Tier Point Runs V Health

Reply

Old Oct 13, 17, 8:04 am
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,232
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Yep, Euro day trips are horrible. You're in bed early the night before, up ridiculously early, in bed late, and then potentially up again first thing to get back to the airport.

The perceived glamour of frequent flying, that many non frequent flyers see, very quickly washes off.

M
The days of the general public thinking frequent short haul flying is glamorous are long gone....O'Leary put paid to that.
We now only have sympathy for the likes of you.
Great_circle likes this.
HIDDY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:25 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 119
Red face Constipation Sir...

Yes Sir,

constipation sir...the enemy of any long haul flight and a tier point run in particular...

Massive porkfest in the F lounge at 7am followed by "second breakfast" (as per Lord of the Rings ) whilst flying to whatever EU destination is going to be the launch pad for the trip. Then lunch on the return trip followed by "afternoon tea" and "early dinner" in the F lounge as you wait for the long haul main event. Finally of course, dinner (a BA signature steak of course) on the long haul to wherever...

The risk is significantly increased if all snacks that are presented are then consumed and champagne drunk.

The result means arriving at the destination with a gut full of decomposing red meat. Alcohol, the salty snacks and cabin air also ensure maximum dehydration and errr... resulting hardness of the etc etc

Dulcolax to the rescue...!!

I wish this wasn't true...Chris
Great_circle likes this.
Chris_G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:36 am
  #63  
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego,CA
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 958
The result means arriving at the destination with a gut full of decomposing red meat.
Probably why I don't eat much Meat anymore.
When I Travel The World is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:56 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LHR/LCY
Programs: Meow Mix
Posts: 1,328
Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
I don't do TP runs but i do end up on some bookings that resemble them, usually Asia to Europe with a connection or two either side and then back again within a couple of days.

I'm prone to get mouth ulcers as a marker of when I'm run down and without fail I'll come out with them a few days after a long flight.

@angeloedades I also always used to get nosebleeds especially on the BA 747s. Over time I seem to have adapted and now I fly long haul mostly on the A350.
Your nose is awesome @1010101 for adapting! I wish mine did ASAP! I am obssessed with the B77W which is bad for my nose but sometimes unavoidable (like if you are doing BA15) but as you say, when you have a choice on flying on the new equipment - I choose it!

By any chance, when you had nosebleeds - did your doctor recommend some steroid cream to help it heal?
angeloedades is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:38 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,636
My longest continuous one was in the middle of a MR, where I'd nested two tickets together.

It was a continuous DCA-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-PTY i.e. four, six hour segments back to back with about ninety minutes at the airport between each flight. Thankfully there was enough time for showers at LAX and MIA, but I was utterly wrecked after it. I slept for about 14 hours solidly at my mates place in PTY.
Dave_C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:09 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spitalfields, London
Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Posts: 781
Originally Posted by Chris_G View Post
Yes Sir,

constipation sir...the enemy of any long haul flight and a tier point run in particular...

Massive porkfest in the F lounge at 7am followed by "second breakfast" (as per Lord of the Rings ) whilst flying to whatever EU destination is going to be the launch pad for the trip. Then lunch on the return trip followed by "afternoon tea" and "early dinner" in the F lounge as you wait for the long haul main event. Finally of course, dinner (a BA signature steak of course) on the long haul to wherever...

The risk is significantly increased if all snacks that are presented are then consumed and champagne drunk.

The result means arriving at the destination with a gut full of decomposing red meat. Alcohol, the salty snacks and cabin air also ensure maximum dehydration and errr... resulting hardness of the etc etc

Dulcolax to the rescue...!!

I wish this wasn't true...Chris
I feel your pain! One TP run I got the same, most others no issue at all and I generally ingest most of what’s offered. Here is what alleviated things for me:
  • Yoghurt or, even better, kefir
  • Exercise in between flights i.e. in hotel gym, or failing that walking up stairs when could use lift, not using travelator etc.
  • Obviously lots of water
  • Camomile tea
  • A spicy meal or even hot Bloody Mary from AA lounge bar
  • Not obsessing over when to go and carrying on as usual
  • Worse comes to worse, senna tea, much better and more natural feeling than tablets
  • Double espresso and Marlboro Gold

Last edited by choosethedrew; Oct 13, 17 at 4:25 pm
choosethedrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:13 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cape Town
Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Posts: 1,521
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
Not a TP runner, but as I am sitting on my seventh flight since Saturday, I would say my biggest hazard is eating in T5 GF a few times a week! Other posters probably face more serious calorific hazards in CCR.

Not alcoholic hazards though as I am always driving at each end.
Crikey , what is your career if you do not mind me asking or are you a chronic TP runner in denial...
Flame3601 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:35 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, Gold with BA, but no Moroccan Gold
Posts: 4,844
Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Crikey , what is your career if you do not mind me asking or are you a chronic TP runner in denial...
I am a lawyer. I practice in a few countries. I do 2 flights a week, sometimes four most weeks. Never more than 10
Had a call out which required a few more flights on Sun-Mon.

Ate in GF on Sun, Mon and Thurs this week.
Flame3601 likes this.
antichef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 8:14 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,493
Originally Posted by angeloedades View Post
Your nose is awesome @1010101 for adapting! I wish mine did ASAP! I am obssessed with the B77W which is bad for my nose but sometimes unavoidable (like if you are doing BA15) but as you say, when you have a choice on flying on the new equipment - I choose it!

By any chance, when you had nosebleeds - did your doctor recommend some steroid cream to help it heal?
Never asked. I know the cause and it heals itself so never saw a need to.
1010101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 17, 8:22 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 104
We did LHR-DUB-LHR-JFK-(overnight)-PHX-HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-DUB-LHR as our first ever TP run at Christmas. 2 hours in Honolulu airport before getting back on the plane seems crazy, I know.
Then at Easter, we did LHR-OTP-(overnight)-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-(overnight)-PHL-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP-(overnight)-LHR. The worst aspect was the changing between terminals at LHR!
I agree with all the advice given here:
- hydrate as much as possible
- shower and change clothes between flights if you can
- try and moderate alcohol (I fail on this one)
I'd add:
- always set your watch to destination time when you board
- travel light (we do our TP run with a backpack only)
puqui99 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread