Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA SI;KLM SI;AE SI
What about mixed tickets/bookings. ie. flyin on a bookingwith a PE and E flights?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
I imagine this might have something to do with the ability to have a return formed of a basic fare in one direction and a plus fare in the other in the future?
Indeed, that's the fear I expressed at the time when hearing such mixing was going to become possible.

In practical terms, it will mean that BA's policy is realistically the 'worst allowance' from now on.
mrow and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, that's the fear I expressed at the time when hearing such mixing was going to become possible.

In practical terms, it will mean that BA's policy is realistically the 'worst allowance' from now on.
worst allowance
worst food
worst J seat
worst UM ( they dont have it anymore)
worst seat selection
worst aircraft
chrisboote likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Maybe BA is trying to drum up business for the suitcase shops in T5, so that you can maximise your F baggage allowance after you get off your domestic connection...?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jendartw
What about mixed tickets/bookings. ie. flyin on a bookingwith a PE and E flights?
The quotation in page 1 is very clear:

The most significant international operating carrier (MSIOC) rule will still apply on a single journey component involving a connection (less than 24 hours).
So if you are flying CDG-LHR-NYC in a mixed Economy (Euro Traveller) and PE (WTP), then:
1, If two separate tickets, separate luggage allowance applies;
2, If on through ticket with transit time less than 24 hours, WTP luggage allowance applies;
3, If on through ticket with a stop over in London (overnight or over 24 hours), two separate luggage rule applies. Which would be Euro Traveller for CDG-LHR and WTP for LHR-NYC...
Calchas and chrisboote like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Can I save us all a little time?

"This isn't cost cutting just because of cost cutting, there's clearly an operational cost associated with it we can't see"
"BA are profitable so clearly know what they are doing"
"This will only affect a small number of people so it doesn't matter"
"If you don't like it - fly someone else"

Have I missed any of the obvious retorts that are going to be made?

Short summary:

It's a rubbish decision. It's clearly just because BA want to extract additional revenue out of people and it's a poor customer choice.
Think you've covered most of the obvious ones !

But another possible retort could be something along the lines of the defence trotted out for infamously poor levels (often amounting to zero) of Avios compensation / goodwill gestures : it was far too generous in the past, and thus understandable that BA should want to cut back ....
nsx and mrow like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
On reflection, I think my fare component supposition above is wrong, and that people will indeed get shafted on a stopover itinerary even if on the same fare component.
I think it is wrong too because there is a precedent.

The precedent is that passengers travelling using a ticket issued under a fare valid for travel in first class and taking a stopover before a shorthaul flight are not permitted access to either the Concorde Room or the Galleries First before their shorthaul flight, unless they have the appropriate status.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Cheapskates.
Well, got to pay for these somehow..

GGL Ritz do tonight (10/10)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I think it is wrong too because there is a precedent.

The precedent is that passengers travelling using a ticket issued under a fare valid for travel in first class and taking a stopover before a shorthaul flight are not permitted access to either the Concorde Room or the Galleries First before their shorthaul flight, unless they have the appropriate status.
Yes that was part of my reflective thinking.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Think you've covered most of the obvious ones !

But another possible retort could be something along the lines of the defence trotted out for infamously poor levels (often amounting to zero) of Avios compensation / goodwill gestures : it was far too generous in the past, and thus understandable that BA should want to cut back ....
Sorry ... Forgot one more:

'Pitcairn Island Air doesn't offer this so you shouls have expected BA to come down to this level'
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As I read it, the connection was never subject to the rule. Thus, EDI-LHR-HKG would get the F/CW/WTP allowance if the second segment is in one of those classes of service. This is about stop overs and returns.

But, bear in mind that BA's internal policies are superceded by US law on tickets to or from the US. On these tickets, the base allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments of the ticket out and back. Note that base allowance does not include waivers for status.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
The interesting bit is that this applies only to BA 2 BA. The inter line rules don’t change. So this really is a kick in the teeth for the U.K. regions in particular.

with their monopoly on U.K. routes they might get away with this however the trick will be to avoid them on the long haul sector and the shorthaul sector will retain the MGA. So GLA LHR JFK should be flown BA AA and the full allowance remains at AA level.

The real answer of course course is to avoid this crappy penny pinching airline entirely and use just about anyone else.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I just did a dummy booking:

GLA-LHR (stopover)
LHR-HKG
HKG-GLA (transit LHR)

Put in the requested class as WTP.

Under the baggage allowance it just shows 2 x 23kg and says nothing about a separate allowance for GLA-LHR in ET.

Not sure if this is just the website not being updated yet?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by liviboy
For those of us that have no choice but to connect using a domestic connection this is a very bad move on BA’s part.
I do get what you're saying but there is almost always an alternative.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by liviboy
For those of us that have no choice but to connect using a domestic connection this is a very bad move on BA’s part.

booking a WTP flight gives 2 23kg bags...but now the domestic economy connection will mean in reality my luggage allowance is only 1 23kg bag!!
Only if there us a stopover in London. If it is simply a transit, then the baggage allowance is that of the international sector, so ET connect to WTP would give baggage allowance of WTP the whole way

If there the time between flights is > 24 hours , then the separate allowances would apply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.