Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baxterstorey contract renewal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mrvincent
You'll find that it isn't just the supplier that matters but also the budget. I'm currently working on site with a client who uses the same caterer as my company, but the difference is quality is huge. All about how much £££ can be allocated to it... but we know what that means with BA these days.
Completely agree. BS actually won the catering contract in our offices earlier this year. I was not happy. Then I saw what they produced and realised they can do fantastic food - if you’re willing to pay for it...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The sauce is the best part of a curry.
Ah, the great British curry. Or as Peter Kay might say, "2 more lamb bhunas!"

Last edited by ratechaser; Oct 10, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by hanmer
Next Thusday I have an eleven hour layover at T5, so todays seven hours is nothing!!!!! Lounge crawl may be required to stop the insanity taking over. Or maybe a T5 lounge crawl is insanity?

Bri
OMG.

Three hours is about the most I can take (although boredom slowly starts to creep in at anything beyond two).

I can only assume an eleven hour stint is self-inflicted. You owe it to yourself - surely - to get into town and see/do something ......
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
11 hours in a lounge is madness. I would be very bored indeed, and anything more than an hour in a lounge is tedious.

I would suggest that you get out of the airport and enjoy London.
Not if it's the Virgin Clubhouse...
CommanderB likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:35 pm

Close friend of mine has spent the best part of his career working in the airline industry and is a supplier to BA. His comment was that BA procurement will ask for/ expect a reduction in costs on renewal so I think we can all guess what effect this will have on the food quality in all the lounges they service at LHR. Did not BaxterStorey win the contract in the first place by being cheaper than the incumbent supplier?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scillyisles
Close friend of mine has spent the best part of his career working in the airline industry and is a supplier to BA. His comment was that BA procurement will ask for/ expect a reduction in costs on renewal so I think we can all guess what effect this will have on the food quality in all the lounges they service at LHR. Did not BaxterStorey win the contract in the first place by being cheaper than the incumbent supplier?
Considering how easy it is to get status nowadays not to mention how affordable flying in premium cabins is I think BA lounges are pretty good. They weren't all that great when flying was a lot more expensive.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Did not BaxterStorey win the contract in the first place by being cheaper than the incumbent supplier?
I believe so, yes.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:57 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Did notice on my last T5 lounge visit that the offerings appeared to resemble the slop of BS yesteryear. Maybe it was to try and keep the mice away

S
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
Not if it's the Virgin Clubhouse...
Even the VS Clbuhouse, and my particular favourite, CX HKG Pier F lounge. Lounge time is just wasted time sitting in airports.
Petrus and Tafflyer like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The story goes, may be untrue, that BS was legged over by the old supplier on TUPE.

As you know, you are obliged to take on the existing staff on existing contracts. So, on the last day, the old contractor gave all the staff a big pay rise and there were a huge number of promotions of unsuitable people. BS was legally obliged to honour all this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Raffles
As you know, you are obliged to take on the existing staff on existing contracts. So, on the last day, the old contractor gave all the staff a big pay rise and there were a huge number of promotions of unsuitable people. BS was legally obliged to honour all this.
Really surprised at that. In a number of contracts I have seen there are clauses that material changes, i.e. significant ones cannot be made be made either 30 or 60 days before the contract coming into force unless agreed to by both parties, to prevent exactly this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
The story goes, may be untrue, that BS was legged over by the old supplier on TUPE.

I find that very hard to believe.

When negotiating contract changes of this type where TUPE is involved the new contractor will generally have some clause which protects against this and allows them to pass such costs on via the contract price. Otherwise it is easy for an outgoing contractor who is sour at losing out to stitch up the new incumbent.

As experienced contractors I doubt BS would fall for that schoolboy error.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Lounges are the place i really think some "mom and pop" type operators would really stop the complacency and spiraling contract costs.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by simons1
I find that very hard to believe.

When negotiating contract changes of this type where TUPE is involved the new contractor will generally have some clause which protects against this and allows them to pass such costs on via the contract price. Otherwise it is easy for an outgoing contractor who is sour at losing out to stitch up the new incumbent.

As experienced contractors I doubt BS would fall for that schoolboy error.
Although, I must admit to finding the possibility of it rather amusing.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Seven hours? My wife gives me stick if we are there for more than 45 mins... clearly I don’t have the right friends! If she was in a shopping mall, 7 hours would likely be bare minimum...
But, surely, LHR T5 is a shopping mall, is it not?
seanp7 and Stez like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.