Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Got G-TTOE on one of my recent flights and got to try the WiFi. It was short segment from London to Hamburg, so around 50 minutes in the air. Prices were £1.99 for messaging or £6.99 for streaming - easy to pay via my account (I was already registered). Speed was 620kbps on the streaming package - enough to watch YouTube, but not enough for Netflix.

On my two recent BA11s (London - Singapore, so 12h in the air) internet was priced at £14.99 for full flight messaging or £24.99 streaming. On the first flight internet got reset a number of times requiring me to pay again. I've asked for refund of additional charges and got refunded all of them. On the second flight internet stopped working a couple of hours into the flight. Speed was decent though: 6mbps on the steaming packagepackage.

​​​​​

​​​​
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
Got G-TTOE on one of my recent flights and got to try the WiFi. It was short segment from London to Hamburg, so around 50 minutes in the air. Prices were £1.99 for messaging or £6.99 for streaming - easy to pay via my account (I was already registered). Speed was 620kbps on the streaming package - enough to watch YouTube, but not enough for Netflix.

​​​​​​​​
Thanks for this. I was wondering how they'd do pricing for the shorthaul flights. I'll update the main wiki with this info but one question remains - does anyone know if these prices are for all shorthaul flights or are they time limited meaning the longer shorthaul flights(!) may have another priceband?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Schind
Thanks for this. I was wondering how they'd do pricing for the shorthaul flights. I'll update the main wiki with this info but one question remains - does anyone know if these prices are for all shorthaul flights or are they time limited meaning the longer shorthaul flights(!) may have another priceband?
Once I paid it said remaining time shown was 4h, on BA11 it was 24h.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
Once I paid it said remaining time shown was 4h, on BA11 it was 24h.
Excellent. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:12 am

I've just seen a screen shot of BA's shorthaul wifi on Twitter. It mentions the pricing is by route. The prices shown were £1.99 and £7.99. This was on the Lisbon route.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by timma1971
There’s a very handy feature in Windows 10 called Mobile Hotspot, which basically allows you to share your laptop internet connection with max eight other devices, like your phone or pad, by converting your laptop into a WiFi access point. I’ve been using this feature on AY and it works perfectly. Does BA have any policy regarding sharing your WiFi connection? How would crew react if they find unauthorized WiFi networks on-board? I’ve been sharing the connection only to my private devices so far but there’s no reason why you couldn’t share it with your family on board or even fellow passengers (perhaps for a nominal fee… ).
I used the BA WiFi on my LHR-IAD flight on Sunday, accessing it through my iPhone: the Mobile Hotspot option on my device (which I use regularly) was grayed out so they must have a means of blocking it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by aristoph

I used the BA WiFi on my LHR-IAD flight on Sunday, accessing it through my iPhone: the Mobile Hotspot option on my device (which I use regularly) was grayed out so they must have a means of blocking it.
iPhones cant share a WiFi connection - only Windows 10 and Android.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:09 am

The first 787 with wifi, ZBKI, has just left Cardiff for LHR. It's due to fly to Kuala Lumpur this evening as BA33 although it's pushing it a bit fine.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Schind
The first 787 with wifi, ZBKI, has just left Cardiff for LHR. It's due to fly to Kuala Lumpur this evening as BA33 although it's pushing it a bit fine.
She just landed and they pushed BA33 back 30 minutes, so it should all work out OK.

rb211.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:45 pm

Would using a wifi connection device like Hootoo work with the BA wifi system . I have used it when flying American Airline before ? Or would using the Hootoo reduce the down speed i have used it sometime and the speed is reduced. I wouldn't want to reduce it so much it wouldn't work .

Can you log in with one device like my iPhone then log out of that and log into my iPad ? i know you can't have two devices running at once?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Martyn c
Would using a wifi connection device like Hootoo work with the BA wifi system . I have used it when flying American Airline before ? Or would using the Hootoo reduce the down speed i have used it sometime and the speed is reduced. I wouldn't want to reduce it so much it wouldn't work .

Can you log in with one device like my iPhone then log out of that and log into my iPad ? i know you can't have two devices running at once?

Thanks
Don't know about the Hootoo, not sure how that works and wouldn't want to look like an idiot by committing myself one way or the other (not that it would be the first time!) One needs a browser to pay and establish the session, so if the Hootoo provides a way to do that on a WiFi connection, and then hand out other sub-sessions to other clients, in principle, it could work!

The session is per-device (or more accurately, per MAC address and probably some other device relevant piece(s) of information) so unless one can do some serious spoofing, one cannot switch from one device to another with the same paid session, even if only one device is active at a time.

rb211.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe the note in the Wiki suggesting that Scandinavian routes will not have service until 2020 is a misinterpretation of that ATW story. The story highlights a goal of adding ATG towers in the North Sea to improve performance and capacity, but the system is designed to work with both satellite and ATG networks and should revert to the satellite connection during the periods it is out of range of a ground station.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I am currently on QR572, and WiFi is infinitely better than anything I have ever had in the BA rollout (7 US/CA Flights in last 12 months). Browsing is both faster and more stable.

On my last BA (SEA to LHR about a week ago I was getting 7mbps but it was very erratic. On this flight I’m getting 1mbps but it’s stable. Maybe BA are pushing it too hard?

Do the experts here know if QR are using different technology to BA? I know it’s all satellite, and we are currently over water, but I never expected such a dramatic difference.

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky on the BA flights?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Yes
Wifi on Qatar seems to be a bit of a mishmash - you are on A7-BET, which is less than a year old, and it seems to have Wifi by Global Xpress. BA use GoGo 2Ku for transatlantic Wifi.

I was on a Qatar A380 recently and internet was reaaally low, bordering on unusable. I believe the A350 was the same. That seems to have been OnAir.

As all of the transatlantic flights are satellite based, I think the regional capacity can make quite a bit of difference too. Technically, Gogo 2Ku seems to be quite capable, but it sounds like there might be satellite capacity problems in certain locations. Not sure how true that is for the other platforms.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Many thanks, very useful. Dare I ask how you know which providers they are using, besides a tracert from onboard?

i was on a a350 this morning (qr32) but didn’t try the WiFi. Maybe I should, on the return next weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.