Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: GGL
It seems to me that this is a targeted attack on C-W-S; the addition charges he is going to incur getting all his luggage down to London are designed to offset the surge in EC261 compensation resulting from the advice he dispenses here.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Mixbury
It seems to me that this is a targeted attack on C-W-S; the addition charges he is going to incur getting all his luggage down to London are designed to offset the surge in EC261 compensation resulting from the advice he dispenses here.
But I thought that C-W-S had a Tardis-like bespoke carry-on and specially designed body harnesses which allowed him to pack 8 weeks in his carry-on.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I wondered why my recent booking had the luggage allowance written separately for both legs....
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Often1
As I read it, the connection was never subject to the rule. Thus, EDI-LHR-HKG would get the F/CW/WTP allowance if the second segment is in one of those classes of service. This is about stop overs and returns.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Only if there us a stopover in London. If it is simply a transit, then the baggage allowance is that of the international sector, so ET connect to WTP would give baggage allowance of WTP the whole way
The trade page does give an example, though of the lower allowance applying under this new rule, by virtue of the MSC rule.
Example:
CPH-DXB: if Club Europe is booked on the CPH-LON sector and World Traveller on the LON-DXB sector, the World Traveller baggage allowance would apply.
However, I suspect that this is likely to be a relative unusual scenario, given BA's route network.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
But I thought that C-W-S had a Tardis-like bespoke carry-on and specially designed body harnesses which allowed him to pack 8 weeks in his carry-on.
indeed, I believe cws is part of our bunch of hardcore ‘hand luggage whenever possible’ of which I’m also a club member.

nope, targetting luggage allowance is a personal attack on LTNPhobia, which makes it a far more dangerous move by BA.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The trade page does give an example, though of the lower allowance applying under this new rule, by virtue of the MSC rule.However, I suspect that this is likely to be a relative unusual scenario, given BA's route network.
Th example given above in thread

The most significant international operating carrier (MSIOC) rule will still apply on a single journey component involving a connection (less than 24 hours).

Example:
CPH-DXB: if Club Europe is booked on the CPH-LON sector and World Traveller on the LON-DXB sector, the World Traveller baggage allowance would apply.

logically implies that the international sector would determine the allowance. If CE-> WT leads to WT allowance , then ET => CW would imply that the CW allowance applies
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I have to say that in the past I was a very loyal traveller on another international airline and regularly flew out in Business class and returned home in First. I never thought it a problem that my baggage allowance on the outbound was only 3 bags and on the return it was 4. I always thaought this was perfectly normal, after all, I could have chosen to fly F both ways but I chose not to.

The first time I noticed the difference with BA (getting the high allowance for both legs) I was actually quite surprised.

I don't really think most connecting passengers will notice a difference either, as most will connect directly to/from regional flights and will not stop over for more than 24 hours.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
This does not affect me because of status. But if I didn't have status it would prevent me from flying BA on many occasions. I frequently fly routes like GLA-LHR-HKG in WT+ (3days in Hong Kong) -TPE (few days) then back. On many occasions, the option on the Middle leg HKG to TPE (only an example) would be business or economy. As I read it. To maintain the WT+ baggage I would need the link in business which would make me have to fly ME3. I can justify the extra price on BA because of the baggage allowance.

Also so a load of skiers (and there are tons on snowheads.com) who use this facility simply because if they buy easyJet and add in all the extras it comes to the same price as BA. So they book ET and mix CE to get the extra bag for free and a wee treat of lounge access. There is a big debate on there just now with many people now not going to buy a BA ticket and simply get EasyJet or KLM.

So because of this BA will definitely lose business. I don't see anyone saying...... oh okay I'll just pay the extra £100 for the extra aweigh and sports equipment etc etc.
They will now simply go EasyJet or KLM from regional and Swiss from London.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:14 am

Also I don't think this is really a problem to people flying J and F. It is a big problem for people flying ET and CE.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
I just did a dummy booking:

GLA-LHR (stopover)
LHR-HKG
HKG-GLA (transit LHR)

Put in the requested class as WTP.

Under the baggage allowance it just shows 2 x 23kg and says nothing about a separate allowance for GLA-LHR in ET.

Not sure if this is just the website not being updated yet?
It should not show a separate allowance for the ET sector, even if there is a stopover. I often do stopovers both in London and in NYC on a WTP through fare to West Coast from KBP, and the allowance is uniform for all sectors. I believe they made an error in the announcement.

Originally Posted by mikebg

The first time I noticed the difference with BA (getting the high allowance for both legs) I was actually quite surprised.
BA used to be one of a handful airlines that offered the most generous allowance for the entire ticket. But of course people will say how they will now fly all these other wonderful airlines that never offered the benefit in the first place.

As long as passengers are informed about their allowance I don't see what the big deal is? There is an option to pay and take a greater number of bags with you.

Last edited by Andriyko; Oct 18, 2017 at 6:14 am
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Also I don't think this is really a problem to people flying J and F. It is a big problem for people flying ET and CE.
It’s a big problem for those who fly WTP and who want to spend a few days in London as part of their trip when connecting from UK/Europe.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by sxc
It’s a big problem for those who fly WTP and who want to spend a few days in London as part of their trip when connecting from UK/Europe.
Absolutely. If it were me I would consider another airline. This is a big mistake by BA. As a Gold member who flys WT+ mixed with ET it makes me wonder what next. E.G. Gold status only on premium cabins. I'm just making that one up but I do wonder what next and announcements like this make me think about looking at alternatives.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not a problem for the majority of travellers. We never use our full allowance especially on the outbounds. Maybe they identified a loophole that was being used by a small minority?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not a problem for the majority of travellers. We never use our full allowance especially on the outbounds. Maybe they identified a loophole that was being used by a small minority?
Several issues with this statement but let us highlight the two main ones:
1) if it is only a "small minority", this presumably has negligible impact on BA so why bother with it at all?
2) The concept of a "loophole" strikes me as highly problematic: using the benefits that have been deliberately and consciously designed as part of a product can hardly be described as exploiting a loophole. Making use of the baggage allowance that comes with a fare is no more a loophole than making use of a lounge with a business class ticket is. The concept of a loophole is premised on an unintended consequence. I am therefore puzzled as to where the supposed "loophole" in this case would be.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Absolutely. If it were me I would consider another airline. This is a big mistake by BA. As a Gold member who flys WT+ mixed with ET it makes me wonder what next. E.G. Gold status only on premium cabins. I'm just making that one up but I do wonder what next and announcements like this make me think about looking at alternatives.
The allowance should be uniform on a through fare, even with a stopover. I'd wait for a clarification from BA before jumping to any conclusions.

Regarding the alternatives - BA stopped what many airlines never offered, so I am not sure which alternatives you're looking at.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not a problem for the majority of travellers.
I would not call it a problem at all. A passenger can pay and take as many bags as they like. When BA decreased the allowance for CW it affected all business class passengers, however, it did not change the fact that whoever wanted to take more than 2 pieces were not affected in the slightest - there is a very straightforward way to take more bags.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.