GGL Ritz do tonight (10/10)

Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, BA Lifetime Gold
GGL Ritz do tonight (10/10)

For those of you not invited or did not come - tough luck. This was BA at its best at the best hotel in London. The evening deserves a longer report than this - perhaps another FT scribe would like to contribute but let me say:-

1. Great reception with a genuine attempt to help people mingle; and
2. Fantastic wines with the buyers on hand to explain why they bought this wine for BA.

I have not even mentioned the food prepared and delivered over four courses by one of the top three chefs in the world.

The only negative was an intervention by a guest who tried to disparage the contribution by another BA guest giving the vote of thanks but otherwise a 5 star evening. If the critic is a FT member perhaps he could explain his point or otherwise shut up.

More to follow.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What? I was across the road this afternoon at the RSC on Piccadilly. I could have come as your plus one Africanflyer1955
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Africanflyer1955
The only negative was an intervention by a guest who tried to disparage the contribution by another BA guest giving the vote of thanks but otherwise a 5 star evening. If the critic is a FT member perhaps he could explain his point or otherwise shut up.

More to follow.
What was the guest's vote of thanks for those lucky enough to hear it?

Extolling the virtues of BA? Or somewhat of a diatribe against his polite hosts?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

KARFA - you let me down. My wife was at LGW en route to Seville and texting me to say having boarded they faced a four hour delay for take off due to the ATC issues in France. My guest for the evening had cancelled on short notice ( his grandees funeral). How could I not have considered you were the freeloader I needed, be more proactive in future.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdBoy
What was the guest's vote of thanks for those lucky enough to hear it?

Extolling the virtues of BA? Or somewhat of a diatribe against his polite hosts?
As far as I recall the guest was recalling an anecdote about how BA had helped him in foreign climes when he was interrupted by another guest who said he should get to the issue of why BA was useless. He was ignored and the evening progressed.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
As far as I recall the guest was recalling an anecdote about how BA had helped him in foreign climes when he was interrupted by another guest who said he should get to the issue of why BA was useless. He was ignored and the evening progressed.
All's well that ends well.

And it's good to hear BA are inviting FT-ers to speak at these events!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL
KARFA - you let me down. My wife was at LGW en route to Seville and texting me to say having boarded they faced a four hour delay for take off due to the ATC issues in France. My guest for the evening had cancelled on short notice ( his grandees funeral). How could I not have considered you were the freeloader I needed, be more proactive in future.
Dodged a bullet there, Africanflyer1955

Sounds like a great night. Glad you enjoyed it ^
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
For those of you not invited or did not come - tough luck. This was BA at its best at the best hotel in London. The evening deserves a longer report than this - perhaps another FT scribe would like to contribute but let me say:-

1. Great reception with a genuine attempt to help people mingle; and
2. Fantastic wines with the buyers on hand to explain why they bought this wine for BA.

I have not even mentioned the food prepared and delivered over four courses by one of the top three chefs in the world.
Is this for real? I wasn't sure if I entered some parallel FT universe where BA actually got their wallet out for once. Seems I actually have!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:05 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It’s a shame that BA at its best is on the ground at a special event and nothing to do with their core operations.
ANstar and dougzz like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It's usually more useful to listen to your critics than to your fans. Given BAs recent numbers there is urgent need for this.
ANstar likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Agreed, it was without question the best BA event I have been to. I will try and post a more fulsome description later today.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
It's usually more useful to listen to your critics than to your fans. Given BAs recent numbers there is urgent need for this.
Nah. And a message for all us 'tough luck' plebs that couldn't get in to Versailles The Ritz

"Let them buy cake"
stevie and kitbag1984 like this.

Last edited by ratechaser; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:19 am
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
It’s a shame that BA at its best is on the ground at a special event and nothing to do with their core operations.
It is indeed a great shame !

And perhaps also a wonder that the senior executive team who choose to arrange such events are the very same managers whose corporate culture encourages & condones the often dreadful responses to aggrieved customers of the airline, as regularly recounted here on FT.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:30 am

If you were being cynical you could argue it’s a lot cheaper to identify a selection of high value customers & influencers, fill them full of booze and nice food and offer platitudes every once in a while about things getting better, than it is to actually improve service issues in a cost cutting environment.
kitbag1984 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
If you were being cynical you could argue it’s a lot cheaper to identify a selection of high value customers & influencers, fill them full of booze and nice food and offer platitudes every once in a while about things getting better, than it is to actually improve service issues in a cost cutting environment.
You could be right.

Plus ..... who knows .... maybe a good proportion of BA's HVC's and 'influencers' are so wedded to the airline as to feel that things are actually fine & dandy in BA world, under the current regime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.