Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why can't BA use items made in the UK in First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't BA use items made in the UK in First?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:23 am

I see no problem with BA highlighting great British produce and amenities in first. It’s a win win proposition if done well.

I flew Swiss first and they had a fantastic Swiss gin (I know, who would have thought) in First. It was so good that I have actually ordered some myself.

However, finding the right products, of the right quality, takes time and money, rather than just sourcing the cheapest stuff, or what Diageo will give you for free.
kaka and lost_in_translation like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hmm... no, that isn't their claim. I just checked on their website and they make a case of their 'Britishness' over and again on every single page.
Exactly.

To those who think British cuisine these days consists of only toad in the hole and spotted dick, you need to eat somewhere different.

Fair point about a brand giving assurances generally, but flying F should be enough of an assurance of quality for an airline to be able to chose lesser known brands of high(est) quality, I think.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by :D!
In this vein, why bother branding the airline as British at all, why not just make it a Generic International Airline, the only thing that matters is that it's "good" right?
Isn't that pretty much what the BA holding company is already called?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I like the way Air New Zealand highlights their local products, such as wines. BA could do something similar in F to make it as "British" as possible.
Wine is about one of the only products that they don't substitute out for local products on flights from remote ports.

Does the UK really have that wine that would be up to the requried level for F?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:03 am

Are all those Boeing aeroplanes made in Britain?

Bring back the Comet, it was a beautiful plane.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Are all those Boeing aeroplanes made in Britain?

....But didn't a couple of them crash ?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I flew Swiss first and they had a fantastic Swiss gin (I know, who would have thought) in First. It was so good that I have actually ordered some myself.
Maybe from nginious? I tried it at a big gin convention and rather unexpectedly it was one of the stand-outs.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by lcyguy
No, but they do have Are You Being Served. Lovely to be reacquainted with Mrs Slocombe and her pussy after such a long time.
Captain Peacock: Mr. Humphries, are you free?
Mr Humphries: I'm busy pricing my ties, Captain Peacock.
Captain Peacock: The gentleman wishes to try on a dress.
Mr Humphries: I'm free!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
....But didn't a couple of them crash ?
yup, but only due to serious design flaws in the aeroplane
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I see no problem with BA highlighting great British produce and amenities in first. It’s a win win proposition if done well.

However, finding the right products, of the right quality, takes time and money, rather than just sourcing the cheapest stuff, or what Diageo will give you for free.
​​​​​​​Also can produce enough and keep the quality at the required quantities.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Originally Posted by LCY8737
So does that mean the "beauty of design/appearance" overrides safety ?
Sounds like damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.....and all that.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Greenpen

*Cough* 787 nose *cough*
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer

While it wasn't onboard the plane and most likely didn't cost BA anything, I thought the showcase of British gins this summer in the BA First lounges was really great. We learned a lot about British gin, and actually ended up buying a few even though I hadn't had a G and T in years. Wish I could get that Fentiman's grapefruit tonic water in the US...

And i do appreciate it when BA try to showcase British products on board. The First amenity kit used to be really a treat. I still have all my Anya Hindmarch kits and will be really sad when they all wear out! I still do think that BA try to highlight some British products, although the quality of said products is more oriented toward the lower end these days. And I do appreciate the British programming on the IFE...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
While it wasn't onboard the plane and most likely didn't cost BA anything, I thought the showcase of British gins this summer in the BA First lounges was really great. We learned a lot about British gin, and actually ended up buying a few even though I hadn't had a G and T in years. Wish I could get that Fentiman's grapefruit tonic water in the US...

And i do appreciate it when BA try to showcase British products on board. The First amenity kit used to be really a treat. I still have all my Anya Hindmarch kits and will be really sad when they all wear out! I still do think that BA try to highlight some British products, although the quality of said products is more oriented toward the lower end these days. And I do appreciate the British programming on the IFE...
I think those are both good points. Another 'easy' win, which would show BA is not just London Airways would be for BA to feature a small flight of different leading Single Malt Whiskies which could even change periodically. I'd love one of the Islay whiskies to be offered rather than or in addition to the rather bland choices currently on offer.

And I do think most British films and tv programmes (or even filmed RSC plays or ROH operas) including some classics would be nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.