Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
I shall await the gospel, that is C-W-S, for confirmation of this tragic news!
Kgmm77 and Ziz like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Are you [mod: redacted] joking? This really might be the straw that broke the camel's back. Honestly, the ice is only getting thinner... The Plaza lounge really isn't great...

The only good possibility would be if CX opened a lounge in that space, I hear they're going to 2x/3x daily soon.

I will have a chance to say goodbye thankfully, got a flight outta YYZ at the end of the month. Although I have never been impressed with the lounge (Lack of showers, and yes I know the plaza has one), YYZ is a real dump. This really will make AC a more attractive deal.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 10, 2017 at 11:14 pm Reason: Rule 16 - disguised profanity
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Nexus
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
It makes more sense being Toronto based to give my business to Star. The YYZ BA lounge was one of the reasons I stay with BA as the YYZ Maple Leaf Intl lounge is lousy. This airline really must be doing so well they don't care about chasing customers away.
Its been verified on the AC forum that they are in the process of opening a brand new international lounge at YYZ. There has also been a huge surge of upgrading other lounges across the AC network including LHR, FRA, YVR recently.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...yyz-int-l.html
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:09 pm

YVR is probably next for the chopping board...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:27 pm

I have no inside or outside knowledge but this news would seem similar to what's happened at US outstations.

BA staff there will be no more.

You must use another airline if unhappy about this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Wow! This is one of my main routes, and the YYZ lounge was one of my favourite out stations. If this indeed turns out to be true, I will definitely change my flight pattern there. Pre flight dining was really nice so could just walk into the plane and fall asleep... This may have been the nail in the coffin on my part with BA, sad... Lovely lounge and lovely people!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've always liked the YYZ lounge, the staff were really helpful when I had to change subsequent flights due to a late departure from YYZ which would cause me to misconnect.

Seems like there are fewer and fewer reasons to fly BA everyday.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Very sad for the great staff and disappointing for the passengers.

Not looking forward to the pre flight experience before my return flight next month.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:20 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Say it ain't so!! How will they do the sleeper service?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ziz
Say it ain't so!! How will they do the sleeper service?
I see from the Plaza Premium Lounge website that the lounge serves food so assume some arrangements can be made.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
The YYZ F lounge is one of my favourite BA lounges and if this is a permanent closure, this is a massive and bizarre downgrade of this route. Unless of course equivalent facilities are provided elsewhere.

At present there are separate and very nice J and F sections with premium drinks on F side. No F lounge is clear downgrade and loss of a product differentiator. Most bizarre would be loss of pre-flight dining in F and especially J. Sleeper services from East Coast are a key product feature of BA’s TATL product. How do these continue without proper lounge catering?

I hope the absurdity this implies actually means that we haven’t yet heard the full story. I just hope so!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:33 am

If they are using the plaza lounge there was a hot buffet in there the last time I went through it. it wasn't as good as the BA club world one and obviously nowhere near the F dining but it was food. But the lounge was also heaving when i was last there and the BA lounge is rarely quiet so I don't see how this will work.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by MPH1980
If they are using the plaza lounge there was a hot buffet in there the last time I went through it. it wasn't as good as the BA club world one and obviously nowhere near the F dining but it was food. But the lounge was also heaving when i was last there and the BA lounge is rarely quiet so I don't see how this will work.
But presumably that buffet is open to anyone in the lounge, so hardly exclusive pre-flight dining for BA J passengers. And as for F!!!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I shall await the gospel, that is C-W-S, for confirmation of this tragic news!
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything. I am very surprised however, since YYZ was supposedly one of the jewels in the BA crown, as evidenced by the relatively high fares there and relatively small amount of deals offered even off peak. One of the reasons for this is that BA are/were much better overall than the competition (who weren't any cheaper), so I have difficulty computing this, particularly if AC up their game slightly.

I will share any news that I get on this one.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
For the record: AA have just completed renovation of the Admiral Club, although it offers mediocre food, and an additional connection to LHR.

It does have a Coke Freestyle machine though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.