Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:12 am

G-XLEH has come back from MNL with WiFi installed.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:52 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Anyone successfully get a refund? Tried it out on BA285 last week (Basic plan) and it was as close to unusable as you could get. Simple text emails timed out for the bulk of the flight. iMessage never went through or went through hours later. You couldn't even load a basic website. I get that the North Atlantic has dead spots, but this was really bad. I emailed them and are waiting for a response, but wasn't sure what experiences others have had.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Had a similar experience coming back from JNB last week. A bit disappointing. I have another 86J 747 flight on Saturday, so will hopefully have wifi and have a better experience.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Does Nyone know if LHR to Washington DC has got WiFi? Just back from SFO and very disappointed to find BA didn't have WiFi on this long flight. Crikey other airlines have had long haul WiFi for years and years now.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s not route dependant but aircraft - you’ll know maybe a few hours before you board only
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Does Nyone know if LHR to Washington DC has got WiFi?
As you probably know, in normal circumstances specific aircraft are not assigned to specific routes (with the exception of G-EUNA for BA1 and BA2). So as you board your aircraft, look at the registration of the aircraft and see if you can find it in the list in the wikipost of this thread.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Now that is a very good question. It should be, but I expect not.
it is free, you can check your booking etc without paying for wi-fi (basic flight stats information also available for free)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold Elite, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gwade
Anyone successfully get a refund? Tried it out on BA285 last week (Basic plan) and it was as close to unusable as you could get. Simple text emails timed out for the bulk of the flight. iMessage never went through or went through hours later. You couldn't even load a basic website. I get that the North Atlantic has dead spots, but this was really bad. I emailed them and are waiting for a response, but wasn't sure what experiences others have had.
I had some issues last week on BA2279 LGW->OAK and emailed [email protected] . They got back to me about 4 hours later confirming they would refund the sessions, which appeared back to my card within 2 days. Due to my Amex transaction notifications to my phone I was able to be very specific on times starting the sessions and provided both my .air account details and my BAEC number.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:45 am

I flew on BA285 yesterday on G-CIVX. The payment processing system for wifi was broken the entire flight. I could connect to the network, login to OnAir, select a plan and enter my card details (or select my existing saved card), but got an error message saying the payment platform wasn't responding at the next step. That was a little disappointing, but bugs happen I guess.

Also lost signal between Iceland and northern Canada, but I imagine that's due to the satellite orbits and can't be avoided. However, given the very healthy percentage of BA long-haul routes either east or westbound that would track across or close to the poles, the idea of marketing one wifi plan as "full flight" is a bit misleading!
Strattonflyer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

G-BYGF - Returned from CWL 16th September and has had WIFI installed
G-YMMB - Returned from SNN 21st September having undergone WIFI installation.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
We were scheduled on LHR-JFK this morning on G-BYGF hoping to be able to confirm WiFi but the flight was canceled. Looks like for mechanical reasons.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
We were scheduled on LHR-JFK this morning on G-BYGF hoping to be able to confirm WiFi but the flight was canceled. Looks like for mechanical reasons.
The plane flew to SFO a couple of hours later so it doesn't appear to be mechanical.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-bygf
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Got a question re the pricing - I'm on BA15 later in the week going all the way through to SYD. Does the full flight price apply to each sector separately or is it valid for the entire flight (ie both sectors LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD)? I'm assuming it is probably the former!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm on my first LGW wifi service, on the RR powered 777-200, G-YMMF, so greetings from 36,000 feet above the Kyle of Lochalsh. The streaming package speed is running at 6.9 to 9.2 Mbps download area, 0.5 upload, latency 480 ms. Which is faster than I get at home, though without that latency. From what I can make out, the LGW provision is identical to LHR.

Originally Posted by highexpectations
Does anyone know if access to BA.com is free?
Yes ba.com is free, and the BA App works too without payment. The App is a bit slow mind.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ant_west
Got a question re the pricing - I'm on BA15 later in the week going all the way through to SYD. Does the full flight price apply to each sector separately or is it valid for the entire flight (ie both sectors LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD)? I'm assuming it is probably the former!
To answer my own post - pricing for BA15/16 is for the whole flight (ie both sectors) so if you buy on the flight LHR-SIN it is valid through to arrival in SYD. I bought the 'fast' option for the flight and found it very sporadic - it was ok to be able to download/send emails mostly in the background but I don't think you could stream video over it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.