Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Real Ale in T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Real Ale in T5

Travelling in just over a week where can I get a pint of real ale airside?

Since the Witherspoon’s is closed and looking unlikely to reopen before we fly (what was wrong with this pub? It seemed fine to me..) I am worried where else sells pints of real ale.

By real ale, hand pulled cask ale as oppose to that overpriced ‘craft’ keg crap, or bottled stuff..

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
CAMRA say Huxleys has it: https://whatpub.com/pubs/MDX/16813/h...athrow-airport
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
There's normally something available in Huxleys, it varies from visit to visit, but fairly sure I've had Greenwich Mean Time there in the not too distant past as an example.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:55 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Looks like the weatherspoons is being refurbished

This pub is closed for refurbishment until 05/12/2017. A list of nearby pubs is below.

I know its not great beers, but Huxley does sell

BOMBARDIER Ł2.35 Ł4.60
LONDON PRIDE Ł2.45 Ł4.75
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I noticed in B pier there was a pub offering American pale ales...I know that's not exactly the same but it's our version of Real Ale on this side of the Atlantic.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Looks like the weatherspoons is being refurbished

This pub is closed for refurbishment until 05/12/2017. A list of nearby pubs is below.

I know its not great beers, but Huxley does sell

BOMBARDIER Ł2.35 Ł4.60
LONDON PRIDE Ł2.45 Ł4.75
*sigh* that’s really all I can expect in a world class terminal at our flagship airport...

Poor show
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hungry
Since the Witherspoon’s is closed and looking unlikely to reopen before we fly (what was wrong with this pub? It seemed fine to me..)
It hadn't been refurbished since T5 opened in 2008, so was overdue for a refurbishment in terms of decor and ambiance. The seating area is also being expanded at the same time; previously, it was regularly very overcrowded.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Since the Witherspoon’s is closed and looking unlikely to reopen before we fly (what was wrong with this pub? It seemed fine to me..)
yikes...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As a strict teetotaller I am probably not the best guide, but I have quickly popped into Huxleys and apart from the usual international brands, they have on tap Bombardier. London Pride and something called Camden Pale (or perhaps IPA). I presume the latter best fulfils the OP's criteria, I guess they have other bottled beers. Very crowded at the moment due to Wetherspoon's temporary closure.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:47 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Warning - when I went into Huxleys last month they had neither Pride nor Bombardier on tap... took bottled Pride instead but as you say 'this is what you can expect in the flagship terminal'.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Every time I look at the BAEC home page I see this thread title, and despite several visits to this thread I keep thinking (hope springs eternal) that it actually relates to a nicely cooled Real Ale in a BA Lounge.

Oh well, back to the wine
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As a strict teetotaller I am probably not the best guide, but I have quickly popped into Huxleys and apart from the usual international brands, they have on tap Bombardier. London Pride and something called Camden Pale (or perhaps IPA). I presume the latter best fulfils the OP's criteria, I guess they have other bottled beers. Very crowded at the moment due to Wetherspoon's temporary closure.

Can anyone confirm if these are keg beers? Or cask hand pull real ale?

As far as I know the Camden ones are only larger type keg taps.. so I sadly suspect this is the case for all of their beers
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:37 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Now if they had Barnsley Bitter, Timothy Taylor’s Landlord or Black sheep I might be tempted to put down my LPGS and leave the CCR ��
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can anyone confirm if these are keg beers? Or cask hand pull real ale?

As far as I know the Camden ones are only larger type keg taps.. so I sadly suspect this is the case for all of their beers
From my very brief glimpse yesterday I think your suspicion is correct. I don't think any of the drinks were traditional hand pull, unfortunately. Hopefully the Crown Rivers will correct that omission when it reopens on 5 December 2017, though I can imagine a haavy throughput, fast moving airport pub make this awkward in terms of the underlying supply logistics.

The Camden Pale Ale is definitely an American style IPA, I've now had a chance to Google it, and the colour scheme was as per my memory. 4% ABV.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
*sigh* that’s really all I can expect in a world class terminal at our flagship airport...

Poor show
I would expect such a popular terminal to cater to the tastes and demands of the majority of the travelling public, as there is a finite amount of bar space and giving a spot over to a “real ale” brand that the average traveller’s never heard of and that might be ordered three times a day isn’t good business sense when you can stick in Guinness Extra Cold, or Carlsberg, or Bud Light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.