Shocking !!! Great set of BA flights

Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Thumbs up Shocking !!! Great set of BA flights

Just did an ex DUB to USA set of four flights in Club, ticket was booked very last minute and coincided with business trips to Ireland so not your "typical" ex EU.

Some of my observations:

* Arrived at DUB in time for an earlier flight, all changed over no problem with minimum fuss

* No lines at check in on all four legs, warm and friendly check in staff doing their jobs with a smile. On board was exactly the same, smiles and warmth from all crew members

* Clean and comfortable 747 both ways to USA, toilets on both legs spotless

* Still love the BA seat: I'm not a status chaser, I chose business / club with whatever airline suits my needs and have experienced a variety of other airlines. Whilst many love the reverse herringbone seats, I personally don't like them as the small cubby hole for feet is a real issue for me when sleeping (as are the LX "throne" seats which as a SEN I tried and then actively avoided)

* Food was spot on both ways, beef was just lovely as I like it (medium) and the profiteroles were very tasty

* Didn't use IFE as I had a few box sets to catch up on via Amazon Prime but charging my tablet worked well

* Priority tagging worked well, bags were in the first wave after all the "First" tagged bags came out

* In normally don't use them but there was no wait for a shower at the very pleasant AA arrivals lounge at T3

Reading the BA forum, one could easily get the impression that the airline is a disaster and I have to confess that I was a little concerned from the forum posts as it has been about two years since I flew BA longhaul -- thankfully my experience was fantastic and would not hesitate to use them again and very excited about the next genereation Club seat (A350 ?) and the enhanced onboard service currently on JFK (one of my friends is WW crew and she said that she was very impressed with it).

Thank you BA,

A satisfied customer
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:42 am
Suspended

admittedly you did set your expectation low since the forum makes you believe in that BA is a disaster.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I loved this Forum. It has saved me ŁŁŁŁ over the years and taught me much. However, I too nearly fell in that trap. I kept thinking none of this happens to me or is it that I learnt years ago that the days of gracious and elegant flying are as dead as last years mutton.

I watch people slabbing around the airport attired as though they were going to the Laundrette. I had one man putting his feet up on the bulkhead for all to admire to name but two. They fly premier cabins and have airs and graces to match, but no class, education maybe but no manners. No, the world has changed and not for the better. We now have people ordering food and drinks and not even looking at the person in front of them. I’m paying so I’m the Big I Am. Gentlemen and Ladies stand out these days. Snobbish? You betcha, but I did my job as I love people. If I have a problem, I talk to someone not to the Internet.

BA are not perfect, they need a good kick up the backside on the Managment Team, and they are far from a luxury carrier. With their pension deficit they can’t afford to, I imagine.

So, for all it’s faults, I and millions like me stick with the tried and tested until it gets too bad. Then we leave quietly and without a fuss. I’ve always wanted - dreamed even if creating a Joan Collins drama and flouncing out the door.

Trouble is I’d start giggling at my own ridiculousness and bang would go my image forever
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Sounds like a nice experience - I definitely like the AA T3 arrivals lounge, the bathrooms are of much much higher quality than in T5 and the menu is great, though I didn't realise until now it could still be accessed if you flew into T5 (which OP presumably did given mention of a BA 747)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nh1980
Sounds like a nice experience - I definitely like the AA T3 arrivals lounge, the bathrooms are of much much higher quality than in T5 and the menu is great, though I didn't realise until now it could still be accessed if you flew into T5 (which OP presumably did given mention of a BA 747)
LAS is 747-only. Not sure about current rotations but DEN and MIA are also T3 destinations that have used the 747 in the past.
nh1980 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pdsuk
Thank you BA,

A satisfied customer
A positive review can be a bit of a rarity around here, glad you enjoyed your experience. I must say having done my first CE in a while last weekend (just LHR-BHD, so not especially far) it was quite pleasant, particularly in 1A/1C – a bite to eat, some drinks, a little more space, it’s a perfectly nice way to travel around Europe where the alternative options are really not much different.

Longhaul can be a bit of a wash, but the seat remains very comfortable and if you get newer IFE and luck out with reasonable food and attentive crew then it will be a good experience, as the case clearly was here. If one of those falls down then it tends to be a more irritating experience, as I had last month LHR-ORD-LHR, even with travelling 64K on the UD (more for nostalgia than anything else to be fair).

Being London based BA continues to make sense; if I was elsewhere that might not be the case.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I loved this Forum. It has saved me ŁŁŁŁ over the years and taught me much. However, I too nearly fell in that trap. I kept thinking none of this happens to me or is it that I learnt years ago that the days of gracious and elegant flying are as dead as last years mutton.

I watch people slabbing around the airport attired as though they were going to the Laundrette. I had one man putting his feet up on the bulkhead for all to admire to name but two. They fly premier cabins and have airs and graces to match, but no class, education maybe but no manners. No, the world has changed and not for the better. We now have people ordering food and drinks and not even looking at the person in front of them. I’m paying so I’m the Big I Am. Gentlemen and Ladies stand out these days. Snobbish? You betcha, but I did my job as I love people. If I have a problem, I talk to someone not to the Internet.

BA are not perfect, they need a good kick up the backside on the Managment Team, and they are far from a luxury carrier. With their pension deficit they can’t afford to, I imagine.

So, for all it’s faults, I and millions like me stick with the tried and tested until it gets too bad. Then we leave quietly and without a fuss. I’ve always wanted - dreamed even if creating a Joan Collins drama and flouncing out the door.

Trouble is I’d start giggling at my own ridiculousness and bang would go my image forever
My bolding

You have hit the nail on the head Pucci, I couldn't agree more ^^
Boyfrombiot likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nh1980
PHX is also T3 and 747 -- it was quite nice seeing two big BA 747s at adjacent gates at T3 !!
nh1980 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had one man putting his feet up on the bulkhead for all to admire
I have taken four domestic flights with AA in the past week, and it seems that putting one's feet on the bulkhead is the default position for the majority of passengers in the first row. There was one elderly, grey-haired couple, obviously well-to-do, both with their feet up on the bulkhead for the entire flight. It's horrible.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Meh

Most people I see and deal with in life are decent. Your post above is an over critical generalisation IMO, I see as many ill mannered passengers as I see snobs, and they are in the vast vast minority. I ignore both ends of the spectrum, and focus on my own journey, trying to be nice to people I interact with.

The way people are dressing or putting their feet up is very small stuff, and yes the world is changing dramatically, so you either embrace it, or long for yesteryear.

Just my 2 cents.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
to add to the (recent) chorus of good reviews, flew BA to NCL on Tuesday in Club. Clean plane, great breakfast, very friendly and attentive crew on a bumpy flight, lots of communication from the flight deck, easy security both ends. And cheaper than Virgin East Coast.
Another well done.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by stevie
Most people I see and deal with in life are decent. Your post above is an over critical generalisation IMO, I see as many ill mannered passengers as I see snobs, and they are in the vast vast minority. I ignore both ends of the spectrum, and focus on my own journey, trying to be nice to people I interact with.

Just my 2 cents.
Indeed. You have your opinion, and. I hold mine.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds very similar to the BA experiences I've had and those of people I know.

This forum tends to concentrate on melodrama rather than the truth.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ pdsuk : It's good - indeed refreshing - to see what an excellent experience you enjoyed on your recent BA travels : efficient, helpful staff, enjoyable food, smooth flights, prompt baggage delivery and comfortable seating. Some elements mentioned will of course always be subjective - but hey, you were clearly a happy bunny - and the fact is, that's what matters to you and any traveller, whether business or leisure. Thanks for the report ^

I picked up on your comment that "reading the BA forum, one could easily get the impression that the airline is a disaster". Personally I'm of the view that many, many people reading the forum on a regular basis would in fact be far more likely to get a picture of BA as a very inconsistent airline - rather than anything akin to 'disaster'. And that sense of inconsistency can come not only from various reports appearing here on FT (and other sites such as Skytrax), but from their own first-hand experiences too.

Whenever any of us step onto a BA aircraft - or even from the moment we book - we naturally hope to enjoy the quality of experience that you yourself did. Sometimes it happens (it certainly has to me, albeit in years past) ; but sometimes standards of service fall a long way short. Above all, I believe it is this very inconsistency which many BA customers - whether regulars or only occasional users - find most frustrating of all. I know I do.

Within the last day or so we have seen several positive reports, and full credit where credit is due.

The blunt reality - even if sometimes hard to fathom - is that the favourable feedback is about the very same airline that can often treat its passengers very badly indeed - whether in-the-air, or when responding to formal (and often very serious) complaints. It's the same airline that couldn't manage to get any food or drink to the 89 year-old mother + friends of an FT member during a recent shorthaul flight - not even a cup of water ; all because they were seated near the very back and the BoB service never got that far.

As ever, it's a matter of perspective and balance.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sounds very similar to the BA experiences I've had and those of people I know.

This forum tends to concentrate on melodrama rather than the truth.
By 'melodrama' - as opposed to 'truth' are you by chance alluding to the pattern of frequent grievances and disappointments voiced here by many, many BA customers (often very experienced travellers) ...?

Do you believe such negative feedback is in some way fabricated - in contrast to the positive reports, which are presumably nothing less than wholly truthful
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Misco60
I have taken four domestic flights with AA in the past week, and it seems that putting one's feet on the bulkhead is the default position for the majority of passengers in the first row. There was one elderly, grey-haired couple, obviously well-to-do, both with their feet up on the bulkhead for the entire flight. It's horrible.
normally always take the front seats so see this all the time too.

The thing that intrigues me about this behavior is 'why do they do it'. It must be very uncomfortable indeed. The solution if intending to sleep on AA 2 class, is to take row 2,3 or 4 (or less depending on ac type) Plenty room to stretch the legs then.

back to BA - same (ish) applies.

For OP, great that you had a good time - its not as bad as 'they' say !

Inconsistency with BA is an issue(as mentioned above) but hey take AA domestic enough times and see the inconsistency of PDB offerings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.