Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baxterstorey contract renewal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
But, surely, LHR T5 is a shopping mall, is it not?
It is. For multi millionaires. Not for the rest of us.

Took me ages to find a WH Smith last time I was looking, just to buy some coke for the plane, not going to nick it from the lounge or buy onboard. I didn't realise there was one right underneath the lounges, and had to walk absolutely ages to find somewhere which sold coke...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Raffles
The story goes, may be untrue, that BS was legged over by the old supplier on TUPE.

As you know, you are obliged to take on the existing staff on existing contracts. So, on the last day, the old contractor gave all the staff a big pay rise and there were a huge number of promotions of unsuitable people. BS was legally obliged to honour all this.
That is questionable, both in reality and legally.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
mrvincent is spot on. I have never worked in catering, but have bought it in a previous corporate life. As soon as big numbers of "guests" are to be catered for, a decent firm can make big improvements with a few extra pennies per head.
This is nothing like restaurants and their a la carte rip offs.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Even the VS Clbuhouse, and my particular favourite, CX HKG Pier F lounge. Lounge time is just wasted time sitting in airports.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/cliff...b_5903598.html
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
It is all about the money. BS will provide what BA pays it to provide. I went to the head office of one of BS' main competitors recently, a company which has managed catering contracts on a variety of sites I've worked on. On some sites the food was inedible, on others it was top end restaurant quality. In their head office - wow it was amazing!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Originally Posted by scillyisles
... Did not BaxterStorey win the contract in the first place by being cheaper than the incumbent supplier?
I believe so, yes.
No. IIRC the bidders were given the budget in advance and were asked to tender their proposition within tha budget. BA preferred the BS proposition.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Smid
It is. For multi millionaires. Not for the rest of us.

Took me ages to find a WH Smith last time I was looking, just to buy some coke for the plane, not going to nick it from the lounge or buy onboard. I didn't realise there was one right underneath the lounges, and had to walk absolutely ages to find somewhere which sold coke...
For future reference go to Boots (located on the way to gates A1-A7, or pretty much directly under Galleries Club North). They’re cheaper than WHSmith.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Basically agree - I find that as my home and work life combined are so hectic, the actual travel parts of my business trips, even if I am busy working much of the time, still feel like 'me time'.

Any work I get done (ie real output, not just replying to emails etc) are kind of a bonus, and in the meantime no-one is pulling on my time, the nipper isn't lying on his back having a tantrum (or worse).

Hence I tend to err on the side of 'caution' in timing my arrivals at the airport etc.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've spent many hours sitting in lounges.
Once the first couple of hours of trying the menus has passed, I'm generally feeling full and the novelty starts to wear off.

I've no interest walking around endless clothes shops, duty free shops and looking at electronics I'm not going to buy. Even if I do, 15 minutes and that's my fill.

Even in places like Hong Kong, once I've done various touristy and non-touristy bits and pieces, sometimes I just want to get out of the crowded streets into a lounge.
Sometimes wandering the streets to waste 3-4 hours is just as boring as sitting in a lounge or you may not have quite enough time to venture too far off the beaten trail.

I usually go to Boots next to South security at LHR or sometimes downstairs to WHSmiths for a bottle of Diet Pepsi. Not a Coke fan.

Last caterers we had a work provided bowls of crisps, wedges of cake and various ham / cheese etc. sandwiches and all went down well. Nothing majorly fancy and everyone got something with loads to spare.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
I love the shops in T5! In fact, I do most of my clothes shopping there, particularly for coats and shoes. If there's something I want that's not in store, most of the shops will get it in, so I get to save a fair bit of money and earn points on my Heathrow Rewards card. I recently converted points to cash and had over Ł500 to spend, so it does pay off!

As far as the lounges go, if, for example, I have an evening flight, I'll happily turn up to the CCR a few hours ahead of my flight and work from there, rather than home / office as it's always nicer to do so with food and drinks service.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No. IIRC the bidders were given the budget in advance and were asked to tender their proposition within tha budget. BA preferred the BS proposition.
When you say IIRC, where do you recall that information from?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
When you say IIRC, where do you recall that information from?
A discussion I had with someone who is/was employed by one of the parties.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Pratspero
Indeed! Some of the clowns on this forum have been known simply to fly into LHR, hang out in the Concorde Room and First Lounge for many hours eating drinking and sleeping, then fly back to their destination
I nearly choked on my coffee. You naughty boy. Of course. They say that behind every clowns mask is a sad person.

I just have visions of all these people pulling up the rugs to find dirt after scrabbling around on the aircraft floor to find a few crumbs, wine bottles not in the chiller, or other scandalous tidbits to fill this chatboard rather than dealing with it. I’ll bet not one person has a a Lounge Manager out and confronted them or Baxter Sordid.

Still it makes for entertaininme if it’s too early or late for Jeremy Kyle n
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
I apologise for going off topic. But as some of you questioned why I would spend an 11 hour layover in a lounge at T5, earlier in the thread. I thought I would give a follow up. My 11 hour layover is tomorrow (19/10). I am currently writing this from the JFK First lounge where I will be for the next six hours (today being 18/10). I did surprise the check in lady and the lounge angel at my early arrival. But what can I say I like flying, I like visiting lounges to me it is my own money and it is part of my trip. I suppose in my 11 hour layover I can visit all of the BA lounges in T5, (although I have already done that before). I spend a lot of time in London so I have no interest in leaving the airport during the 11 hours, as I will be in central London on Friday and Saturday anyway.

To go back on topic..... I dont care who the food contract goes to as long as I can find something which I like to eat. To that end I dont go hungry in BA's lounges at T5 so therefore I dont care who has the contract. I will only care when I find nothing to eat or edible.

Bri
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ hanmer - IIRC, I myself was amongst those who 'questioned' your plan. So thanks for reverting with an answer ^

I must be honest and say that I'm still totally baffled & bemused. Never imagined that free food could be quite so attractive ! But hey... it's your own time and decision. I can't see that you're doing any harm to anyone else ; and there is, AFAIK, no law against it. Have fun !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.