Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do Avios from a cancelled redemption flight recredit immediately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Got a transcon redemption flight on AA in economy.
Been keeping an eye out for business class or above and a couple of flights have appeared near to my preferred dates.

Blown loads of Avios recently so a few short of the redemption.

Should one appear when required, if I were to cancel my existing booking, would the Avios appear back in my account straightaway so that I would then have enough and be able to book then and there?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Got a transcon redemption flight on AA in economy.
Been keeping an eye out for business class or above and a couple of flights have appeared near to my preferred dates.

Blown loads of Avios recently so a few short of the redemption.

Should one appear when required, if I were to cancel my existing booking, would the Avios appear back in my account straightaway so that I would then have enough and be able to book then and there?
if you cancel yourself online yes, contact centre can take a while
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by xenole
... if I were to cancel my existing booking, would the Avios appear back in my account straightaway so that I would then have enough and be able to book then and there?
In my experience yes, almost immediately. As a matter of fact, I cancelled a redemption this morning and received the Avios credit in about two minutes.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
you can get the call centre to hurry it up.
some button they press and voila the points show up instantly for some reason...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Well, did one yesterday morning online and still no sign of the Avios.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:45 am

Whenever I have cancelled a redemption over the phone, the agent has always made sure to credit the avios immediately.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Whenever I have cancelled a redemption over the phone, the agent has always made sure to credit the avios immediately.
This has always been the case for me too. It's cancelling online that has taken longer - last time I had to wait 2 months to get my 30,000 Avios back.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I just recently had Avios from a flight I cancelled back in December suddenly credit this past week. Telephone agent said that there would be no problem, even though it was within 24-hours as I had a weather delay, and had declared a 'Trip in vain'. She did a 'reschedule' so that the flight continued to show up as a booking. A few months later I got an email that my claim had been denied.

Then, suddenly I got credit. I'm happy about that. Though it did take quite long.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes me too, and they always say something specific about being able to see them back in my account straight away.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Hello all,

just checking on this. I cancelled a reward flight (domestic AA) a few days ago and haven’t received any recredit or indeed any confirmation it went through (other than the flights now not showing in my account). The fight was for two weeks time.

Also had the infamous voucher only option page come up (I am assuming this is for the £4.50 of taxes?).

Is this normal or should I get onto BA?

many thanks,

GP
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Hello all,

just checking on this. I cancelled a reward flight (domestic AA) a few days ago and haven’t received any recredit or indeed any confirmation it went through (other than the flights now not showing in my account). The fight was for two weeks time.

Also had the infamous voucher only option page come up (I am assuming this is for the £4.50 of taxes?).

Is this normal or should I get onto BA?

many thanks,

GP
Hi,

Just now if you cancel online you will only get the voucher ( covid era policy) .If you want the avios refunded you would need to call in. However if you wait a little while the voucher may be automatically converted back to avios to your account.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:32 am

I cancelled an Avios 2 for 1 booking earlier this week via the call centre as I had spotted 2 CW seats on a different route I wanted.

Agent made sure the Avios and Amex 2 for 1 voucher were back in my account and visible to me before ending the call. Was advised the taxes/charges would take up to 30 days to refund to my account. No sign of them yet.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Just now if you cancel online you will only get the voucher ( covid era policy) .If you want the avios refunded you would need to call in. However if you wait a little while the voucher may be automatically converted back to avios to your account.

Regards

TBS
thanks TBS. I’m in no rush for the avios so happy to wait. I’m intrigued as to how they even have a voucher for an avios booking as there’s no cash value per se?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.