Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name of 1990s entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Mats
I want to call it "Lumia,"Humira," or perhaps even "Lunesta," but I don't think those aren't quite right.
Some big pharma execs (and one at Nokia too) are very pleased with their marketing departments right now.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I remember flights to and from the US in the mud/late ‘70s with that IFE.

Very exciting!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting to watch the video ... late nineties??

I'm guessing that WT product & seats are still flying around now on the 772 YMM and 747 fleets, with the only change being AVOD for all and a "recovering" for some 747's.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by ianwall
Interesting to watch the video ... late nineties??
If that's late-90s, I've aged much more than I'm willing to accept... Those previous generation flight attendant uniforms look strikingly dated now. The availability of Uno in WT, on the other hand, is much missed. I remember great flights making new seat row friends playing endless games over the Atlantic when I was travelling alone in my teens!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by golfmad
Still available on some AAircraft!
I know ! Had one a couple of years back 767 to ORD - equipment change was originally a 772 (old style so personal looped, marginally better).
I remember the first time I set foot on a BA 747 in 1978 - drop down projector screens and stethoscopes, I'm definitely not nostalgic for them !
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How many of you remember when there used to be a film shown from a projector stuffed in the cabin ceiling? TWA ( scads ahead of BA in the seventies) used to have an "Adult" cabin on the 747 where they didn't put children and they showed more grown up entertainment. We used to hand out those ghastly stethescope type headsets.

What we called that wretched system back in the nineties is not repeatable here!
Yes - LHR >> LAX in the 70s many many times. Tbh while they hurt my ears after a while, I don't think they hurt any more than the current ones you get in CW (and hence I always use my own these days).

They were actual tubes right? Nothing electrical. If you put your ear to the little holes in the seat divide you could hear the tinny music coming out.

I actually had an Aerolineas flight MAD >> EZE really not all that long ago that still had the overhead screen. Frankly the scariest and I suspect worst maintained old hunk of junk I have flown in in my adult life. I imagine on one of its last flights as the fleet's all newer now I believe. Would have been around 2011 I think. Still, worth it to go to Patagonia, eat steak every day for over 2 weeks and still come home lighter. Love that country.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:50 am

And depending on seat, you needed binoculars to see the screen.

I remember getting one of the very first lap tops with a DVD player and spare battery total weighing in at a thumping 12kg (and a near weekly argument even tho overweight, checking it was a bad idea) - was I the envy of other fliers on planes without in-seat IFE
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just boarded a flight to Vegas. I know it’s an old 747 but the entertainment system is only offering video channels, 25 of them to be precise, including foreign films and subtitled films all on a loop....... you can’t start from the beginning and there is no guide to know what you’re watching.

Is this part of the nostalgic feel BA are bringing back?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by silonic
Just boarded a flight to Vegas. I know it’s an old 747 but the entertainment system is only offering video channels, 25 of them to be precise, including foreign films and subtitled films all on a loop....... you can’t start from the beginning and there is no guide to know what you’re watching.

Did you mention it to the crew?
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by ant1029
There's some clips of the old Omnia product towards the end of the video

"Whatever Next"- British Airways World Traveller Crew Familiarisation Video (Pt1 of 2) - YouTube
"Comfortable, even for long haul"

Maybe when they first came out.

Those seats were killing me, doing JFK-LHR last year in August...
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by silonic

IIRC the looping system was an old back-up to the first on-demand set-up ... others will know more
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Before the stethoscopes, we had to use ear horns!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The Imperial Airways gramophone was always useless during turbulence.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

On my first First in 2002 we got given a mini-cassette of the film we wanted. You had a fairly limited choice but I’ve forgotten how many were available. You slotted it into the player which was part of the seat.

I watched Cabaret starring Sally Bowles.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If we're being nostalgic, I can remember flying in First when there was a little video cassette player. It was a rather decent selection of films.

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.