Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh my god, it was actually great BA!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by V10
Depends on the aircraft. "Old" WTP on for example an unrefurbished 747 or 777 is poor and not worth the money.
Totally agree - a couple of years ago flew out to BOM on an un-refurbished 772 and it was actively unpleasant (not helped by being bumped into a row of 4). The screens were unwatchable and the seats uncomfortable. On the return we were on the 773 and it was very pleasant in comparison. Note we only took the day flights - IMHO this is not a class I enjoy on overnight flights. The following year we were lumbered with 2 really tatty 744s so the next time we spent a little more and slummed it on EK in J albeit with the inconvenience of having to transit through DXB (not really a hardship).

As per the OP's comments, this is a good proposition on new and updated frames. On older kit - avoid.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The new WT+ on day flights is very pleasant, particularly on one of the higher pressurized planes. I usually get a bulkhead seat and usually also a free seat next to me, and so I really don't need to fly in a higher class.

The older WT+ is definitely less comfortable, and overnight I much prefer a flatbed to get a chance to sleep. As others have pointed out though, WT+ seems like a rare area where BA is able to effectively compete on a price/ value basis. Having said that, I'm looking forward to trying out the new AA PE product for transatlantic flights...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Wifey and I did WT+ in the A380 (LHR-JNB). Upper deck, window and aisle, and they were fine. Nice big storage compartment next to the window, decent enough food and wine.
Both managed a bit of sleep (with sleeping pills).
I'd certainly rather pay for WT+ over J on a day flight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
New WTP is great, old less so. I've found that P/E can work really well for an outbound day flight, but is hideous for night flights where flat beds are essential.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Have only ever experienced Syd-sin in PE and it was at best average.

What is more noteworthy is Hiddy is planning a flight.Surely worth its own thread? 😜
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
.................. As others have pointed out though, WT+ seems like a rare area where BA is able to effectively compete on a price/ value basis. ..................
Quite interesting this. In that a couple of posts indicate this is an area where they feel BA compete well, but in previous threads it's been said many times that this is the most profitable cabin proportionally on BA. I assume that means per sq mtr of space taken or something along those lines.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by dougzz
In that a couple of posts indicate this is an area where they feel BA compete well, but in previous threads it's been said many times that this is the most profitable cabin proportionally on BA. I assume that means per sq mtr of space taken or something along those lines.
Yes, that the measure which BA has referred to: profitability per square metre. At the same time, ISTR that it was said that CW was the most profitable cabin per se, which can't be much of a surprise.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:12 am

Please forward to Alex Cruz. He deserves all the plaudits for his hard work and effective leadership. Very satisfying to hear positive BA comments from others in the thread as well. Keep them coming!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Nuster

What is more noteworthy is Hiddy is planning a flight.Surely worth its own thread? 😜
A major event indeed

Seems that Iberia has won the highly valuable tender, so anyone looking for regular updates should presumably keep a sharp eye on the IB sub-forum.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by SvenAge
Please forward to Alex Cruz. He deserves all the plaudits for his hard work and effective leadership. Very satisfying to hear positive BA comments from others in the thread as well. Keep them coming!
Good attempt at some humour there

Not entirely sure what this has got to do with Alex Cruz. WTP was invented and implemented years before AC came on board (ie when BA was still an innovator and market leader). So far AC's main contribution to WTP has been to strip out the galley snack boxes and reduce the second meal to a Kit Kat bar.

The fact that there are still plenty of aircraft out there with ugly uncomfortable past-their-sell-by seats and unwatchable IFE says a lot about BA's attitude to innovation and investment today.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:09 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 6:10 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I flew BA PE/WTP recently:
* DFW-LHR, B747-400, night flight
* LHR-DEL, B787-900, day flight
* DEL-LHR, B787-900, night flight
* LHR-AUS, B878-900, day flight

As others have indicated, it was a good product for the day flights. On the LHR-DEL flight I'd guess WTP was maybe half full (if that), and I moved into a middle row by myself.
For LHR-AUS, the flight was packed full, but even at that the WTP cabin wasn't too horrible. With a window seat, I was still able to scoot past the guy next to me, when I asked the person in front to raise her seat. It was just so nice flying straight into AUS.

The DFW-LHR flight was packed. The seats seemed ok, but I didn't really sleep too much. Some of that could have been due to excitement of beginning a trip. There was space between my window seat and the window, so I couldn't really lean right next to it to rest. But it did give a little space on the side to stow some things.

The DEL-LHR flight wasn't too full. I was exhausted, having woken at an ungodly hour to be at the Taj Mahal for opening, after a crazy day finally getting on the aircraft at about 01:30. I pretty much passed out. I remember waking up, looking at the map, saw we were crossing the Caspian Sea, then fell back asleep.
When my trip ends with a night flight, I try to tire myself out the day before, as I did this time.

More importantly, BA PE gives great EQM and EQD for crediting to AA
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SvenAge
People will criticise Alex all the time, but they rarely give him credit. If he can receive criticism then he also surely must deserve some praise when things go right. He identified there was no need for the second meal and that meant BA could pass those savings into another area. The customer is reporting positive feedback as a result of his efforts.
Alex is a cost-cutter pure and simple. The savings are intended to boost director bonuses and shareholder value. Cutting costs (and reducing investment and innovation) can lead to all sorts of unintended consequences which leave egg on your face and lead to a beating in the press. Alex has been lucky that the collapse of Air Berlin and Monarch and O'Leary reverting to type have diverted attention from BA at the moment.

Yes I do understand and appreciate that there is a 'potential' investment going on in Club World. I say 'potential' as there are some that are sceptical that the improved catering will ever be fully rolled out across the network - will it include MF routes or LGW? How long will it take to get off the ground and will this happen before Alex starts to trim away at the edges?

And could it be that this investment has been a panic reaction to the realisation that once Polaris gets going on UA, BA could easily have had the least competitive J class on their cherished TATL? Obviously there isn't going to be any improvement in the hard product any time soon - and even when it does arrive are they going to retrofit the existing fleets?? So they had to/have to do something a bit pronto. And my own experience in F last week and earlier today also indicates that they need to pull their finger out big time in the catering department there too at some point.

Getting back on topic, I am struggling to think how Alex has improved the passenger experience in WTP. It is a solid product on the whole but I would not link the generally positive comments, which are well deserved, to anything that Alex has contributed to the mix.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Agree, quite enjoyed 3/4 of my recent WT+ flights, the one dissent being in an old seat 744. Otherwise the new 777 seat is very comfortable for both overnight and day flights, the crew was attentive and food not bad (well the boxes were almost impossible to open)...and it certainly was helped by all four FAs offered up two minis of The Glenlivet without my having to ask for a double! I'm not a fan of CW though have a couple of those coming up next month on a 787 so will see how those compare. (Was going to opt for WT+ again but the marginal fare difference ex-CAI...and no WT+ between CAI and LHR...and extra Tier Points led me to the next cabin up.) Of course having lounge access through my OW status also helped make the experience more positive. Also had an empty seat next to me on half the flights for extra space.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Looking forward to trying out Norwegian Premium to the US on a day flight
I tried BA WTP in the early days and was very underwhelmed
Have done it to HKG on the A380 overnight and was surprisingly comfortable
The norwegian offering allows you to be at the front of the plane in a 787 with bigger seats than WTP for half the price..... I shall rest my judgment
roy2016 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.