Wiki Posts
Search

BA Avios booking cancelled by Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
BA Avios booking cancelled by Qantas

I booked economy avios reward bookings via BA for flights between Sydney and Brisbane at 9am and 10am on the morning I arrive from London on BA. In this way I hoped to cover the possibility of delay for limited cost. Qantas have since cancelled the 10am booking (no notification yet received from either QF or BA 5 days later).

If asked I would have preferred to keep the later booking. My reason for posting is to share that QF seem to remove multiple same day bookings and also to ask if anyone has any idea how log it will be before I receive a refund of the (small) amount of avios and cash?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I booked economy avios reward bookings via BA for flights between Sydney and Brisbane at 9am and 10am on the morning I arrive from London on BA. In this way I hoped to cover the possibility of delay for limited cost. Qantas have since cancelled the 10am booking (no notification yet received from either QF or BA 5 days later).

If asked I would have preferred to keep the later booking. My reason for posting is to share that QF seem to remove multiple same day bookings and also to ask if anyone has any idea how log it will be before I receive a refund of the (small) amount of avios and cash?
Did you manage to ask anyone at QF if they do this and why? Also may be worth asking BA if there was a reason QF did this?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BA silver
Had something similar with an ADL-BNE booking for Jan 2018 but was offered an immediate alternative via email, which in fact just changed the flight to a Qantaslink flight number arriving 5 minutes earlier. MMB shows ''flight cancelled'' in a big red box, but when I drill into it, it shows the new details. So check your email and MMB carefully.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
Had something similar with an ADL-BNE booking for Jan 2018 but was offered an immediate alternative via email, which in fact just changed the flight to a Qantaslink flight number arriving 5 minutes earlier. MMB shows ''flight cancelled'' in a big red box, but when I drill into it, it shows the new details. So check your email and MMB carefully.
I think your situation is different from what the OP is talking about.

The OP is talking about QF cancelling one of his bookings (he booked two flights on the same day, one at 9 am and another at 10 am) rather than a cancelled flight.

OP, I assume that the 10 am flight isn't actually cancelled?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Most airlines T&C forbid speculative bookings such as this and will automatically cancel additional reservations that seem to conflict with a reservation.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Most airlines T&C forbid speculative bookings such as this and will automatically cancel additional reservations that seem to conflict with a reservation.
Most airline forbid multiple unticketed reservations but take no action with ticketed ones. BA won't cancel a duplicate booking if it is ticketed. Many other airlines won't cancel either.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:26 am

I would have just have the later booking. Previously, Qantas have moved me onto an earlier flight (at no charge) from Sydney to Canberra on arrival at their domestic transfer centre (once you come out of International arrivals). Wouldn't expect this to happen every time, but it was certainly proactively offered to me.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I booked the 10 am flight originally and a day or so later the 9am. I haven’t had any email from either BA or QF just a notification from MyFlights. MMB on BA tells me to contact the operating airline and MMB on QF suggests I contact my travel agent!
The flight is operating and if I had been contacted I would have opted to stay with the 10am flight and consumed more barista coffee in the lounge.
I have now found a use for some orphan Virgin Australia miles for a later flight that I wouldn’t be using any other way.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Thanks for the replies. I booked the 10 am flight originally and a day or so later the 9am. I haven’t had any email from either BA or QF just a notification from MyFlights. MMB on BA tells me to contact the operating airline and MMB on QF suggests I contact my travel agent!
The flight is operating and if I had been contacted I would have opted to stay with the 10am flight and consumed more barista coffee in the lounge.
I have now found a use for some orphan Virgin Australia miles for a later flight that I wouldn’t be using any other way.
That seems to be consistent with Qantas' Duplicate Booking Policy, wherein the oldest booking is cancelled. The note in the PNR is also per policy.

https://www.qantas.com/agents_us/dyn.../policies/dupe
pomkiwi likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Just to reinforce a previous post about QF flexibility. I normally book a domestic QF flight Syd-Mel ideally about 2-4 hrs after the planned arrival of my international flight (subject to avios availability that is) and ask at QF domestic check in if a seat is available if I am in time to catch an earlier flight as often happens as normally HBO. So far if a seat has been available it has been allocated FOC (unlike BA). I have booked using the same ploy for Dec 23 flight; arrive Syd 0945 ish and have avios J at 1500 (as no preferred earlier avios reward flight to Mel was available). If no earlier seat is available on the day, then no real dramas, just transfer and hang around in the lounge a bit longer.

OF
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
With revenue domestic tickets, QF have become much more strict on same day change lately, unless you are booked on Flex in which case they are very flexible (but that's part of the booking condition anyway).

They would still agree to move you if it's more convenient for them to move you, but as a general rule, unless you booked a flex ticket, you often cannot change it on the day at all (even if you want to pay the change fee) unless you forfeit the fare and buy a new one.

Also bear in mind that QF (domestic transfer desk at the international terminal, at least) generally do not accept baggage check-in for domestic flights until 5 hours before the flight.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
They would still agree to move you if it's more convenient for them to move you, but as a general rule, unless you booked a flex ticket, you often cannot change it on the day at all (even if you want to pay the change fee) unless you forfeit the fare and buy a new one.
It does make life rather difficult if you need the flexibility and you're prepared to buy and pay for a number of tickets on different flights to achieved that, yet QF will unilaterally canx some of the dupes even though they're ticketed.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That seems to be consistent with Qantas' Duplicate Booking Policy, wherein the oldest booking is cancelled. The note in the PNR is also per policy.

https://www.qantas.com/agents_us/dyn.../policies/dupe
Thanks for that - very helpful. I assume that BA was considered the ‘agent’ in my case and messages were sent to them. Probably not surprising that nothing was forwarded to me. I will wait a few days and seek a refund via CS.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It does make life rather difficult if you need the flexibility and you're prepared to buy and pay for a number of tickets on different flights to achieved that, yet QF will unilaterally canx some of the dupes even though they're ticketed.
The solution is to book a flexible ticket and change as needed. Qantas is not the only airline to cancel duplicate/impossible bookings
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The solution is to book a flexible ticket and change as needed.
Reading that QF policy, if one only needs to book two tickets on the same day, it looks like it may work to book them in different cabins on a two-cabin aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.