Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I know how the OP feels, when you have your first experience on a J product after alot in CW, you do wonder why bother, I've thought this more than twice but BA does have its uses and if you are based in the UK they are hard to get past.

It's consistency.... either bad or good, at least you know what to expect! I think you have to be British to understand the the BA cabin crew, I just find the ME3 staff smiles and little too forced at times.

I like QR for my now regular run to AKL, the flight leaves at the right time and gets in at the right time. I'd pick it over a stop in HKG or SIN, gives a better sleep pattern.

I'm thankful mostly for BA that its in OW, travelling on AA, QR, CX is what gets me to Gold, and then I use BA for the short haul mostly and get the benefits when I pay BA direct for a economy basic seat.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Perspicacity!! It really didn't take long at all...
Well, If I am on the board then surely I am allowed to post an opinion as we all are with our own views. What's wrong with that?

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
For those of us no longer handy for Heathrow the nonstop option is a rare thing. QR offers a OneWorld lifeline out of the awfulness of Heathrow connections. Cardiff is the latest UK airport to be put on the network.
I've never experienced 'awfulness', waited sometimes even at Fast Track when I was Silver or had any real issues connecting from EDI to LHR, very quick at flight connections but I'd still choose EDI-LHR-Far East with BA than QR EDI-DOH-Far East. I can sleep better on the longer sectors.

I sometimes wonder if there is another/parallel BA or T5 etc as overall some of the things which are posted on here it's one I really don't recognise.
HIDDY, Tobias-UK, PJSMITH0 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Don't feel ashamed! BA don't care anymore about the pax, so why should you?!

Ive just flow Swiss in F for a similar price to BA, there is no turning back now!
there is if you want to fly west
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
I'm flying to BKK 24th Dec (Ex-EU) AMS-LHR-KUL-BKK return and got it at a price comparable to HEL-BKK at the time of booking. On this occasion I chose BA as I wanted to try the CW 787 to KUL both ways. I've done the B787, A380, 777, A330 with QA and agree with some in this thread when referring to a better service on QR.

But at the risk of sounding phenomenally sexist, the cabin crew on QR are a heck of a lot cuter.

ML (AKA Sid the sexist)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
Title says it all really: why am I spending any money on shoddy CW where better alternatives exist ?

DOH-BKK on A380 - wow oh wow !! Great seat, LOVED the bar on the upper deck, food was delicious, service was stellar (no glass left unfilled), any comparison to CW would just be cruel...
Well ... you say in the title "I feel slightly ashamed" (ie flying QR .... despite being BA GGL).

But in truth, you should feel not just slightly ashamed - but thoroughly ashamed.

Now listen up : it's clearly recalcitrant defectors such as yourself who have helped keep Qatar in the top spot of the annual Skytrax Airline Quality Ratings (although BA do come close ...... just a few places behind at number 40. Shome mishtake, shurely )

Somewhat ironic, I guess, that - in addition to the high standard of Qatar's product quality, lounges, cabin service etc - BAEC status members generally get a warmer welcome on QR than they do on BA.
lhrpete and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I know how the OP feels, when you have your first experience on a J product after alot in CW, you do wonder why bother, I've thought this more than twice but BA does have its uses and if you are based in the UK they are hard to get past.

It's consistency.... either bad or good, at least you know what to expect! I think you have to be British to understand the the BA cabin crew, I just find the ME3 staff smiles and little too forced at times.

I like QR for my now regular run to AKL, the flight leaves at the right time and gets in at the right time. I'd pick it over a stop in HKG or SIN, gives a better sleep pattern.

I'm thankful mostly for BA that its in OW, travelling on AA, QR, CX is what gets me to Gold, and then I use BA for the short haul mostly and get the benefits when I pay BA direct for a economy basic seat.
That pretty much describes my flying life now, though I would add MH to the list...

I don't really have any emotional attachment to BA, it's just seems a pity that current management are such a bunch of asset-strippers
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by subject2load
BAEC status members generally get a warmer welcome on QR than they do on BA.
What's a welcome on BA I have had only had one when I was a Bronze years ago.The good news is I will be Bronze again soon so I may get another when I next fly BA.

John
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
However QR don't offer PE with the UuA possibility to CW or non stop routings from the UK to HKG/SIN etc.

Now, that 2nd paragraph is a fact
And this very fact (2nd part) does not matter to me, given that BA does not offer non stop routings from Scotland to HKG/SIN etc.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you have a good experience with whichever airline you should post it to the relevant forum of that airline.
Dearest you miss the point. It’s about taking another shot at BA. Frankly it bores me to tears.

What is so odd is that this wonderous experience is on offer for a song compared with BA. Yet CWS reports that rubbish BA are full. Now I wonder why that is faced with such excellence.

I have nothing against QR whatsoever but frankly what use us that to us travelling to Europe or the USA?
HIDDY, PETER01, golfmad and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Meh
BA has the advantages of direct flight, a pretty sterile lounge in DOH, and that cubby hole for your feet I find restrictive. Other than that QR is vastly superior, IMO.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dearest you miss the point. It’s about taking another shot at BA. Frankly it bores me to tears.

What is so odd is that this wonderous experience is on offer for a song compared with BA. Yet CWS reports that rubbish BA are full. Now I wonder why that is faced with such excellence.

I have nothing against QR whatsoever but frankly what use us that to us travelling to Europe or the USA?
This specific thread is comparing QR to BA, and many posters are Gold, so their opinions are interesting. Missed points and all that............
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by PETER01
However QR don't offer PE with the UuA possibility to CW or non stop routings from the UK to HKG/SIN etc.

Now, that 2nd paragraph is a fact
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
And this very fact (2nd part) does not matter to me, given that BA does not offer non stop routings from Scotland to HKG/SIN etc.
It suits me personally and much prefer a quick hop down to LHR from EDI then 1 long non stop flight WT+ flight to [Far East] with a possible option to UuA or AUP.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevie
This specific thread is comparing QR to BA, and many posters are Gold, so their opinions are interesting. Missed points and all that............
What has being Gold got to do with it?
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by dsf
Are you claiming that of all things, food is not a matter of personal taste? (Unless your 'however' was not meant to signify the 6th point?)
Of course, personal taste is a huge factor, and generally (but not necessarily always) there will be something for most tastes available one the menu or for order as a special meal. My point is more to do with quality and presentation - full size china crockery, better portion sizes, crisp linen, personal bread basket, soup in a bowl (the preserve of First on BA), a fresh cappuccino or espresso, and a choice of hot or cold towel to finish (rather than a surgical swab). Not what I generally experience on the upper deck of a BA 747.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
BA can't compete quality wise with AA going west or QR going east. Hopefully the QSuite will meet the privacy concerts raised about the QR A350 / B787.

I'd also like to bang my AY drum at this point. It's often much better to connect in HEL that DOH in terms of sleep time as you're not woken up 6/7 hours in to a flight to change aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.