FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Op"Up": 62K to 5E on a 747 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1871702-op-up-62k-5e-747-a.html)

alexwuk Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Op"Up": 62K to 5E on a 747

Two weeks ago BA changed my seat from 62K to 5E on the 747.

Yes, you get better booze and grub, but the physical seat is IMHO worse: the middle pairs in F on the 747 have essentially no surfaces you can use - compared to the roomyness of the Upper Deck window and the side lockers.

In the event, I was running late to LHR and had to run through security to get to my gate so I didn't have time to ask for my old seat back.

Question is: if this had been you and you had enough time to ask for your old seat back - would you have, or taken the seat in First? Route was LHR-IAD if that makes a difference.

DoctorCopper Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Alexwuk: nice to get the opup. Given the amount of notice, did you attempt to move seats in F? On the rare occasion I have been given an opup to F and have been allocated a non-window seat I have requested a seat change. Most times this has been possible.

Doc Copper

UKtravelbear Oct 12, 2017 2:16 pm

The vast majority of people would have been thanking BA for an op-up to F!

And it would have been more than likely that your old seat had already been reallocated (and someone physically sat in it) and no guarenee they would give it back to you.

alexwuk Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper (Post 28925367)
Alexwuk: nice to get the opup. Given the amount of notice, did you attempt to move seats in F? On the rare occasion I have been given an opup to F and have been allocated a non-window seat I have requested a seat change. Most times this has been possible.

Doc Copper

The flight went out full in every cabin so seat swapping wasn't really feasible.

peterrabbit Oct 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by alexwuk (Post 28925346)

Question is: if this had been you and you had enough time to ask for your old seat back - would you have, or taken the seat in First? Route was LHR-IAD if that makes a difference.

Yes. indeed I have turned down an op-up at the gate for a similar switch from an UD window to 5E on a jumbo.

surryson Oct 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Complaint?! This has got to be a wind up.

iadisgreat Oct 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by peterrabbit (Post 28925417)
Yes. indeed I have turned down an op-up at the gate for a similar switch from an UD window to 5E on a jumbo.

*Shrugs*

Jagboi Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Personally I'd prefer a window in CW to an inside seat in F.

rossmacd Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by surryson (Post 28925420)
Complaint?! This has got to be a wind up.

Absolutely not. A UD CW seat (the right seat) can be better than a poor seat in 747 F - if the only mission is sleep.

rockflyertalk Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I understand the situation here, thanks to the incredible knowledge here on FT but any Tom, Dick or Harry would be very grateful for the fact you were or have been upgraded to First class for nothing, I can see how this might be such a tradegy!

Sadly I’ve never flown First class. Embrace the change and enjoy what you’ve been offered for free is my advice. You have access to CCR and F wing as well as being offered to board and exit before CW & the UD.

So congratulations and enjoy the trip.

orbitmic Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm

I would have gratefully accepted without the least hesitation.

I'm not even sure I really understand the hesitation here. 62K is a great J seat because you have the plentiful empty space in front which means you can get out of your seat easily, but the seat itself is just the same as any other and considerably smaller than F seats even on the 744. Service and quietness are better in the F cabin too as is the soft product.

seaskybound Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

You could have gone to your orignal seat and (politely) ask if want to swap to first. Other (acceptable to you) seats can be asked too.

TravellerFrequently Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi was upgraded from 64K to 4F on a flight to GRU a few years ago. Agree it was not the best F seat but I did enjoy the better catering and slept well.

I was thankful for the upgrade.

alexwuk Oct 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 28925553)
I would have gratefully accepted without the least hesitation.

I'm not even sure I really understand the hesitation here. 62K is a great J seat because you have the plentiful empty space in front which means you can get out of your seat easily, but the seat itself is just the same as any other and considerably smaller than F seats even on the 744. Service and quietness are better in the F cabin too as is the soft product.

I actually found the light from the ba logo thing on the rear cabin wall a bit bothersome.

As background: I have a CCR Card and fly BA F quite a lot so there's no novelty factor. I think it's a genuine question which is better, hence me asking

corporate-wage-slave Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm

With Old First I would and did decline this upgrade in the past, though once I got a pushback on my effort to do this, from a gate agent with whom one would not wish to argue. On JFK services I would be tempted too to ask for the old seat back too. Otherwise I suspect this thread could only belong in the BA forum.