Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How far ahead of time can equipment change occur?

Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Just seeing what looks like a change from 788 to 789 on a flight in five months from now. Is that unusual?

Doesn't appear to be volume related. In CW I'm the only current seat, plus two blocked bassinet seats farther back.

All eight F seats currently blocked. Hope it operates and I can snag one!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:39 am

Equipment changes can occur at any time.
There have been some well publicised notifications about 787 engine problems requiring maintenance of late. Some airlines are affected more than others. It could be logistically your 787-8 route is affected and has been subbed with the 787-9 while the fix happens.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I have had two equipment swaps from A321 to A319 and vice-versa in the last day or so for flight in June and July next year , can happen anytime.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:50 am

MyFlights (god rest its soul....) has given me lots of equipment changes in the last few days. Especially on the JFK-LHR there seems to be a lot of what was planned to be 777s is now moving towards 747s (UD ^). A couple of timings changes on an ORD and also I understand from a FTer that CAI has changed from 788 to 789, which may prove good opportunity to sit in F whilst on a CW fare (technicalities of this excluded, of course).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Yep my 4 CAI<-->LHR segments in April and May next year have all shifted from 788s to 789s, thankfully my seats were reassigned from row 3A/K originally to 7A/K on the 789...if they decide to swap back I hope they remember my old choice.

I have heard of F being opened on these and then closing, result that people were being shunted to a rubbish seat in the CW cabin - not sure what best strategy is!

Also seen one BA US flight on a 777 (which I was going to change) swap to 747. Probably worth me getting these all set up on Expert Flyer now.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Could by any time from the moment after you book until departure (which might be a delay due to a swap).

Even without mechanical and other issues, carriers maximize the efficiency of their fleet. If the economy perks up at one location, it may make sense to swap larger aircraft onto a route and to substitute the smaller aircraft into the unexpectedly poorly-performing route.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by nh1980
Yep my 4 CAI<-->LHR segments in April and May next year have all shifted from 788s to 789s, thankfully my seats were reassigned from row 3A/K originally to 7A/K on the 789...if they decide to swap back I hope they remember my old choice.

I have heard of F being opened on these and then closing, result that people were being shunted to a rubbish seat in the CW cabin - not sure what best strategy is!

Also seen one BA US flight on a 777 (which I was going to change) swap to 747. Probably worth me getting these all set up on Expert Flyer now.
LHR-CAI/reverse is the same equipment change I'm seeing. However, it's 788 one way, 789 the other.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.