Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:24 am   #1
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego,CA
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 856
Tier Point Runs V Health

I know we have all done it, the classic tier point run to reach the status we need. This is a really random post, so please feel free to delete it.
But I was just wondering what the most crazy tier point runs people have done on this forum have been,

I know it was discussed a little here
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...n-weekend.html

And I remember people doing the fare to Hawaii back to back on weekends, for leaving on Saturday, arriving into Hawaii Saturday night, and then catching the 10.30PM back to LAX then arrive into LAX on Sunday, then to JFK and back in the UK on Monday Morning.

I guess my real point, do we put ourselves at health risks doing this ? or are we no worse off than say a pilot ?
When I Travel The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:32 am   #2
  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Silver, SPG Plat100, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,055
You don't risk dying from radiation if that's what you mean, but 2-3 days of eating crap food and drinking cheap champagne isn't any good for you. The recycled air isn't ideal either, especially if you're flying old 777-200s or their contemporaries with dry air which I know is more likely to give me some kind of cold at the end of a lot of flying.

Also don't underestimate the confusion the body will go through being denied the usual morning and nighttime cues.
Markie likes this.
EuropeanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:38 am   #3
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego,CA
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 856
Quote:
You don't risk dying from radiation if that's what you mean, but 2-3 days of eating crap food and drinking cheap champagne isn't any good for you. The recycled air isn't ideal either, especially if you're flying old 777-200s or their contemporaries with dry air which I know is more likely to give me some kind of cold at the end of a lot of flying.

Also don't underestimate the confusion the body will go through being denied the usual morning and nighttime cues.
Yes I guess that's part of what I mean, the radiation is one tiny part.
But I guess the amount of time being up in the air and the stress it puts on the body what with the cabin altitude, drinking and just sitting for hours on end.
When I Travel The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:02 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, MUCCIx4, and 'stuff'..
Posts: 24,813
Everything one does carries some risk!!

I have no idea about back-to-back TP runs, but certainly our recent OGG>JER return was very wearysome. About 48 hours from getting out of bed, and 36 hours (5 sectors + LHR-LGW, including 2 night sectors) was a bit of a bu$$er. Still survivable, even at 72-yo
20Rothmans likes this.
T8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:40 am   #5
  
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: London, England and Athens, Greece
Programs: NZ Airpoints, BAEC Blue, Sixt Gold, Lloyds Bank Avios Duo, AF Blue
Posts: 1,912
Yes the key here is staying hydrated and eating as well as you reasonably can. Oh and hygene! Baby wipes and hand sanetizer if washing hands isnt easy at the time, planes and airports are really dirty places due to the sheer amount of people using them!

I find if i look after myself well I can do an LAX-LHR night flight in Y without feeling any ill effects whatsoever except naturally being a little tired. Key is to sleep on the plane at appropriate hours of course, so while being hydrated is important i find some red wine and a meal helps me sleep!
ahmetdouas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:53 am   #6
  
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, Gold with BA & *A, EK & EY Silver and other random stuff, but no Moroccan Gold
Posts: 4,556
Not a TP runner, but as I am sitting on my seventh flight since Saturday, I would say my biggest hazard is eating in T5 GF a few times a week! Other posters probably face more serious calorific hazards in CCR.

Not alcoholic hazards though as I am always driving at each end.
Flame3601 likes this.
antichef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:59 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 30,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World View Post
I know we have all done it, the classic tier point run to reach the status we need.
Have we?

The closest that we've ever come to a TP run is a day trip to GVA, CE one way and ET the other, in order to trigger BA Silver for my companion (who got stitched up by QF half way through a membership year). I went along only for the day out.
Globaliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:09 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: 00.05% towards Lifetime Gold.
Posts: 35,818
I couldn't fly just for tier points no matter how cheap they were.

Despite my loathing for long haul flying when I do I try and maintain a positive attitude. I suspect that's why I rarely find fault with any airline I fly with. As for sleep, food, drink and hygiene ...I don't give it a thought. Having spent over 50 years hiking and biking in the great outdoors I reckon my body can survive half a day spent on an aircraft.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:10 am   #9
  
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Posts: 215
Never a TP runner myself.

A friend got stretchered off a BA flight with a nasty hit of deep vein thrombosis... and ended up Stateside for a couple of weeks recovering. Just a regular TATL to the west coast, no running involved. Iíd say thatís the highest risk we run flying long haul.

His employer now flies staff in J TATL following his near-death experience. Every cloud...
20Rothmans likes this.
memesweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:13 am   #10
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego,CA
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 856
Quote:
our recent OGG>JER return was very wearysome. About 48 hours from getting out of bed, and 36 hours (5 sectors + LHR-LGW, including 2 night sectors) was a bit of a bu$$er. Still survivable, even at 72-yo
Wow that's impressive. A big thumbs up to you. Not sure I could handle it at that age.

Quote:
Have we?

The closest that we've ever come to a TP run is a day trip to GVA, CE one way and ET the other, in order to trigger BA Silver for my companion (who got stitched up by QF half way through a membership year). I went along only for the day out.
Ok, not all of us

Quote:
A friend got stretchered off a BA flight with a nasty hit of deep vein thrombosis... and ended up Stateside for a couple of weeks recovering. Just a regular TATL to the west coast, no running involved. I’d say that’s the highest risk we run flying long haul.

His employer now flies staff in J TATL following his near-death experience. Every cloud...
I guess that's a bit of the nightmare.
When I Travel The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:25 am   #11
Hilton Contributor Badge
  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC Gold (baby extension) Starbucks Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,122
I was quite ill when I got home after my one and only TP run. However, I think this was more a result of lack of sleep rather than being on planes, although a lot of food and drink may also have contributed.

The itinerary was as follows.
Day 1. MAN/DUB on FR then DUB/LHR. Overnight at hotel near LHR but early morning next day.
Day 2. LHR/JFK/LAX/LAS (arrived LAS around midnight local time) No accommodation booked as meeting some FTers in the casino.
Day 3. Day in Vegas. Early hotel check in booked.
Day 4. Day in Vegas followed by red eye LAX/MIA.
Day 5. MIA/JFK/LCY
Day 6. LHR/MAN/LHR/DUB (stayed overnight at the airport)
Day 7. DUB/MAN with FR. Early morning flight.

So over the seven days I only had one day/night with a proper bed. I certainly would not do this again as think lack of sleep was the biggest issue (or flying FR!)

Besides many FTers regularly fly more than this week after week with no side effects.
madfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:30 am   #12
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego,CA
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 856
Quote:
The itinerary was as follows.
Day 1. MAN/DUB on FR then DUB/LHR. Overnight at hotel near LHR but early morning next day.
Day 2. LHR/JFK/LAX/LAS (arrived LAS around midnight local time) No accommodation booked as meeting some FTers in the casino.
Day 3. Day in Vegas. Early hotel check in booked.
Day 4. Day in Vegas followed by red eye LAX/MIA.
Day 5. MIA/JFK/LCY
Day 6. LHR/MAN/LHR/DUB (stayed overnight at the airport)
Day 7. DUB/MAN with FR. Early morning flight.
Thanks for Sharing. I can't tell if my upcoming one is better or worse than yours.
madfish likes this.
When I Travel The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:33 am   #13
  
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 389
madfish - it was unquestionably the FR sectors wot done you in
cistavoda and madfish like this.
Johnnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:44 am   #14
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Mergers and dispersal
Posts: 18,684
I do not do any TP runs so I can't agree that 'we all do it"

Anyway, some of my normal flying patterns look worse than a serious case of TP run anyway and in some months I fly substantially more than it would have been legal had I been a crew member but do I worry about the health effects of flying? Not really.

In terms of health effects, the biggest annoyance is over-eating (I eat out of sheer boredom while I wait at the airport and on board even if I am working and I'd even wake up to eat) and dry skin.

Dry skin is actually far more annoying than over-eating (over-eating basically has no effect on me as such except for the guilty conscience). Only Kiehl's Creme de Corps keeps it in a decent condition but it has the seriously annoying thing of staining white garments slightly yellow unless I wait quite some time before putting clothing on. If anyone discovers body creams that are just as effective as Kiehl's but does not stain anything in any way, I'd love to hear about it! (And for relevance to the BAEC forum, I'd suggest to Torvest that they put it on the HighLife Shop and also encourage BA to add it to the F washbag...)
LTN Phobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:54 am   #15
  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Silver, SPG Plat100, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
I find if i look after myself well I can do an LAX-LHR night flight in Y without feeling any ill effects whatsoever except naturally being a little tired. Key is to sleep on the plane at appropriate hours of course, so while being hydrated is important i find some red wine and a meal helps me sleep!
The luxury of flying on an A380!
ahmetdouas likes this.
EuropeanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top