IAG "circling Monarch assets"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
To what end?
To continue the staggering losses!

Greybull Capital is owed £150 million by Monarch; I guess they can say bye-bye to their plans to bid for Alitalia's ground operations now, too!
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
Norwegian? Really?? I thought they were on to something that only the low cost airlines had a talent for turning to their advantage.

Could BA not somehow keep the Monarch brand alive and use it to run services from regional UK airports, a bit like Lufthansa did with germanwings and Eurowings?
Levels of debt at Norwegian are much higher than most airlines. They may be profitable but expanding rapidly and if interest rates start heading up, or the pound weakens further, it could get tough for them.

Not sure about Monarch. I know what you are getting at (with regional routes) but I thought the issue was that overcapacity amongst Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2 and the various other regional operators had driven prices to an unsustainable level. Monarch is gone, FlyBe seem to be forever restructuring and so on.

What could BA bring to the table?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by irishguy28
To continue the staggering losses!

Greybull Capital is owed £150 million by Monarch; I guess they can say bye-bye to their plans to bid for Alitalia's ground operations now, too!
Odd company Greybull, recently brought the S....horpe (profanity checker at work, town near Humberside (HUY) airport, rhymes with Punthorpe) steelworks from Tata, so they have form in investing in industries with chronic overcapacity.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Who cares? ATOL for some, the rest is probably the taxpayer. What do you recommend? Leave them stranded aboard ?
Why, if I am not misinterpreting your comment, should 'the taxpayer' pick up this tab?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mradey
Why, if I am not misinterpreting your comment, should 'the taxpayer' pick up this tab?
I have seen this reported too and I was confused since I didn't think it should cost the taxpayer anything. It seems the government is paying for repatriation but will try and recover those costs from ATOL and card companies

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...made-redundant

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...narch-collapse
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
To what end?
Obviously, when Monarch ceased trading, they immediately lost their AOC. It would be financially untenable to somehow reactive that AOC just to keep Monarch flying, cheaper and easier just to start a new one. This is if I've understood everything correctly (if not, this is a great place to learn).

My comment was in the spirit of keeping variety in the skies and not becoming like the USA, with three big monopolies as bad as each other offering appalling service and high prices. Because the only way to keep prices low, even if they're realistically too low these days, is to have a choice and competition. We can clearly thank the LCCs for the low prices but I can assure you that the prices will go up with the same or worse service level if there is no competition. And there is no longer any legacy competition in the UK, there is no Star Alliance (BD), no Skyteam (AF op by WX) and no domestic VS flights. The choice is a LCC, or another LCC, or maybe another LCC. For flights from regional airports, i.e. flights from anywhere except London, BA doesn't seem to be interested despite having a few weekend CityFlyer flights from MAN or EDI or wherever.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Prescient…
Nope, DangerM55 could have tightened up the prediction by at least twelve hours.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
Odd company Greybull, recently brought the S....horpe (profanity checker at work, town near Humberside (HUY) airport, rhymes with Punthorpe) steelworks from Tata, so they have form in investing in industries with chronic overcapacity.
What a steaming pile of Greybull!

I just noticed on Aer Lingus' twitter feed that they are holding walk-in information sessions for Monarch pilots today at one of the Manchester airport hotels. No appointments necessary
Worcester likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Obviously, when Monarch ceased trading, they immediately lost their AOC. It would be financially untenable to somehow reactive that AOC just to keep Monarch flying, cheaper and easier just to start a new one. This is if I've understood everything correctly (if not, this is a great place to learn).

My comment was in the spirit of keeping variety in the skies and not becoming like the USA, with three big monopolies as bad as each other offering appalling service and high prices. Because the only way to keep prices low, even if they're realistically too low these days, is to have a choice and competition. We can clearly thank the LCCs for the low prices but I can assure you that the prices will go up with the same or worse service level if there is no competition. And there is no longer any legacy competition in the UK, there is no Star Alliance (BD), no Skyteam (AF op by WX) and no domestic VS flights. The choice is a LCC, or another LCC, or maybe another LCC. For flights from regional airports, i.e. flights from anywhere except London, BA doesn't seem to be interested despite having a few weekend CityFlyer flights from MAN or EDI or wherever.
I don’t really see why BA adding an extra brand and maintaining capacity will help BA.

I agree that choice is good but I don’t see BA investing in it as a distinct brand.

Last edited by Calchas; Oct 3, 2017 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

British Steel made a £50m profit this year (as of June) and is increasing its headcount.

There is still a pension scheme issue but confusingly that still seems to be owned by Tata Steel.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Did you mean Sʗunthorpe?
T8191 and Worcester like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
KMPG to auction the slots. IAG mentioned as a possible bidder alongside U2 & LS. Greybull is apparently a preferred creditor which will surely stick in the throats of the former Monarch employees.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a3649376.html
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I just noticed on Aer Lingus' twitter feed that they are holding walk-in information sessions for Monarch pilots today at one of the Manchester airport hotels. No appointments necessary
EasyJet are holding open days all week at Luton and Tui are reaching out too. There seems to be a lot of positive support from airlines and the wider business community and Monarch have people facilitating this as well.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
British Steel made a £50m profit this year (as of June) and is increasing its headcount.

There is still a pension scheme issue but confusingly that still seems to be owned by Tata Steel.
Interesting, long may that continue. Given the capacity issues of global Steel supply, it was a counter-intuitive bet, but I suppose the weak £ has helped.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:00 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
EasyJet are holding open days all week at Luton and Tui are reaching out too. There seems to be a lot of positive support from airlines and the wider business community and Monarch have people facilitating this as well.
Virgin Atlantic is doing the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.