Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cabin electronics from CAI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
BA cabin electronics from CAI

Rudimental searching has thrown me conflicting information on my CAI-LHR flight next week.

This article from Reuters suggests the electionics restrictions from Cairo to the UK have been lifted:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1BC4W8

BA.com with a recent update says otherwise:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

While the Reuters article reports the UK government has relaxed the restrictions, BA makes the government responsible for enforcing apparent current restrictions.

I really do not want to entrust my £3000 laptop to my checked-in baggage. The risk of pilfering or breakage is too great for me and if I cannot carry it on, I will not take it with me. Are there any of you clued-in FTers out there with more insight?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Aside from your Reuters article, I don't think there's been any indication of a change to the restriction from the UK government.

Some of the Turkish and Tunisian airports were dropped from the list in September, but not Egypt.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The advice on the government's own website is consistent with the BA advice, i.e. laptops can't be carried as hand luggage on any flights from Egypt:
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...ectrical-items
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Foltan
Aside from your Reuters article, I don't think there's been any indication of a change to the restriction from the UK government.

Some of the Turkish and Tunisian airports were dropped from the list in September, but not Egypt.
I found more:

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-...hts-from-cairo

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCont...rom-Cairo.aspx

It seems these articles refer to Egyptair and not BA but surely Egyptair are not enforcing tougher security in CAI than BA, are they?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I found more:

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-...hts-from-cairo

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCont...rom-Cairo.aspx

It seems these articles refer to Egyptair and not BA but surely Egyptair are not enforcing tougher security in CAI than BA, are they?
Quite possibly. The ban has been lifted for TK pax ex-IST but not BA. It seems BA are unwilling to meet the required standards.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:04 am
Original Poster

At risk of opening Pandora’s box here, I will still ask the questions: is BA potentially not implementing enhanced security advocated by its own Government in order to save costs? And are those costs not worth the convenience of its own passengers.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For Eygpt is it actually the case that any airlines have been able to relax restrictions for flights inbound to the UK? I can't see any?

Turkey is different as noted with restrictions largely lifted apart from BA. However since you are not flying from Turkey the situation there is somewhat irrelevant.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
At risk of opening Pandora’s box here, I will still ask the questions: is BA potentially not implementing enhanced security advocated by its own Government in order to save costs? And are those costs not worth the convenience of its own passengers.
Already been similar debate on this (admittedly re IST) here: BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
For Eygpt is it actually the case that any airlines have been able to relax restrictions for flights inbound to the UK? I can't see any?

Turkey is different as noted with restrictions largely lifted apart from BA. However since you are not flying from Turkey the situation there is somewhat irrelevant.
Egyptair, specifically from Cairo, yes it would appear so.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Egyptair, specifically from Cairo, yes it would appear so.
Thanks. Hadn't spotted that one.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:29 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
BA and EgyptAir fly from different terminals.

Could this be related to Terminal 3 having the facilities needed to meet the security requirements, but Terminal 2 not ?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Physci
Already been similar debate on this (admittedly re IST) here: BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban
Thanks. Have read that now. Oh dear.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Is there still a ban on BA CAI-LHR flights? It seems rather unclear. I can't imagine that MS allows electronics and BA doesn't, but that appears to be the case.

I would certainly love to work on the flight than enjoy the mediocre in flight entertainment offerings...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by qasr
Is there still a ban on BA CAI-LHR flights? It seems rather unclear. I can't imagine that MS allows electronics and BA doesn't, but that appears to be the case.

I would certainly love to work on the flight than enjoy the mediocre in flight entertainment offerings...
Hi,

Yes there is still a ban on BA CAI-LHR flights.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Yes there is still a ban on BA CAI-LHR flights.
Thanks for the reply. How goddamn frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.