Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

how to get the best hoard of avios and tier points

Old Oct 3, 17, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS,

Help please people.

i am looking at booking my next trip to Africa and need some help on the options, I have read everything I can find but am even more confused than whe; I started.

i usually book at WT+ ticket and use avios to upgrade to CW

i just wondered if I booked with CW with avios and cash, would I get more avios and tier points.

Thanks in in advance for your help

Last edited by stuart101; Oct 3, 17 at 3:54 pm
Old Oct 3, 17, 3:41 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
You get the same amount, unless you're doing a redemption in which case you'll get zilch.

Obviously doing it means you'll end up spending a load of avios so factor that in with how many you'll earn.
Old Oct 3, 17, 4:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Pack View Post
You get the same amount, unless you're doing a redemption in which case you'll get zilch.

Obviously doing it means you'll end up spending a load of avios so factor that in with how many you'll earn.
I don't think that that is right.

If you book WTP and then UUA to CW you should receive the avios and TPs for the underlying WTP fare although sometimes you may get those for CW but this is not guaranteed and you should be grateful if this is the case.

If you book CW but reduce the cash cost by using avios then you will get the CW avios and TPs.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
And if you really want to max out the tier points and avios then you'll travel via Doha on Qatar - That would be 560 tier points return in business class.

And if you're a little insane, you'll book your Qatar flight from Venice, Prague or wherever Qatar currently has the best fares from. Including positioning flights on BA you'll end up with 640 tier points.

And if you're still reading at this point, have a look at the tier point run thread on here - more crazy gives more tier points.

Note: Qatar does not give tier bonuses on avios, so if you hold BA status, avios earnings on QR may not be that great.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:33 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by stuart101 View Post
Help please people.

i am looking at booking my next trip to Africa and need some help on the options, I have read everything I can find but am even more confused than whe; I started.

i usually book at WT+ ticket and use avios to upgrade to CW

i just wondered if I booked with CW with avios and cash, would I get more avios and tier points.

Thanks in in advance for your help
It is probably much cheaper to fly J with another airline than buy BA WT+ and upgrade with cash or even avios. What are your dates and where are you flying from/to? I can check it for you. And if it cheaper, then why you accumulate avios?
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Book cash lower cost with some avios = same earnings as cash

book avios, lower avios amount with more cash = earn zero

obviiusly costs in both cash and avios will be very different for the three models (third being paid wt+ upgrade with avios)
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS,
Originally Posted by johnspenceruk View Post
It is probably much cheaper to fly J with another airline than buy BA WT+ and upgrade with cash or even avios. What are your dates and where are you flying from/to? I can check it for you. And if it cheaper, then why you accumulate avios?

The problem is I am flying to Ghana. Not much choice of airline !
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:57 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by stuart101 View Post
The problem is I am flying to Ghana. Not much choice of airline !
OK, then you may truly have no choice, don't know much about that route.

I think in general if folks do a meta search on all possible airlines/routing for the destination, then more often than not it's just much more economical to fly the cheapest J rather than worry about renewing status with BA or accumulating tier points/avios.

The mathematics never added up for me.

It is like you have two hot dog vendors on a street, both sell the same hot-dog, one charges 4 the other 15. But the latter adds a freebie to each sale, say a chewing gum, and also gives them a "silver diploma" at the end of each year if they collect 20 chewing gums (gold for 50 ) And yet many folks chose the more expensive one.

The BA economics do not work for me anymore, despite what people say about 2-4-1 redemption and such. I now always first do an extensive meta search on all possible airlines/route options and it is very rare than buying J ticket with BA is better value.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: