Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Call BA for assistance? They recommend google...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call BA for assistance? They recommend google...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Perhaps it could have been phrased better 'their contact details are available on their website'

Can't say I've ever been offered a contact number to another airline when I've had similar scenarios in the past and with modern smart phones it really is quicker to get the number yourself using the phones functionality to click on the number and press call rather than risking a transcription error. I can also foresee a post when an airline changes their number of someone angry as BA gave them the old number.

Hope you got the number in the end and got the seats sorted.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
I called the silver line today and said I was looking to try to book an avios flight
with S7.
The agent said "Whats S7?"
I said - an airline.
He said "Really? I've never heard of them" and then said "there are only seven airlines in the oneworld alliance"
I haven't a clue who S7 are nor how many airlines are in Oneworld.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Rather than a code S7 is S7 Airlines. A Russian based carrier. One of 14 members of oneworld, although that number also includes airberlin.

https://www.oneworld.com/news-inform...on-to-oneworld
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
Originally Posted by Anonba
There are transfer numbers for joint business partners so there are only transfer numbers for American, Iberia and Finnair.
So BA's joint business with JAL doesn't count then?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
So just like the person on the Silver line, without additional training you would probably not make a very good BA call center rep!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by 777Cat3b
So BA's joint business with JAL doesn't count then?
Well clearly it does matter but yes i missed JAL and Qatar, my original post has been amended.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
you would probably not make a very good BA call center rep!
Oh I don't know....some of my posts on here show I have a knack for dealing with difficult customers.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Had a similar situation with a DL longhaul and CI connector where I couldn't select seats for CI. After numerous logins on both websites and calls to both airlines, I finally got a supervisor at DL who called an internal SkyTeam number and got my seats selected within 5 minutes. Perhaps OW has something similar?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The worst part of the service is not that they agent does not have, or does not provide the number for Finnair. It is the fact that he refers to Finnair. As marketing carrier, BA is responsible for the seat assignments. So the OP is being pushed off to someone who can't help, and can't do anything about it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:58 pm

Slightly OT but very much reflective of the title of this thread.

I was at MH's flagship lounge in KUL... waiting for my spouse's arrival on a different MH flight that was shown as delayed on the arrival boards... I inquired at the lounge reception whether they know what the retimed arrival was (as it had changed several times while I waited).

The receptionist's response? Well our signboards are not "as accurate" - for more accurate latest retiming, just google the flight number.

Gee, thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The point, surely, is that this is a BA assistance line, not a oneworld one.
But oneworld are not customer facing so the OP can’t contact them.

How many time have you heard upon arrival at a destination the cabin crew PA going something along the lines of “and if you need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our oneworld alliance partners who will be happy to help?”

Anytime you actually try and do that you get a blank look!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:58 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The worst part of the service is not that they agent does not have, or does not provide the number for Finnair. It is the fact that he refers to Finnair. As marketing carrier, BA is responsible for the seat assignments. So the OP is being pushed off to someone who can't help, and can't do anything about it.
The opposite is actually true - BA is unable to assign seats in this specific case. If you look through the Tallinn meet-up/fare threads, you’ll find many examples where seat assignments could only be made with the Finnair PNR and via them.

Had the agent given the OP the AY PNR and advised them to contact Finnair that would have been about as much as they could have done.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The opposite is actually true - BA is unable to assign seats in this specific case. If you look through the Tallinn meet-up/fare threads, you’ll find many examples where seat assignments could only be made with the Finnair PNR and via them.

Had the agent given the OP the AY PNR and advised them to contact Finnair that would have been about as much as they could have done.
The OW codeshares are often annoyingly tricky for seat assignments. But in the end it is marekting carrier that has the ownership of it.

Sometimes, though, this forum has work-arounds that are always good to learn.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The easiest feature of Finnair seating hasn't yet been mentioned, which is that Finnair have an instant messaging feature via their website which is able to assign seats. Usually a quick nose around FT - and asking a specific question if necessary - will make this an easier task.

I guess it is unclear / complex to the many passengers, but yes if your seats are marketed by another airline they handle the seating, and very often the operating airline too, not least the airlines within IAG.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, CrabAir Blue
Update:

I called Finnair having googled their number (it wasn't as quick as some people made out). For anyone needing it, the number is 0208 001 0101 and I found it on a website I'd never heard of called airlinescontactnumber.co.uk. Anyway, the difference in service (or ability to do the things I needed) between Finnair and BA's agent was immense. They reserved my seats and sent an email which arrived pretty much instantly summarising all the details for the entire itinerary. Amusingly it looked like it had come from an old style dot matrix printer but that's just for fun.

The fact it had the JAL details on it spurred me to ask the agent if she could reserve the JAL seats as well- and she could! Cue a few more seconds and a second 'dot-matrix' email with all four seats reserved for me. Very happy flyer again!

Why on earth BA couldn't do what the Finnair agent had done is beyond me. Especially given that:

-I booked and paid for the trip on BA's website
-I am in the BA loyalty scheme not Finnair's or JAL's
-Two of the four sectors have a BA flight number- they couldn't even reserve seats on a BA numbered flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.