Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

G-VIIU has went back to Gatwick from Shannon today after around 12 days in Shannon, anyone know if this aircraft has maybe gotten WIFI fitted and been repainted during its time on the ground?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Shannon is wifi fitting mainly, paint is Dublin.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:15 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Schind
It's been mentioned on here and elsewhere that the 787 installations are starting in September. The BA Source mentions that ZBJC went to Cardiff today for maintenance. I wonder if this is the first.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us.../wifi-on-board doesn't list any 787 Dreamliners has having wifi. Is this correct or are BA being slow to update the web page?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by NFH
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us.../wifi-on-board doesn't list any 787 Dreamliners has having wifi. Is this correct or are BA being slow to update the web page?
It was updated a month or so ago. XLEI came out of maintenance on October 20th so it's definitely been updated since then. It doesn't look like any 787s have been fitted yet.
As an aside - XLEA is in Manila maintenance now. It should be returning very soon so will be the next A380 on the list.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NFH
It is irksome that some unrefitted LGW 777s have wifi and yet this hasn't happened to 787s. I know the intention is for them to have wifi, but for some reason they are at the end of the list. I've checked all the 787s I've been on recently and it's not some listing error, none of them have it. One reason for that, perhaps, is that with the Trent engine issue, the remaining 787s are running so intensely that there simply isn't a convenient slot for it.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I imagine that 787s may have a delay on them as retrofitting parts to the skin of a carbon fibre aircraft may be slightly more painful than fitting to a metal airframe...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is irksome that some unrefitted LGW 777s have wifi and yet this hasn't happened to 787s. I know the intention is for them to have wifi, but for some reason they are at the end of the list. I've checked all the 787s I've been on recently and it's not some listing error, none of them have it. One reason for that, perhaps, is that with the Trent engine issue, the remaining 787s are running so intensely that there simply isn't a convenient slot for it.
I think there's something more to it than this - the new ones being delivered aren't fitted either and line-fitting at the factory should have been happening for a while now on the 787s.
Just like Inmarsat/DT and the EAN, Gogo rarely give straight answers when questioned about this sort of thing.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
We are flying BA0196 from IAH (houston) to LHR today Dec 15 at 9.25pm and BA0257 from LHR to DEL ( Delhi, India) Sunday Dec 16. Is there a way to find out which aircraft we will be flying and whether it will have onboard wi-fi? thanks
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by billu777
We are flying BA0196 from IAH (houston) to LHR today Dec 15 at 9.25pm and BA0257 from LHR to DEL ( Delhi, India) Sunday Dec 16. Is there a way to find out which aircraft we will be flying and whether it will have onboard wi-fi? thanks
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum billu, I hope you have a good set of flights. These are 777 sectors so you may be OK but I can't see the aircraft allocated to these services yet. The LHR-IAH sector departs at 15:00 GMT and that will be updated here about 5 minutes after take off
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba197
however I'll be playing rugby then so I won't be able to clarify further. I would nevertheless use the advice upthread and pre-register your email using the links provided, I would hope that one of these services will be wifi enabled, probably the DEL service would be better for you.

I hope you have a good trip and that we wil hear more from you in the future.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by billu777
And to follow up on my previous reply, you appear to be on G-YMML for Houston to London tonight, which has Wifi. I have no idea about the Delhi flight though.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I am on G-VIIW about half an hour out of LGW heading westwards. Download speed for the normal browsing package is 0.12Mbs (according to Ookla). Is that as good as it gets ?? Service on VS over the Atlantic recently was far far superior.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I flew on QR on Friday, and what is supposedly a better wifi system than BAs, and I gave up after 20 minutes, it was terrible. So 0.12 might be your lot...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
The last update said G-CIVH was being fitted in CWL. I see it's back flying now - does this mean it's fitted? If so, only 3 super-hi-J 747s to go.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I am not sure whether this has been covered (I think it was discussed at one point), but I have had no problem tethering my phone to my laptop and using both through the laptop connection.

I also discovered that Whatsapp calling works on my tethered phone (amazing really given how poor the wifi is), but I made the mistake of trying this out up in the front galley where the Captain was out for a break, and he told me that BA does not allow phoning on board - although he was unable to identify the source of this rule (CAA, BA, or other). In any event, it was all very amiable and he was as surprised as I was, that I had managed to get it working. Perhaps, on balance, not such a good thing that it does unless the rule (which the cabin crew appeared to know nothing about) is strictly enforced when people are seated ....

I now need to see whether I can pick the Captain up on the ATC radio website, as I managed previously on a VS flight; or is that too sadly nerdy / geeky ??
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I am on G-VIIW about half an hour out of LGW heading westwards. Download speed for the normal browsing package is 0.12Mbs (according to Ookla). Is that as good as it gets ?? Service on VS over the Atlantic recently was far far superior.
No - it's not as good as it gets. There are a few reviews online. One reviewer was able to stream Youtube and Netflix on the browse package:-

"I experienced a stable and snappy connection under the Browse plan for the remainder of the flight.
I had no trouble browsing and tweeting, and surprisingly I was still able to stream to a degree. Netflix and YouTube seemed to work without issue on this plan, potentially negating the need to buy up to the Stream plan."

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...ns-advantages/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.