Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Point Runs V Health

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:53 pm

I don't do TP runs but i do end up on some bookings that resemble them, usually Asia to Europe with a connection or two either side and then back again within a couple of days.

I'm prone to get mouth ulcers as a marker of when I'm run down and without fail I'll come out with them a few days after a long flight.

@angeloedades I also always used to get nosebleeds especially on the BA 747s. Over time I seem to have adapted and now I fly long haul mostly on the A350.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Many years ago I did OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-LAS-MIA-SJU-MIA-LAS-LAX-HNL-LAX-LAS-MIA-SJU-MIA-LAS-LAX-HNL-LAX-LAS-MIA-SJU-MIA-LAS-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-OSL in 10 days or so, including three immediate turnarounds in HNL. Was an interesting experience, honestly not too bad except for a slightly sore back towards the end after too many hours in terrible AA 757 seats. I had two nice rest days, one in HNL and one in SJU, which definitely helped a lot.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
I know we have all done it, the classic tier point run to reach the status we need.
Another ‘certainly not!’ from me. Related to your question, however, this is perhaps all the more so that I have already had chances to see the toll the amount of travelling I actually do need to do could take on my health finding myself temporarily deaf for several days and in hospital. And anyone who thinks ‘pfff... how silly, I’d see the warning signs, I know my body’ is, if I may be excused for saying so, very naive.

I love travelling but only do it when I either have to for work or want to go to a given place for personal reasons. I’m not judging, everyone else is grown up enough to make their own decisions but I’ll admit the concept of a tp run is still one that baffles me.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
I've never done a TP run in my life. Everyone seems to be focussing on lack of sleep, dehydration etc. Another health factor to be taken into account when flying is DVT. This should not be underestimated.

Doc Copper
Been there, done that, got the blood thinners for life to prove it .

My wife tries to say that the flying caused it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't

If you do find yourself unusually short of breath after a flight, do get yourself to the nearest hospital - my clots had gone to my lungs, and as my GP/family doctor said "well, that was nearly a game over experience"!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've done a few.

For the most part, they're not too bad.

I've crashed a couple of times when I've finally reached a hotel after a couple of days of flying (well, after touching the bed more than intentionally trying to sleep) although 2-3hrs sleep tops.

Short overnight stops don't help i.e. getting to a hotel at 11pm and then being up at 4am for the next flight.
But as long as I'm fairly occupied, I'm generally fine - it's the sitting at the gate for ages that makes me doze more than anything.

Have had a few 5-6hr stopovers (less travel time, check-in etc.) that I wouldn't pay Ł150 for a hotel for so just stayed at the airport. Not as bad as you may think although awkward if you have a load of luggage.
(Got an overnight at MCO coming up. Flight gets in before midnight and next flight at 6:30am. Going to sit it out in the food court area rather than get a hotel for 3hrs or so).

Food wise, that's the worst thing. Lots of crap to be honest.
Ate loads of those Home Fries on AA last year (stick crisps) and collected a few packets of cake bars etc. that were offered in their snack baskets.
Pretty much snacking as a lot of the AA flights don't serve any real meals and the Admiral's Clubs don't offer much.
Wendy's or Panda Express? at MCO if I had a couple of hours.

At least the LAX Qantas lounge kept me well fed with better food and drink when I passed through there and provided a nice shower opportunity.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: Meh
I have never done a run in my life and never will. As I get older I want to spend less time on planes, not more.
Did QR to Asia and back recently and will not do again. CX or JL in future direct, or even BA if it the best option, time wise.
Good luck to those who get their top status this way, but cannot really fathom it myself.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by stevie
I have never done a run in my life and never will. As I get older I want to spend less time on planes, not more.
Did QR to Asia and back recently and will not do again. CX or JL in future direct, or even BA if it the best option, time wise.
Good luck to those who get their top status this way, but cannot really fathom it myself.
I like being on planes and paying as little as possible to do so, so these TP runs, whilst helping my status and earning Avios, do get me around a bit.

If can fly LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-PTY for example for Ł300 in first, I'll do that rather than pay something like 3x the price to fly LAX-MIA in business.
Had a few transportation vouchers as well due to delayed flights and/or volunteering to catch another flight and these practically pay for something like this.

Sometimes you get those special planes such as the 777 and A321T on the longer sectors for a fraction of the price and as it's only a few days of my year I'm putting aside for this, it's no big deal. I get home, get back to my own bed and can eat properly once again.
Occasionally I do make a holiday out of these things.

As for keeping hydrated, I tend not to do that - don't want too many toilet trips if I'm in a window seat so don't drink much on planes.

I do find a nice hot shower and a change of clothes helps a lot so will try and factor in enough time at LAX, SFO, MIA, JFK etc. for this.
(Had a few PHX-PHL flights and no showers in the AC at PHL so had to wait until MIA or perhaps CLT or RDU?)
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Been there, done that, got the blood thinners for life to prove it .

My wife tries to say that the flying caused it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't

If you do find yourself unusually short of breath after a flight, do get yourself to the nearest hospital - my clots had gone to my lungs, and as my GP/family doctor said "well, that was nearly a game over experience"!
Ouch! Travel policy for my firm is TATL Y and I make 8-10 TATL a year and so DVT is a real concern for me too. Luckily at least when I go to Asia I can take J.

I don't need to TP run to maintain gold although I might have stretched myself to GGL but as I am also an Aegean *G I prefer to spread my loyalty to cover both bases.

My brother did one of the DUB-HNL-PTY TP runs a couple of years ago. In just under a week he traveled MAN-DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-PTY-MIA-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB-MAN. He spent 4 nights in hotels and the other 3 on planes.

We met him for dinner during his last transit through HNL, as we had also taken advantage of the same fares for a trip to Hawaii. We did the more sedate MAN-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-LAX-LHR-DUB-MAN over 3 weeks.

During dinner it was safe to say my brother was not his usual self and would have easily failed Dr Dilligaf's A**e or Elbow test if he performed it on himself.

He was also very ill for a few days when he got back.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by xenole
I like being on planes and paying as little as possible to do so, so these TP runs, whilst helping my status and earning Avios, do get me around a bit.

If can fly LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-PTY for example for Ł300 in first, I'll do that rather than pay something like 3x the price to fly LAX-MIA in business.
Had a few transportation vouchers as well due to delayed flights and/or volunteering to catch another flight and these practically pay for something like this.

Sometimes you get those special planes such as the 777 and A321T on the longer sectors for a fraction of the price and as it's only a few days of my year I'm putting aside for this, it's no big deal. I get home, get back to my own bed and can eat properly once again.
Occasionally I do make a holiday out of these things.

As for keeping hydrated, I tend not to do that - don't want too many toilet trips if I'm in a window seat so don't drink much on planes.

I do find a nice hot shower and a change of clothes helps a lot so will try and factor in enough time at LAX, SFO, MIA, JFK etc. for this.
(Had a few PHX-PHL flights and no showers in the AC at PHL so had to wait until MIA or perhaps CLT or RDU?)
Not judging at all mate. If this is something you like, all the power to you. Enjoy!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:47 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
This is the thing - I know how long it takes me to get over a single longish flight so the prospect of doing several one after another doesn't look even remotely attractive.

Happy enough with the occasional short haul these days, on my terms. Employer requests to do long haul in Y will be refused point blank on health grounds.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by V10
This is the thing - I know how long it takes me to get over a single longish flight so the prospect of doing several one after another doesn't look even remotely attractive.
The thing I found was that the flights were so closely bunched up that it was more like one long nightmare than a succession of shorter ones ...
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by mikebg
The thing I found was that the flights were so closely bunched up that it was more like one long nightmare than a succession of shorter ones ...
Sometimes these are fine as some airports you don't want to be spending ages in.
Other times, you just end up getting sweaty by rushing from one side of an airport to another with no time to breathe, go to the toilet, check any internet stuff, eat or buy something, but the worst thing is having next to no power on your phone / laptop as the last 4 flights had zero power points to charge up anything (and you've now got a 5-6hr transcon flight on a plane with no inflight entertainment).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I've never done a TP run but I have done some TP'esque runs for work.

One that sticks to my mind is from 2014 LHR-IST-ADB-IST-LHR-ORD-PHL-ORD-LAX-ORD-SDF-CLT-JFK-LHR

This was done over five and a bit days. Izmir and back starting on the red eye TK flight and returning the next evening, London to Philly(via Chicago) off to LA, one day in LA then the Red eye flight back to ORD that evening, two flights and two meetings, off to NYC and back to LHR on the last flight out of JFK. by the end I knew ORD better than the architect.

As many have said, the biggest issue for me is staying hydrated. I sometimes drink alcohol on planes but only for high days and holidays, otherwise it just dries me out. The other is diet. You go to the lounge, sit, eat, walk to the plane, sit, eat, land at the place meet the client etc and if your staying at the evening, go out and eat. That sit eat repeat is the health hazard. I often don't get a lot of time to exercise when I'm on the road so now I just eat less and less when I'm in an airport or aircraft and save it for the work dinners.

Being a fairly keen flier I often get excited by these type of itineraries when I see them before but afterwards I say to myself why do I do it to myself. However It gets me home quicker and after about a month I'm ready for another one!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It's not those doing TP Runs who suffer massively - it's those of us going back and forth to the USA/Asia on a regular basis for work.

Many think that flying in J/F makes it palpable, but it doesn't. Sure, it's more comfortable than being in W/Y, but I'd rather sleep in a single bed on the ground, than a large seat in the sky.

M
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I now feel more nervous about my LHR-JKF-LAX-SFO and back all in First at the end of November on 777, 747 and A321. At least I have 3 nights in SFO.

The closest I've done to this has been a holiday to Hawaii, with a pretty intense flight schedule, but at least with 10+ days at the destination!

I fly "often" but not as often as many of you, so I don't think I have really been able to appreciate the difference in terms of air quality between various aircraft, despite having flown on all in-use long haul planes, but the A350.

How bad is really the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.