Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T3 Lounge: is this the best they can do?

LHR T3 Lounge: is this the best they can do?

Old Oct 7, 17, 10:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,547
LHR T3 Lounge: is this the best they can do?

I'm not a frequent BA traveller, but about once a year use my Avios to fly F to or fro LHR. Previously we've enjoyed the Concorde Lounge at T5, which was very good. Yesterday our flight departed from T3 and we ended up in a disappointing, crowded, noisy, somewhat unkempt lounge. Not what I was expecting for an F ticket.

Is this it, or did I miss something?
Sopwith is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: UK/US
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I'm not a frequent BA traveller, but about once a year use my Avios to fly F to or fro LHR. Previously we've enjoyed the Concorde Lounge at T5, which was very good. Yesterday our flight departed from T3 and we ended up in a disappointing, crowded, noisy, somewhat unkempt lounge. Not what I was expecting for an F ticket.

Is this it, or did I miss something?
Yes, that's it. You're better off visiting the much newer Cathay Pacific Lounges in T3 (Business and First) and, when it opens, I've no doubt the Qantas lounge(s) will be considerably nicer too.
Markie likes this.
Mileometer is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:02 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,180
Yes. You missed out on the Cathay Lounge, try it next year
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,274
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Is this it, or did I miss something?
Yes, you missed the utterly excellent CX F lounge, which I rate higher than the T5 CCR.
rossmacd is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:05 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,687
Visiting next weekend so not delighted to read your post.

The lounge was always quiet in my experience in past years but more flights from T3 and JL use mean it is busier now.

Try the CX lounge on your next visit to T3.

Alternatively, stop visiting places that fly from the terminal! The OH is currently refusing to visit any places that require us to go to T3. HEL will be dead to us after next weekend.
TravellerFrequently is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 445
Am I the only person here that thinks the CX lounge is only alright?!

Don't get me wrong, it's better than the BA lounge, but its a little on the small side - therefore gets a little crowded. Especially when theres a CX flight about to leave.

Head to the AA lounge, theres never anyone in there!
jwhite9185 is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 544
Obviously the CX lounge is brilliant, but I prefer GF T3 to its T5 equivalent.

Much less busy, and when travelling with a child the buffet is great. For some reason she loves eating food that you have to serve yourself

When travelling solo from T3, then CX F every time
secretplantofightinflation is online now  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:27 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,733
New Qantas lounge coming very soon too.

BA might as well close down the Galleries.
Raffles is online now  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:36 am
  #9  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,281
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post
Obviously the CX lounge is brilliant, but I prefer GF T3 to its T5 equivalent.

Much less busy, and when travelling with a child the buffet is great. For some reason she loves eating food that you have to serve yourself
Better cake porn with BA too:





[That Cathay cream pot stayed empty all afternoon, though I suppose that solves one fundamental question].

However in your case you could of course use the CX business lounge which is a buffet service. It is the case that if you aren't interested in waiter service - maybe you're in a snacking mode - then CX First can be quite limiting. They won't even serve larger food items outside the dining area - which is perhaps understandable given the plush carpets.

The reality is that with (soon to be) 4 lounges, with 7 or 8 options if Gold or First, we are very spoilt at T3. And despite the comments occasionally raised about Admirals or Galleries Club, all these lounge options are vastly better than 90% of airport lounges on this planet.
Slliw likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BHD
Programs: BMI Diamond club-Gold; BAEC Gold; Qantas FF; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by jwhite9185 View Post
Am I the only person here that thinks the CX lounge is only alright?!

Don't get me wrong, it's better than the BA lounge, but its a little on the small side - therefore gets a little crowded. Especially when theres a CX flight about to leave.

Head to the AA lounge, theres never anyone in there!
Agree on CX. I don't get the fuss. I actually like BA First in T3 and find AA has improved greatly over the past two years. But BA is my favoured one.
jdbelfast is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BHD
Programs: BMI Diamond club-Gold; BAEC Gold; Qantas FF; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
New Qantas lounge coming very soon too.

BA might as well close down the Galleries.
That's fantastic news IMHO. SYD and MEL F lounges are my two favourites. In addition, look at places like SIN where BA and QF are cheek by jowl and QF always kills theBA lounges, particularly in areas of food and showers.
jdbelfast is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:43 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,547
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Better cake porn with BA too:





[That Cathay cream pot stayed empty all afternoon, though I suppose that solves one fundamental question].

However in your case you could of course use the CX business lounge which is a buffet service. It is the case that if you aren't interested in waiter service - maybe you're in a snacking mode - then CX First can be quite limiting. They won't even serve larger food items outside the dining area - which is perhaps understandable given the plush carpets.

The reality is that with (soon to be) 4 lounges, with 7 or 8 options if Gold or First, we are very spoilt at T3. And despite the comments occasionally raised about Admirals or Galleries Club, all these lounge options are vastly better than 90% of airport lounges on this planet.
Looks a lot better than the beans on toast they were serving at BA. Good grief!
Sopwith is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:46 am
  #13  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,281
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Looks a lot better than the beans on toast they were serving at BA. Good grief!
The second photo is the BA lounge.

Beans on toast? That sounds a bit like the BA Galleries Club lounge, are you sure you were in the First lounge?
HIDDY likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 7, 17, 11:54 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
im going to use cx for the first time soon
rracks55 is offline  
Old Oct 7, 17, 12:03 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,547
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The second photo is the BA lounge.

Beans on toast? That sounds a bit like the BA Galleries Club lounge, are you sure you were in the First lounge?
It was the Galleries Lounge. I didn't realize there was a separate first lounge. Where? At the bag drop we were sent to the lounge at Gate 5.
Sopwith is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: