Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Schind
No - it's not as good as it gets. There are a few reviews online. One reviewer was able to stream Youtube and Netflix on the browse package:-

"I experienced a stable and snappy connection under the Browse plan for the remainder of the flight.
I had no trouble browsing and tweeting, and surprisingly I was still able to stream to a degree. Netflix and YouTube seemed to work without issue on this plan, potentially negating the need to buy up to the Stream plan."

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...ns-advantages/
Hi, that's my article. It is weird, but that was my experience. I flew again a few weeks later and used only the Browse plan and had no issues at all doing "browsy" things. This stuff is pretty hit or miss, but the throttled speeds of the browse plan are high enough to allow for low resolution streaming.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99

I also discovered that Whatsapp calling works on my tethered phone (amazing really given how poor the wifi is), but I made the mistake of trying this out up in the front galley where the Captain was out for a break, and he told me that BA does not allow phoning on board - although he was unable to identify the source of this rule (CAA, BA, or other). In any event, it was all very amiable and he was as surprised as I was, that I had managed to get it working. Perhaps, on balance, not such a good thing that it does unless the rule (which the cabin crew appeared to know nothing about) is strictly enforced when people are seated ....
I have heard this announced before take off on flights with Wi-Fi, so can only assume it is a solid rule from somewhere.
I can only hope it is extremely strictly enforced, as aircraft are about the only place left on Earth where I can escape people using their phones.
Otherwise the entire DYKWIA thread will be brimming with "but I'm on an important business call" stories.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by yankees368
Hi, that's my article. It is weird, but that was my experience. I flew again a few weeks later and used only the Browse plan and had no issues at all doing "browsy" things. This stuff is pretty hit or miss, but the throttled speeds of the browse plan are high enough to allow for low resolution streaming.
Perhaps I should have updated the thread with my own later experience on Monday. Speeds got better (I did not actually check the precise speed again) but rather patchy in some areas. I was on the basic e-mail package but got a reasonable connection to Sky News, on which I was able to watch part of the Brexit debate in the HoC live and without interruptions. Overall moderately impressed, but still some way to go to justify charging 50% more for 8 hrs slow connection, than I pay for a month's fast broadband at home !.

Also, there was no announcement that the service was operative and I only knew to check thanks to this thread. Presumably once there is a mass take up, the service will really suffer.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Getting 5.6 down 2.5 up on the streaming service.

Sadly going offline now as my power socket is not working and so I can't power my laptop. So a waste of my payment Oh well.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by estate
The last update said G-CIVH was being fitted in CWL. I see it's back flying now - does this mean it's fitted? If so, only 3 super-hi-J 747s to go.
Thundered past me earlier off 27R sporting the Wifi antenna as BA115 to JFK, I make it only G-CIVF/G of the 18 86J aircraft that don't have connectivity.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Coming live from G-VIID over Kilkenny

Its a very good “browse” connection so far. I felt streaming packages are bit expensive!

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Thundered past me earlier off 27R sporting the Wifi antenna as BA115 to JFK, I make it only G-CIVF/G of the 18 86J aircraft that don't have connectivity.
CIVG won't be getting it as it's being retired next year (subject to the ever changing whims of whoever decides these things). BA have changed their wi-fi page in the last couple of days - it used to list the aircraft that had been done and there were only 17 747s due to be fitted in total. CIVF is in Cardiff now so, when that comes back, that's yer lot for this type. Now, when are the 787s starting?????
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:22 am

As the spreadsheet linked to in the main post hasn't been updated since October I've done some maths.
This is the state of the LH aircraft as of 1st Jan 2019.

A318 - 0 fitted out of 1 (I know this is a special case)
A380 - 4 out of 12 (33.33%)
B747 - 17 out of 35 (48.57%). I've included CIVF as fitted. It should be returning from CWL any day now. I believe all the 747s that are due to get wifi now have it.
B777-200 - 0 out of 3. Probably won't be getting it due to retirement in 2020.
B777-200ER - 34 out of 43 (79.07%)
B777-300ER - 7 out of 12 (58.30%)
B787-8 - 0 out of 12
B787-9 - 0 out of 18

Total - 62 out of 136 (45.59%)

The remaining 777s that aren't being retired should be done this year, hopefully the 787s will start coming online in 2019 and the A350s due for delivery should(!) be factory fitted.

As for short/medium haul - **shrugs**
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:30 am

Heard last week that there 10 aircraft ( x A319, 1 x A321 and 8 x A320’s) already flying with there WIFI system activated for a few weeks now to allow BA and immersat to carry out final system testing. A official launch date is yet to be announced, however it is rumoured by the end of January.
Prospero likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Schind
It was updated a month or so ago. XLEI came out of maintenance on October 20th so it's definitely been updated since then. It doesn't look like any 787s have been fitted yet.
As an aside - XLEA is in Manila maintenance now. It should be returning very soon so will be the next A380 on the list.
WiFi on G-XLEA confirmed
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Today’s flight on G-VIIB LHR to YYZ - no WiFi.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Today’s flight on G-VIIB LHR to YYZ - no WiFi.
Was there no signal offered at all? Or was the signal there and it didn't connect?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Nothing was mentioned by the crew and no networks showed up for the whole flight - apart from "Sarah's iPhone" for the first half an hour

I had to watch films and drink wine instead of working.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I had to watch films and drink wine instead of working.
Tragic.

But for the Wifi I can't offer an explanation for that, it is supposed to come on at 10,000 feet automatically - the crew don't need to do anything - and even if you were over that bit of Greenland where the connectivity drops, the beacon is still active. Generally the crew don't mention wifi for some reason. I remember giving one CSM the shock of her life when showing her live BBC news of an aviation incident.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wondered why WiFi wasn’t mentioned on a recent JFK flight. Had it not been for FT I would have never known. There wasn’t mention anywhere. Is there a reason for the lack of mention? I don’t particularly mind, as a crowded WiFi network is never enjoyable but I thought BA would want to capitalise on the revenue from the WiFi packages by announcing it.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.