Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cabin electronics from CAI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:55 pm

No USB in the lounge (I really don't like the lounge there). If in WTP you will have USB at the seat. Egypt has European sockets. The free WiFi is only short (30 mins) in the main airport, but cheap for more time, lounge WiFi was ok.

There are a few sockets around. Just don't lose your charger like I did!
stevebintley likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You could get a suitable size power bank. Anker make one which I use as a smaller power bank when travelling:
Amazon Amazon

c-w-s swears by a Polanfo Q5 but they seem not to be available any more.

Essentially, you want one with the long axis of the USB socket parallel to the side (not edge) of the battery pack and which is clearly thinner than the USB socket is wide. Many are available with enough power to at least double your phone runtime if not more.
stevebintley likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Cameras in hand luggage

HI
We have an ex-CAI- Hawaii trip next month. I understand that my laptop/Ipad/ kindle/ spare camera battery all need to be checked in but can I take my camera in m y hand luggage? There seem to be some horror stories online of BA saying that cameras and like are ok at check-in and then things getting confiscated before boarding since the wording by BA and also the UK Department of transport website don't include anything about cameras.
Anyone done it recently and any advice since there seems to be conflicting information out there?
Old May 2, 2018, 3:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI
We have an ex-CAI- Hawaii trip next month. I understand that my laptop/Ipad/ kindle/ spare camera battery all need to be checked in but can I take my camera in m y hand luggage? There seem to be some horror stories online of BA saying that cameras and like are ok at check-in and then things getting confiscated before boarding since the wording by BA and also the UK Department of transport website don't include anything about cameras.
Anyone done it recently and any advice since there seems to be conflicting information out there?
cameras are fine.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
cameras are fine.
Thank you KARFA for the quick reply. Have you done this recently?
Old May 2, 2018, 3:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Thank you KARFA for the quick reply. Have you done this recently?
No, but there are numerous posts on here to confirm. I don't remember anyone posting having issues with cameras from CAI or IST. Both BA and UK gov sites explicitly say they are ok.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No, but there are numerous posts on here to confirm. I don't remember anyone posting having issues with cameras from CAI or IST. Both BA and UK gov sites explicitly say they are ok.
Thank you. Just wanted to check since I read somewhere about cameras not being allowed (not on flyertalk), so thought I would check.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:20 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I booked a CAI BA TP run and totally forgot about this electronic ban.

So as far as I understand:
Laptop goes in my checked bag
DSLR Camera (Sony a7ii) and lens are fine in the carry-on
chargers and cables are fine in the carry-on
my power bank, which is bigger than the max phone dimensions will need to be left at home (not in checked or carry-on).

Anything else that I am missing?
Old May 30, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612

my power bank, which is bigger than the max phone dimensions will need to be left at home (not in checked or carry-on).

What you have said is fine except I would suggest packing any chargers and cables into hold luggage too.

I have done the CAI-LHR a few times recently and have seen the gate security take exception and confiscate chargers and cables despite check in having no issue with them.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrow

What you have said is fine except I would suggest packing any chargers and cables into hold luggage too.

I have done the CAI-LHR a few times recently and have seen the gate security take exception and confiscate chargers and cables despite check in having no issue with them.

OK.
So then I guess a USB cable and that is about it I guess. Rest would go in the hold.

Here is an interesting power bank
https://www.amazon.com/MOXNICE-10000mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B077YF47D5/ref=pd_sbs_107_25?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077YF47D5&pd_rd_r=5T56MA5JZCYZ5KM853G4&pd_rd_w=5obMQ&pd_rd_wg=Cvhmd&psc=1&refRID=5T56MA5JZCYZ5KM853G4 https://www.amazon.com/MOXNICE-10000mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B077YF47D5/ref=pd_sbs_107_25?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077YF47D5&pd_rd_r=5T56MA5JZCYZ5KM853G4&pd_rd_w=5obMQ&pd_rd_wg=Cvhmd&psc=1&refRID=5T56MA5JZCYZ5KM853G4
or
Amazon Amazon
Seems to be right under the allowed size and has a built in USB cable

Other power banks
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-10000mAh-Charging-Nintendo/dp/B075Q5G3JN/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1527746383&sr=8-35&keywords=ultra+slim+power+bank https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-10000mAh-Charging-Nintendo/dp/B075Q5G3JN/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1527746383&sr=8-35&keywords=ultra+slim+power+bank
https://www.amazon.com/DULLA-M50000-Portable-12000mAh-External/dp/B077N2DX2X/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1527746024&sr=8-16&keywords=ultra+slim+power+bank https://www.amazon.com/DULLA-M50000-Portable-12000mAh-External/dp/B077N2DX2X/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1527746024&sr=8-16&keywords=ultra+slim+power+bank
https://www.amazon.com/ICHECKEY-10000mAh-Ultra-Slim-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B075FP8G4P/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1527745769&sr=8-9&keywords=ultra+slim+power+bank+20000mah&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011 https://www.amazon.com/ICHECKEY-10000mAh-Ultra-Slim-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B075FP8G4P/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1527745769&sr=8-9&keywords=ultra+slim+power+bank+20000mah&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

Last edited by jason8612; May 31, 2018 at 12:38 am
Old May 31, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First

Chargers in checked bag.

​​​​​​If you need a power bank I recommend the Xiaomi power bank Pro.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem
Chargers in checked bag.

​​​​​​If you need a power bank I recommend the Xiaomi power bank Pro.
Yeah, I think that is one of the ones I posted above.
But what about the USB cable?
Kinda pointless to have a power bank if I can't take my USB cable to charge the phone.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Kinda pointless to have a power bank if I can't take my USB cable to charge the phone.
No restrictions on USB cables - where did you see that? Power adapters (or to be more accurate "power supply unit", a device that alters current) are restricted, but not cables.

[The main thread for this is linked in Post 8 above, plenty more experiences and details there].
Old May 31, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Cables seem to be okay.

There's no X-ray, they just hand search your bags (very thoroughly) and then patdown.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No restrictions on USB cables - where did you see that? Power adapters (or to be more accurate "power supply unit", a device that alters current) are restricted, but not cables.

[The main thread for this is linked in Post 8 above, plenty more experiences and details there].
Just quoting mrow above my post and their experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.