Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by YacozA
For the record: AA have just completed renovation of the Admiral Club, although it offers mediocre food, and an additional connection to LHR.

It does have a Coke Freestyle machine though.
yes the AC is good, for an AC, but its in the transborder area and we can't use it.

It's sad to see the BA lounge go, if it is a permanent closure, I loved that lounge and a great place to plane spot too
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I return from there on the 2nd November.. that will be fun. As others have said, the lounge is perfect, the staff incredible, and I really like the pre-flight dining option. Who wants to eat on the plane when you only have about 6 hours in which to sleep?!

I have tried the lounge to the left in the past, not sure which one that is. It's frankly horrible - seems a limit on how much you can drink, food pretty average, and just so noisy
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Assuming the YYZ lounge is closing this will affect CW and F passengers in a route with rarely an empty seat in those cabin and as CWS states the most expensive TATL route available. The lounge really was one of the best.
The plaza Premium lounge from 5pm onwards is almost always choc a block and rarely a seat to be found as it is....add 50-80 BA passengers per flight and good luck !!!
Not to mention the buffet is rubbish and booze below basic
Will BA be letting people booked in Nov know as we have friends flying F early Nov really looking forward to the F pre-flight dining (which is about the best of any food in a NA airport lounge as we have had to date) so they can max sleep on the short flight.
This will cut into BA revenue I'm sure once the news is out.... not that a few less seats purchased from YYz is going to make an iota of difference
They could likely cancel the route and it wouldn't matter a damn
Shame. But the PPL won't work and can't handle the volume
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
But presumably that buffet is open to anyone in the lounge, so hardly exclusive pre-flight dining for BA J passengers. And as for F!!!
Yes - it is - and I agree - it's a step down for both sets of passengers. Indeed it's a massive step down for the F passengers.

From a slightly selfish point of view (as a WTP flying CCR cardholder) - this will make WTP more attractive as I'll be guaranteed a meal prior to the flight.

But - honestly - the loss of the lounge team there more that outweighs that benefit.

I agree with the astonishment here (as I already expressed on page 1) - but there are a couple of things that feed into this for me:

1) The third summer flight has been missing for a while now suggesting BA felt it was better used elsewhere.

2) BA have been chopping and changing equipment on this route since the -9 was introduced. You could get any combination of 777 (any type)/747 (any type)/787-8 or -9 flying there.

Some days would have no F, some would have two flights, some one. So perhaps this route wasn't as good for BA as we think?

But if BA *are* closing this lounge for good (and keep in mind there are massive renovations going on in T3 so it is possible it's a long-term-temporary situation) then this calls into question a huge fleet of outstation lounges.

Why keep DFW with it's one flight a day if YYZ with two and sleeper services isn't worth it? (for example)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilčge, Air Canada Aeroplan
This is awful news, and I think the straw that will make me switch to Air Canada.

I fly back to the UK from YYZ about 6-8 times a year and love the lounge. The service is always great and it means if flying WT or WTP that I can get a decent late night snack in the lounge before skipping food on the plane and going straight to some sleep.

It's also almost always full, sometimes hard to find a seat, so no idea where everyone is going to go.

Plus they are starting a third flight (to LGW) from May next year which makes the decision even more nuts!

What is the best way to complain to BA about this?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Truly awful news - I wouldn't mind if the Plaza Premium was decent, but it's terrible in comparison. Maybe time to switch over to DL for me.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilčge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Just wondering if it might be appropriate to amend the title of this thread, adding 'is closing' so that people are are it's not just a thread enquiring where the lounge is or something!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Although I only used the lounge once ( at the August bank holiday weekend) this is awful news for the staff and the facilities.

The staff were great and the F pre flight dining was excellent and allowed maximum rest time on board for the short overnight flight ( flight time of 6 hrs 15min leaving YYX at 1830)

I have not been in the plaza premium lounge but cannot see it being better than the BA lounge.

I wonder if there are any other lounges at risk? ( esp at airports with 1 or 2 Ba flights a day)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting if it is true, especially as BA is launching LGW flights to YYZ next year.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Why keep DFW with it's one flight a day if YYZ with two and sleeper services isn't worth it? (for example)
DFW is a third party lounge operated by Lounge Club.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I wonder if there are any other lounges at risk? ( esp at airports with 1 or 2 Ba flights a day)
In terms of destinations where there are BA operated lounges (and not taking into account route prestige or capacity/cost of other lounges), these routes have days where only one flight a day operates on selected days:

BDA - typically 1 flight per day to LGW; not sure there is an alternative lounge for BA to use.

YVR - typically 1 flight per day to LHR; BA could use the CX or Plaza Premium lounges.

SEA - typically 1-2 flights per day to LHR; not sure there is an alternative lounge for BA to use.

ABV - typically 1 flight per day to LHR; not sure there is an alternative lounge for BA to use.

LOS - typically 1 flight per day to LHR, BA could use the third party ASL Lagos lounge as IB and QR do.

CPT - typically 1 flight per day to LHR, BA could use the third party Bidvest Premier lounge as QR do. The BA lounge here was recently refurbished, so I don't see this closing any time soon.

YYZ is an oddity because it has 2 flights per day to LHR (and soon 1 flight on some days to LGW), plus it has ground dining.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
At YVR BA already sends their overflow to Plaza Premium during the summer months when the A380 operates the route. There's not much else flying at this hour from the D gates, so Plaza Premium (which isn't bad at YVR) could probably take the load.

BA084 operates during the CX lounge closure between CX837 in the afternoon and CX889/888 either side of midnight. It would cost BA significantly to get CX to open up the lounge for BA084 when Plaza Premium is already there, and there's already a commercial relationship.

I would not be surprised to see YVR for the chop. It's not a make or break issue for me, but it may be that I'm better off moving back to *A as the salami tactics continue.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:01 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
This is now confirmed by BA.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Ah pox. Booked in F during the sale and was looking forward to the lounge specifically.

BA really are great at p***ing off customers with penny pinching. Can accept that at Ryanair prices. Really feels like a slap in the face to have an F ticket and no enhanced ground experience.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder which lounges are next? There must be a few in Europe they could chop

Dave_C likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.