Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest / Easiest way to fly FIRST

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
I suppose the cheapest would be using an Amex 2-4-1 voucher, but I don't think the OP has climbed that ladder yet. A thought for the future, perhaps?

Having been underwhelmed by our first and only First, I could think of better ways to spend money!!
Yes the 2-4-1 was my first thought.

Climbing that ladder now thanks to this forum!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If spending only money, the cheapest cash fares for FIRST would probably come in at about GBP 2,000 on the middle eastern routes, particularly Abu Dhabi and Muscat and potentially also including Dubai. Boston-New York-Washington and the Chinese cities served by BA can probably be had for about GBP 2,500.

Upgrading to FIRST by paying for Club World and using Avios could probably be achieved for between GBP 1,500 and GBP 2,000.

To achieve these fares you will need to watch ba.com closely (I recommend once a week) and look at the find our cheapest fares page for the destinations that you might be interested in. Once in a while, BA will have a sale (advertised prominently) or flash sale (not advertised prominently) and this is the time to snap up your flights.

To make the most of the experience of FIRST, I would consider New York, Dubai and Shanghai because these flights are operated during waking hours in both directions.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Don't waste your money/Avios on BA F, fly Club World (business) or another carrier's F.
Plus one as they say. Spend your cash with a better carrier and get properly blown away.
johnspenceruk likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As for the best possible First experience, I think it's going to be something like a 747 to San Diego, or an A380 to SFO - long enough for you to enjoy it.
Not that I would be one to disagree with you, but what about JNB in an A380? The benefit being no jet lag
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Not that I would be one to disagree with you, but what about JNB in an A380? The benefit being no jet lag
If you only have a short time away then I guess overall a case can be made, but personally I sleep very well in CW and at that stage it matters not whether the ticket is First, or indeed on any airline. So JNB would be best done in CW in my view. If First is being sought for its own ends, then you really want a nice long day time flight, perhaps not too long (e.g. Shanghai), but that's why California, Vancouver are good options, and as 6F has pointed out, BOS and JFK have day flights back too.
johnaalex likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Dubh
Plus one as they say. Spend your cash with a better carrier and get properly blown away.
What do FTers think s the best first from uk or ExEU to USA?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA have occasional free upgrades for one leg of a business class flight to F. I took one a few years ago to Singapore and loved every minute of the 12 hours or so. Actually arrived at the Concorde room about 4 hours early to really enjoy it.

In the recent sale they were offering Ł400 for a F flight on top of business class sale fares return and I've taken one of those to Toronto in November with my own money. So don't listen to the naysayers, and enjoy the experience.

In terms of the best airlines, Emirates A380 in Business class is pretty good - I'd rate that above BA F to be honest for the actual flight. When I did that there were good perks, limousine both ends and a hotel for the layover, I have no idea whether that's still running (shortly after that business travel switched to WT+).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
We've got first to HKG with club back for Ł500 each - using an Amex 2-4-1 voucher and avios. Reckon that's about the cheapest you can get such a long flight in F.

However we have paid for WT+ to Dubai, upgraded to Club with Avios and then got upgraded to first at the gate which was very nice but not by any means guaranteed.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:56 am

Moscow? Really?

Everyone, please, come to your senses.

Who would want to fly to Moscow? Why not send poor fella to Zimbambwe
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frenzie01

Or even Zimbabwe
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by agehall
+1. BA has the worst first class I've tried. (Not counting the domestic "first" in the US). After I took my wife to HKG in BA F a year ago, she has explicitly forbidden me to spend money (or avios for that matter) on BA F.
While this may be true, I think given the cabins the OP has hitherto experienced, I think he'll be just fine in BA F. I an not a regular in F by any standard, but when I find myself there, the overriding sense I have is separation from the rest of the aircraft. The OP will enjoy the sense that he is one of 14 on the plane, and not one of the hundreds behind him. For those who frequent WT/WTP, the sense of space is the winner.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If your heart is set on flying BA F please don't let your mind be swayed by those who say you shouldn't. They may well not like it but that's their problem.

An ex EU CW fare upgraded to F seems to be what many on here do when they're not using a 2 for 1 voucher.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ratechaser
If this is all about 'experiencing' the best possible First flight, and you are open to different destinations, then you might want to consider a wider range of airlines than just BA... there are plenty of threads on this board which debate different First offerings and I would say (at the risk of getting jumped on here) that several airlines have at least anecdotally a better product than BA do.
OP
Have tried "your wish list F' a couple of times and came away disillusioned. Listen to the above post. I have tried other airlines ( SQ, QR EY etc) all great for us.
Last year did a 15.5 hours F on EY, along with the usual trappings (suite on board, F lounges..chauffeur service.) had a chef on board ! Unique experience. ( Flight was AUH to GRU).
johnspenceruk likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by frenzie01

Why fly to Moscow? To see the amazing sights and people that live there. Why fly to the Victoria Falls - same sort of answer. Both locations suffer from their respectively appalling governments, but unfortunately sensible liberal democracy is somewhat on the ropes at the moment. If we used that test alone then even visits below the 49th Parallel may struggle. We can all be ambassadors for the forces of good, wherever we go.
jp_fin and sorp222 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:42 am

When was your JFK-LHR flight? For a step up in experience without a massive jump in price I'd look at another JFK trip with new service & an upper deck 747 seat. Normally available for not much more than 1k each in a sale with 3 nights in a hotel included.

If you really want to fly F then I'd say Moscow then Tel Aviv would be cheapest options & available with your current Avios balance & a 241. I'd definitely suggest F outbound & no more than J back as CCR/F wing is biggest differential on that length flight. For cash you're looking at 2k+ each & I'd struggle to justify another Ł1,000 each for J-F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.