ExpertFlyer vs BA seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:48 am
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
ExpertFlyer vs BA seat selection

Hi,

I am trying to reserve two seats in Club World for a flight from JFK to LHR on the 29th of November (BA0178). Of course I wanted to go upper deck and I checked the availability on ExpertFlyer which shows plenty of it. However when I check with BA everything seems to be unavailable. Is this normal? Will the seats become available at a later time?

Thank you,

Bil
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze
What is available on EF may differ from what BA offer you depending on status.
I noticed that there were considerably more seats available to me when I hit silver.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Available seats on Upper deck for blue members I think is about 2-4 seats , Bronze was 4-6 seats and Silver is usually all of them.... in my experience.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:59 am
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Woody12354
Available seats on Upper deck for blue members I think is about 2-4 seats , Bronze was 4-6 seats and Silver is usually all of them.... in my experience.
That is definitely the reason then ― I am Bronze. Does calling BA change anything? Will they become available at a later time? For example if no Silver or Gold reserves them
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:02 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by bil
That is definitely the reason then ― I am Bronze. Does calling BA change anything? Will they become available at a later time? For example if no Silver or Gold reserves them
Some open 48 hours before..most 24 hours before.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:23 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
What is available on EF may differ from what BA offer you depending on status.
I noticed that there were considerably more seats available to me when I hit silver.
If you have elite BAEC status, please enter that information in the Preferences tab of the My Account page so it is passed to BA when doing a seat map search.
Keystone likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I am seeing this on an upcoming flight in CE.
Any reason why the whole of the first row would be blocked?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I am seeing this on an upcoming flight in CE.
Any reason why the whole of the first row would be blocked?
Blocked for Golds (OWE).
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Blocked for Golds (OWE).
Of course! Thanks. Hence the need to enter BAEC number, which I thought I had done (but hadn’t!). 🙄
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Just a quick question - how up to date is the EF map? On my flight back from HKG in a couple of weeks, the EF map is no longer showing me in the seat I have selected and have confirmed on ba.com. Instead, it's showing it as available. MyFlights still has it confirmed (though I only have the basic version).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Have you entered the date into EF using the USA standard, month first? If it's not that, perhaps you could put the details here for someone to check.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Just a quick question - how up to date is the EF map? On my flight back from HKG in a couple of weeks, the EF map is no longer showing me in the seat I have selected and have confirmed on ba.com. Instead, it's showing it as available. MyFlights still has it confirmed (though I only have the basic version).
The EF seat map is usually about as accurate as it is possible to be, because (AIUI) it draws on live GDS data at the exact time that you make the request for the map.

Have you tried making a new dummy booking on ba.com to see what is shown as available?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The EF seat map is usually about as accurate as it is possible to be, because (AIUI) it draws on live GDS data at the exact time that you make the request for the map.

Have you tried making a new dummy booking on ba.com to see what is shown as available?
Just tried a dummy booking and the seat is available for selection. Given that I'm now Bronze, I would have to pay for it, but the price is now less than the amount I coughed up a couple of weeks ago. My PNR still has it selected.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Just tried a dummy booking and the seat is available for selection. Given that I'm now Bronze, I would have to pay for it, but the price is now less than the amount I coughed up a couple of weeks ago. My PNR still has it selected.
Can you see whether https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS shows the pre-allocation as still confirmed?

However, if the ba.com seat map matches the EF seat map, and both say that the seat is available, then that is what I think the true position is. It seems more likely that the PNR is now incorrect.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Can you see whether https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS shows the pre-allocation as still confirmed?

However, if the ba.com seat map matches the EF seat map, and both say that the seat is available, then that is what I think the true position is. It seems more likely that the PNR is now incorrect.
Thanks for your help. For some reason checkmytrip has not got any of the seats attached to it. However, I went back into the PNR on BA and re-confirmed the seat which seems to have done the job. For my outbound I want to select 61J, which should be available - at least for purchase. I called BA yesterday and they said showed up as blocked and not selectable for me on their system too. their advice was to wait until T-7 (which I'm assuming is linked to the departure time?) and give them another call if it still wasn't showing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.