Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ant_west
To answer my own post - pricing for BA15/16 is for the whole flight (ie both sectors) so if you buy on the flight LHR-SIN it is valid through to arrival in SYD. I bought the 'fast' option for the flight and found it very sporadic - it was ok to be able to download/send emails mostly in the background but I don't think you could stream video over it!
I've been streaming videos on my current flight without incident, apart from the known blank spot between mid Greenland and north Hudson Bay.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm currently on BA182 JFK-LHR G-YMMK. WIFI is working just fine!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I flew back form BOS yesterday on VIIH and the wifi was excellent, reliable and fairly fast. The one thing that does annoy me about the service is the inability to swap devices, something that is available on AA. I usually spend only a portion of the flight working on my laptop and so it would be nice to be able to use my laptop some of the time, my phone/ipad the other times. On AA you can only use a single device at once but you can sign out of one and log into another.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Joely
I flew back form BOS yesterday on VIIH and the wifi was excellent, reliable and fairly fast. The one thing that does annoy me about the service is the inability to swap devices, something that is available on AA. I usually spend only a portion of the flight working on my laptop and so it would be nice to be able to use my laptop some of the time, my phone/ipad the other times. On AA you can only use a single device at once but you can sign out of one and log into another.
My approach is always to sign on with my phone and then do either USB or Bluetooth network sharing to laptop and tablet.

(And just found out quite a few new phones have wifi repeater capability...)
Tobias-UK and argonath like this.

Last edited by gnomeza; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:47 am Reason: more info
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA EC Peasant, AAdvantage Platinum
There's a list of enabled planes on the BA website now.... seems a lot longer than that on the wiki.
Has something changed recently?

​​​​​​https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/entertainment/wifi-on-board
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well spotted, the list currently showing is
.Wi-Fi enabled aircraft

Show all Hide all
Aircraft type: 747-400
Registration
G-BYGA
G-BYGB
G-BYGC
G-BYGD
G-BYGE
G-BYGF
G-BYGG
G-CIVR
G-CIVS
G-CIVV
G-CIVW
G-CIVX
G-CIVY
G-CIVZ
Aircraft type: 777-200
Registration
G-RAES
G-VIIA
G-VIIC
G-VIID
G-VIIE
G-VIIF
G-VIIG
G-VIIH
G-VIIJ
G-VIIL
G-VIIM
G-VIIS
G-VIIY
G-YMMB
G-YMMD
G-YMME
G-YMMF
G-YMMJ
G-YMMK
G-YMML
G-YMMN
G-YMMO
G-YMMP
G-YMMS
G-YMMT
G-YMMU
Aircraft type: 777-300
Registration
G-STBA
G-STBB
G-STBD
G-STBE
G-STBG
G-STBL
Aircraft type: A380
Registration
G-XLEG
G-XLEH
It may be worth holding off changing the wiki, until we get some clarity for the differences.

The URL I used is slightly different:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by blaknail
There's a list of enabled planes on the BA website now.... seems a lot longer than that on the wiki.
Has something changed recently?

​​​​​​https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board
I think it's the way the wiki is written now. There are only a couple of differences but, for instance, the wiki says BYGA-G instead of listing each aircraft separately.

I've asked elsewhere on the forum but there's a chance BA have done all the 747s that are going to get fitted. Globaliser has a post on the 747 retirements that has a neat cut off line for wifi enabled planes based on flight hours. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27571616-post1689.html
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
I am on BA0007 G-STBE. I purchased the basic service for the duration of the flight - it was just bearable (approx 1 MB down) until it was completely unavailable for 3 hours. It then came back and after a few minutes it kicked me out for good. I had to purchase 1 hour of "high speed" (again 1-2 MB so not worth it) and requested a refund for the first purchase. Not sure why it was much slower than what other members have experienced so far. Perhaps satellite coverage is not great across Russia/Asia?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Schind
I think it's the way the wiki is written now. There are only a couple of differences but, for instance, the wiki says BYGA-G instead of listing each aircraft separately.

I've asked elsewhere on the forum but there's a chance BA have done all the 747s that are going to get fitted. Globaliser has a post on the 747 retirements that has a neat cut off line for wifi enabled planes based on flight hours. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27571616-post1689.html
So they're going to leave G-CIVF-I as hi-J "bogey planes" flying the most premium routes with no WiFi until 2021?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Yannisb
Perhaps satellite coverage is not great across Russia/Asia?
We could probably do with some data points on this. This is the Gogo2Ku coverage map, from their website:

Having done a few tests on this - the BA Shop website indicates when the wifi signal is lost, I've found that while reception to East Coast USA/Canada is maintained, there are blank spots over Greenland and Northern Canada - which affects services to/from the West Coast USA/Canada. From what I can make out, if you are at the top of the blue area, the signal isn't strong enough to be viable and the aircraft needs to move some way inside the blue box. So on my recent LGW-OAK service the service was knocked out from mid Greenland until we dropped down to 66° N in Nunavut. Roughly half way between Gjoa Haven and Baker Lake.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:46 pm

Not 1000% on my geography but that seems like a pretty huge blank spot in what I assume is Afghanistan and perhaps parts of Pakistan? This is a political reason for lack of coverage I assume rather than geographical?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:52 pm

Otherwise known as Iran. So there are technology sanctions in place there.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:56 pm

Ah okay. That would make sense. I guess Iran is bigger than the WiFi black spot but the edges get in from coverage elsewhere?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Lack of satellites allowed in the area I suppose? Totally guessing. Absolutely no insight to offer
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Originally Posted by Schind
So they're going to leave G-CIVF-I as hi-J "bogey planes" flying the most premium routes with no WiFi until 2021?
I think we will have to wait and see. For example, do we actually know one way or the other whether G-CIVO has had wifi fitted during the recent refresh work? It would have been an opportunity to do it, but my suspicion is that at present we simply don't know one way or the other whether it's been done. As the aircraft's first sortie is for Dreamflight (currently under way), I suspect that many of the passengers currently have other things on their minds than to post the aircraft's wifi status on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.