Tier Point Runs V Health

Old Oct 13, 17, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Yep, Euro day trips are horrible. You're in bed early the night before, up ridiculously early, in bed late, and then potentially up again first thing to get back to the airport.

The perceived glamour of frequent flying, that many non frequent flyers see, very quickly washes off.

M
The days of the general public thinking frequent short haul flying is glamorous are long gone....O'Leary put paid to that.
We now only have sympathy for the likes of you.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Red face Constipation Sir...

Yes Sir,

constipation sir...the enemy of any long haul flight and a tier point run in particular...

Massive porkfest in the F lounge at 7am followed by "second breakfast" (as per Lord of the Rings ) whilst flying to whatever EU destination is going to be the launch pad for the trip. Then lunch on the return trip followed by "afternoon tea" and "early dinner" in the F lounge as you wait for the long haul main event. Finally of course, dinner (a BA signature steak of course) on the long haul to wherever...

The risk is significantly increased if all snacks that are presented are then consumed and champagne drunk.

The result means arriving at the destination with a gut full of decomposing red meat. Alcohol, the salty snacks and cabin air also ensure maximum dehydration and errr... resulting hardness of the etc etc

Dulcolax to the rescue...!!

I wish this wasn't true...Chris
Great_circle likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:36 am
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
The result means arriving at the destination with a gut full of decomposing red meat.
Probably why I don't eat much Meat anymore.
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:56 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
I don't do TP runs but i do end up on some bookings that resemble them, usually Asia to Europe with a connection or two either side and then back again within a couple of days.

I'm prone to get mouth ulcers as a marker of when I'm run down and without fail I'll come out with them a few days after a long flight.

@angeloedades I also always used to get nosebleeds especially on the BA 747s. Over time I seem to have adapted and now I fly long haul mostly on the A350.
Your nose is awesome @1010101 for adapting! I wish mine did ASAP! I am obssessed with the B77W which is bad for my nose but sometimes unavoidable (like if you are doing BA15) but as you say, when you have a choice on flying on the new equipment - I choose it!

By any chance, when you had nosebleeds - did your doctor recommend some steroid cream to help it heal?
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:38 pm

My longest continuous one was in the middle of a MR, where I'd nested two tickets together.

It was a continuous DCA-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-PTY i.e. four, six hour segments back to back with about ninety minutes at the airport between each flight. Thankfully there was enough time for showers at LAX and MIA, but I was utterly wrecked after it. I slept for about 14 hours solidly at my mates place in PTY.
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Chris_G View Post
Yes Sir,

constipation sir...the enemy of any long haul flight and a tier point run in particular...

Massive porkfest in the F lounge at 7am followed by "second breakfast" (as per Lord of the Rings ) whilst flying to whatever EU destination is going to be the launch pad for the trip. Then lunch on the return trip followed by "afternoon tea" and "early dinner" in the F lounge as you wait for the long haul main event. Finally of course, dinner (a BA signature steak of course) on the long haul to wherever...

The risk is significantly increased if all snacks that are presented are then consumed and champagne drunk.

The result means arriving at the destination with a gut full of decomposing red meat. Alcohol, the salty snacks and cabin air also ensure maximum dehydration and errr... resulting hardness of the etc etc

Dulcolax to the rescue...!!

I wish this wasn't true...Chris
I feel your pain! One TP run I got the same, most others no issue at all and I generally ingest most of what’s offered. Here is what alleviated things for me:
  • Yoghurt or, even better, kefir
  • Exercise in between flights i.e. in hotel gym, or failing that walking up stairs when could use lift, not using travelator etc.
  • Obviously lots of water
  • Camomile tea
  • A spicy meal or even hot Bloody Mary from AA lounge bar
  • Not obsessing over when to go and carrying on as usual
  • Worse comes to worse, senna tea, much better and more natural feeling than tablets
  • Double espresso and Marlboro Gold

Last edited by choosethedrew; Oct 13, 17 at 4:25 pm
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
Not a TP runner, but as I am sitting on my seventh flight since Saturday, I would say my biggest hazard is eating in T5 GF a few times a week! Other posters probably face more serious calorific hazards in CCR.

Not alcoholic hazards though as I am always driving at each end.
Crikey , what is your career if you do not mind me asking or are you a chronic TP runner in denial...
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:35 pm

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, Gold with BA, but no Moroccan Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Crikey , what is your career if you do not mind me asking or are you a chronic TP runner in denial...
I am a lawyer. I practice in a few countries. I do 2 flights a week, sometimes four most weeks. Never more than 10
Had a call out which required a few more flights on Sun-Mon.

Ate in GF on Sun, Mon and Thurs this week.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by angeloedades View Post
Your nose is awesome @1010101 for adapting! I wish mine did ASAP! I am obssessed with the B77W which is bad for my nose but sometimes unavoidable (like if you are doing BA15) but as you say, when you have a choice on flying on the new equipment - I choose it!

By any chance, when you had nosebleeds - did your doctor recommend some steroid cream to help it heal?
Never asked. I know the cause and it heals itself so never saw a need to.
Old Oct 15, 17, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We did LHR-DUB-LHR-JFK-(overnight)-PHX-HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-DUB-LHR as our first ever TP run at Christmas. 2 hours in Honolulu airport before getting back on the plane seems crazy, I know.
Then at Easter, we did LHR-OTP-(overnight)-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-(overnight)-PHL-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP-(overnight)-LHR. The worst aspect was the changing between terminals at LHR!
I agree with all the advice given here:
- hydrate as much as possible
- shower and change clothes between flights if you can
- try and moderate alcohol (I fail on this one)
I'd add:
- always set your watch to destination time when you board
- travel light (we do our TP run with a backpack only)