Infant Buggy and connecting Flight

Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Infant Buggy and connecting Flight

Just a quick question really but can't seem to find something similar being asked. Our flight is MAN-LHR-SJC

We know we can take the buggy to the gate at MAN, but this is where I'm confused for a connecting flight, when we check in, do we ask for the tag to go to LHR or SJC, then at LHR would we need to get another tag for it if it's just to LHR? If we do get the buggy back at LHR, how will we get it back etc, do we wait at the plane or collect it from the belt, does this mean we have to check it in again if we collect from the belt? Same then at SJC or any other airport really for connecting flights, we love being off the plane and through immigration as quick as possible in USA so waiting doesn't really appeal.

We're in LHR for 3hours so obviously need something for him in that time (will be 20 months old when we fly). Flying in First if that alters the question at all too.

Thanks in advance for advice
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Ideally you would want to collect it just after you exit the aircraft before you enter the terminal. Our recent experience of this was somewhat hit and miss. We even had to borrow a buggy as the lift was not working and they refused to bring it up the stairs and already sent it in. We had around 6 hours for our connection at LHR.

When it works you simply gate check it as you board you next flight. You then leave it further down the walkway for the ground crew to put onboard.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
If they sent it in, did that mean you had to go and collect it from the baggage reclaim or did that mean it ended up going all the way to your destination?

Who do you actually tell that you want it back at the gate?

This is all new to us
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
We use a compact buggy when flying, and take it on board. Never had a problem doing this on dozens of flights, and guarantees you have it with you - which has been invaluable on tighter connections.

(It's a Petite Star Zia and comes with a bag to put over your shoulder)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
If you have a large orange “gate check” tag affixed to it, it will come out at gate. I would check it through like luggage, decline the orange tag, leave it at gate in MAN, and pick it up on luggage belt in SJC. Just check the baggga tag that it is checked through
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by stevemack
If they sent it in, did that mean you had to go and collect it from the baggage reclaim or did that mean it ended up going all the way to your destination?

Who do you actually tell that you want it back at the gate?

This is all new to us
Meant to say 'on' not 'in'

We we're not the only ones and tried to get it back but they said they couldn't do this. As we were travelling in F on the connecting flight we went out and back in through the F wing as thought the staff there would have more clout to deal with the issue than those at the gate. They weee certainly more sympathetic and were able to find one for us to borrow and even brought it to the CCR.

Be prepared for them not to return the buggy at the gate even when it has the lovely big tag on it. Some airports don't do this, MAN included.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Having seen the Babyzen YoYo recommended here before, I actually saw one on an airport security belt the other day and was surprised by how small it was when folded up; well below the maximum carryon item size. I didn't even recognise it as a folded baby buggy until I looked closely. So, while I don't have children, it looked to me like it would be ideal for airport use if I did.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
In this case I would get a buggy that folds up to carryon size or smaller. There is no need to be carting something like a mountain buggy through an airport.

We had a Quinny Zapp in the old days, which folded up and had a shoulder bag with it. It always went on board as hubbys hand luggage and fitted comfortably into the overheads.

Mind you, both of mine had given up on it long before they hit 20 months, walking everywhere was way too much fun.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Another vote for the Babyzen Yoyo
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC blue, CX Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Le Club Accor Plat
and another. Babyzen yo-yo as both infant nest and toddler set up has made life incredibly simple for us, especially as nearly every flight we take has a GLA connection. Is a dream just walking off and unfolding it without hanging around or having to get as far as baggage reclaim. Our only issue will be come January that they dont have a double version!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by speccy
and another. Babyzen yo-yo as both infant nest and toddler set up has made life incredibly simple for us, especially as nearly every flight we take has a GLA connection. Is a dream just walking off and unfolding it without hanging around or having to get as far as baggage reclaim. Our only issue will be come January that they dont have a double version!
Go for one each,
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Go for one each,
Exactly what I was going to suggest, perhaps with some strong velcro straps to keep together. I don't think there is a double pushchair on the market that fits into hand luggage.

On my recent trip, the BabyZen was spotted several times.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Or buy an infant carrier for getting through the airport and book a CCR cabana so you have somewhere for him to sleep. We have a Littlelife Ranger which is technically too tall for the cabin but no airline has ever given it a second glance (20 months is probably to big for a squashable front-carrier).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:23 am

GB Pockit Stroller and Mothercare XSS are a bit better for travelling with, but don't have space for storage or rain cover.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:41 am

We have used a babyzen yoyo+ for allactionbaby for travelling since she was 3 months old. It is great to be able to take it on board and have never had a problem (apart from in China they insisted on us using th bag which I had forgotten). It is particularly beneficial in airports like Gatwick where you dont get the buggy back until baggage reclaim, especially when there are long immigration queues

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.