was a bit patchy and dine on demand didn't really work.
Score: QR 1, BA 1

SOF-LHR on a BA 320
Dreadful flight and I will post a separate thread about the shambles we witnessed.

Baggage delivery
To cap it all, our bags were transferred seamlessly through 3 airports and on 2 separate tickets and for once the OW Priority labels seem to have worked at T5 as ours were the 3rd and 7th on the belt respectively
Score: QR 1, BA 0 ()

Overall scores: QR 4, BA 2
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Fitch

Connecting at DOH
Wewere bussed to the terminal, but this was by dedicated premium coach and once in the door there was no check of any kind - we walked straight into the gate area for our 7 hour overnight layover. The Al-Mourjan lounge was fully open and food and drink selection was good. The only bum note was the "Quiet Zone" which was utterly useless for getting any rest. For some reason, they have kitted it out in hard surfaces and a high roof, so the slightest sound carries. Not to mention that staff are useless when it comes to telling other pax to pipe down. A big minus for QR and DOH here If I had to spend 7 hours overnight in an airport, I would rather do so in the CCR than the Al-Moujan lounge (yes, I know T5 is closed overnight...)

]
Completely agree re this zone.

My flight was delayed 5 hours meaning 7 hours over night. Got a place in this zone and found the furniture is utterly unsuitable to sleep on. Also the guy next to me snored and must have kept the whole zone awake.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Connecting at DOH
Score: QR 0, BA 0 (strictly speaking DOH 0, LHR 0)...
You were bussed from an A380?

That's definitely one of the first times I've heard of that happening at DOH!

M
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
You were bussed from an A380?

That's definitely one of the first times I've heard of that happening at DOH!

M
Indeed, whilst DOH bussing is very frequent, in my experience, 388s almost always get contact gates near central point (usually A1-A7 or C1-C7 I think)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Just to finish off my contributions to this thread...

Baggage delivery
To cap it all, our bags were transferred seamlessly through 3 airports and on 2 separate tickets and for once the OW Priority labels seem to have worked at T5 as ours were the 3rd and 7th on the belt respectively
Score: QR 1, BA 0 ()
Surely this is at least .5 to BA for getting priority bags out first at LHR. Something that in my limited experience is the norm.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Snoring is just one of those things, a bit like coughing, which are unpleasant but almost entirely out of a person's control.

Chatting loudly however, and staff shrugging their shoulders, these are intensely annoying. A big black mark for DOH in my eyes.

They should rename it the Echo Chamber !
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Yeah, it does seem very unlikely that we were bussed from the A380 !! Jet leg kicking in perhaps - I will sleep some more and see if my memory improves
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
... but BA does have its uses and if you are based in the UK they are hard to get past.

It's consistency.... either bad or good, at least you know what to expect! I think you have to be British to understand the the BA cabin crew
Curious that you say this. I just took a 2 leg CW flight, and on the first leg the very personable CSD (or whatever they are now called) came and shook my hand and thanked me for my loyalty to BA. On the second leg there was not a glimmer of recognition from the CSD, even though he came and spoke to me when he took my food order.

I don't think one really does know what to expect (on the cabin crew side) and I am through and through British and don't get the wildly different attitudes of the cabin crew, which in CW/F can vary from very courteous, correct and friendly, to indifferent or even completely surly.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
It’s as close as you’re going to get in the real world which, as we are referring to it, has meant that I have had to chase the last four of my partner trips. I have a flight with QR tomorrow so let’s see if we can get that up to five.
My point entirely, there will always be cases that slip through the net and have to be chased manually. Perhaps where IRROPS are involved. Hence I don't get my knickers in a twist if occasionally I have to supply a copy of my BP.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Connecting at DOH
I totally agree with you here, it is not a restful space. But for non CCRC holders the comparison of Al Mourjan lounge would be to Galleries Club lounge or Galleries First which do not fair any better for the weary. Al Safwa, which has hotel equivalent rooms, knocks the socks off of CCR cabanas.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Snoring is just one of those things, a bit like coughing, which are unpleasant but almost entirely out of a person's control.

Chatting loudly however, and staff shrugging their shoulders, these are intensely annoying. A big black mark for DOH in my eyes.

They should rename it the Echo Chamber !
As others have said, I am also in agreement.

The Quiet Zone is one of the loudest areas of the lounge, and snoring is certainly not the worst thing that you can hear!

There is a better rest area close to the entrance to the Lounge, but obviously it's reliant on an available lounger.

M
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Some
I struggle to sleep without close to total silence and find Al Mourjan challenging to say the least.

Given the free Qatar visa on arrival for many nationalities now, I left to go to the Doubletree last time I had a 7 hour overnight layover. Through the premium arrivals lounge and back in through premium immigration and security was extremely quick (I was literally the only person in both queues!), managed about 4 hours in a proper bed. It's not free but there are a lot of competitively priced hotels near DOH which you can get for much less than the Airport Hotel, including an Uber both ways. I'd only recommend this for a very early departure before Doha traffic starts, but something to bear in mind currently.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As others have said, I am also in agreement.

The Quiet Zone is one of the loudest areas of the lounge, and snoring is certainly not the worst thing that you can hear!

There is a better rest area close to the entrance to the Lounge, but obviously it's reliant on an available lounger.

M
+1. I have tried using it a few times and it has never been good. To have it by the shower reception is in and by itself silly and people are not very respectful of silence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.