Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SKRan
I checked Flightradar24 for the JFK flight and it’s always one without WiFi.
You would be correct that on that particular service you are currently less likely to get Wifi but for example G-VIIA has run that service in the last few days, so it's not "always" and it's not "LGW".
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by flyer200
I can’t search the thread on mobile (what’s up with the awful mobile skin on FT?)

anyways. On ba15 to SYD with stop off in SIN. Full flight means only to SIN. Which is a bit mean I think.
wifi stopped working half way through 12 hour flight.

Not happy. Will ask for refund
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I can’t search the thread on mobile (what’s up with the awful mobile skin on FT?)

anyways. On ba15 to SYD with stop off in SIN. Full flight means only to SIN. Which is a bit mean I think.
That wasn't the case when I did it in October - post upthread somewhere (link) but bought full flight at Heathrow and it worked all the way to SYD. Screen showed something like 24 hours time remaining after purchase. Be interesting to know if policy has changed or whether this was a 1-time issue?

Last edited by ant_west; Mar 2, 2019 at 4:52 am Reason: link added to earlier post
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Um, no, you are more likely to have longhaul Wifi at LGW than LHR. I'm trying to think of a 777 at LGW that has not got wifi.
There are 4 777’s at LGW which have not been fitted with WiFi are: G-VIIO, G-VIIP, G-VIIR and G-VIIT. 3 of the aircraft are to be fitted have the system fitted and activated by the end of May.

G-VIIO - Is the next aircraft to be fitted with the system in CWL and it will be flown there early tomorrow afternoon.

G-VIIP - Will be flown to CWL in about 2 weeks time and is expected to return to service about the 8th April

G-VIIR - Will be fitted once G-VIIP returns to service and is expected to be back in service with WIFI enabled at the end of April

G-VIIT - Will be the last LGW based aircraft to be fitted, unfortunately this is not expected to take place until the end of October.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:33 am

Shorthaul WiFi was switched on for customer use today on TTNC, TTOE and GATK.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Where does the WiFi 'come from' on the A320s? I haven't seen the usual hump on the top of the fuselage.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Yes
https://www.inmarsat.com/wp-content/...ionNetwork.pdf has pictures and diagrams of the various antennas. As it is a partially ground based system, the satellite antenna is only one of several and doesn't seem to look like the "long-haul" antennas, it's more elongated. That document is from 2016 so I'm not sure how accurate it is regarding BA planes - I believe there were some pictures floating about, but I can't recall where.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ant_west
That wasn't the case when I did it in October - post upthread somewhere (link) but bought full flight at Heathrow and it worked all the way to SYD. Screen showed something like 24 hours time remaining after purchase. Be interesting to know if policy has changed or whether this was a 1-time issue?
I don't know.

They refunded me the 14.99

I will check on Friday on way back and report back
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There’s a very handy feature in Windows 10 called Mobile Hotspot, which basically allows you to share your laptop internet connection with max eight other devices, like your phone or pad, by converting your laptop into a WiFi access point. I’ve been using this feature on AY and it works perfectly. Does BA have any policy regarding sharing your WiFi connection? How would crew react if they find unauthorized WiFi networks on-board? I’ve been sharing the connection only to my private devices so far but there’s no reason why you couldn’t share it with your family on board or even fellow passengers (perhaps for a nominal fee… ).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:19 am

I don't know.

They refunded me the 14.99

I will check on Friday on way back and report back
Bought SYD-LHR 14.99

worked until SIN then stopped

Bought 14.99 onboard SIN-LHR

Stopped working after 2 hours.

Will ask for refund
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:32 am

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but is WiFi complementary for F passengers?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MH1981
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but is WiFi complementary for F passengers?
No, everyone has to pay.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, everyone has to pay.
Thought as much. Thanks for the quick response.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:54 am

Purely by chance, the other day, I was on two of the short-haul aircraft that have WiFi.

I'm not sure if there have been any reports so far.

I didn't purchase the WiFi but I did use the free access to BA.com. What's really good is that you can also use the BA app.

It occasionally disconnected - I didn't use it that much, so hard to say. On the second flight, I heard two people who had purchased WiFi talking to the cabin crew saying that it had stopped working for some of the flight.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:25 am

I was on BA 286 (SFO-LHR) the other day and the plane had Wifi. I tried on and off for the first couple of hours to get on, but always failed to perform credit card verification. Gave up and tried again about one and a half hours from landing and it finally worked. So instead of getting the price for a full flight out of me, they only managed the price for one hour. Not sure I got any more sleep though.

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.