Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
G-BYGA now has WiFi installed and it’s up and running.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I flew SEA to LHR on Friday (747-400), and WiFi was available. I was surprised at the cost, especially when compared to Emirates at $1 for 600MB. I’ve used the Emirates WiFi before and it was fine; I felt the BA offering was too expensive.

Or am I just tight?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I flew SEA to LHR on Friday (747-400), and WiFi was available. I was surprised at the cost, especially when compared to Emirates at $1 for 600MB. I’ve used the Emirates WiFi before and it was fine; I felt the BA offering was too expensive.

Or am I just tight?
It's hard to compare because Emirates is priced based on data usage but BA is priced based on a time (I have yet to read the T&C's to see if it is truly unlimited for the amount of time paid or if they throttle you down once you've used x up).

For me personally I'd probably use up 500MB in about 10/20 minutes if the speed was fast enough but again it's really down to each person, I guess if you just wanted to quickly check your emails then £4.99 is probably a bit much.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
I guess if you just wanted to quickly check your emails then £4.99 is probably a bit much.
The free hour is still available on BA. I wonder if they'll offer it when the short haul wifi starts - I suppose it's down to whether Visa or any other advertiser wants to pay for it.
Calum likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Passed G-STBF yesterday and it had no antenna, yet tis on the wiki? Should I have gone to specsavers?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Passed G-STBF yesterday and it had no antenna, yet tis on the wiki? Should I have gone to specsavers?
I checked the edit history, looks like I mistakenly added it when I was adding TBB and a few 772s. I'll go through the wiki and try to update it/keep it as accurate as possible.

For reference here is a fitted 77W
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by yankees368
It hasn't been launched commercially because BA is the sole airline signed up to use the system and it hasn't launched it yet. I think it's safe to assume that if it isn't even in a beta trial at this point that there's some sort of technical issue slowing things down for now.
It could be capacity. The Telstar 19 Vantage that was launched a couple of weeks ago is supposed to be on-line around the end of August, and is supposed to provide "airborne Internet services for aircraft traveling on trans-Atlantic routes between North America and Europe."
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:56 pm

Here are a few updates to be added to the wiki post
Aircraft fitted with WiFi

G-BYGA - Returned from CWL 27JUL
G-BYGE - Returned from CWL 05AUG
G-VIIE - Returned from SNN 13AUG
G-VIIJ - Returned from CWL 03AUG
G-YMMF - Returned from CWL 17JUL

Aircraft confirmed as not fitted with WiFi

G-CIVD
G-VIIN

Aircraft currently undergoing WiFi fitting

G-VIIF - Arrived in SNN 13AUG
G-VIIL - Arrived CWL 03AUG

G-VIIL is expected to return from CWL 16AUG. G-VIIM expected in CWL same afternoon.

Last edited by Scotflyer80; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:26 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by chucko
It could be capacity. The Telstar 19 Vantage that was launched a couple of weeks ago is supposed to be on-line around the end of August, and is supposed to provide "airborne Internet services for aircraft traveling on trans-Atlantic routes between North America and Europe."
Huh? What does this Telstar satellite have to do with BA? Just because someone is launching a satellite for airborne internet services somewhere doesn't mean that BA must be waiting for it?

BA have launched transatlantic Wifi - they are using Gogo's 2Ku which AFAIK is fairly new, fast and doesn't really have large-scale capacity problems (yet)? Gogo 2Ku uses a variety of satellites, including at least 11 SES satellites, not just one that looks more like it is intended to deliver fixed broadband.

What hasn't launched is European Wifi on short-haul flights - that is not a capacity issue either because it actually uses ground-based infrastructure provided by Deutsche Telekom, in addition to satellite backhaul by Inmarsat. That very feature is in fact the major bone of contention in the legal battle with competitor Viasat, who had proposed an exclusively satellite-based solution.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Quark999
Huh? What does this Telstar satellite have to do with BA? Just because someone is launching a satellite for airborne internet services somewhere doesn't mean that BA must be waiting for it?
Indeed. Inmarsat launched their satellite for the EAN in June 2017. I have no idea if they only need one or more are planned.

https://www.inmarsat.com/press-relea...ation-network/
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

And I've just read the Belgian regulator has given permission for the EAN ground stations after Viasat appealed the original decision in 2016.

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/in...LgSaKI.twitter
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Yes
Interesting! Perhaps that is the development they've been waiting for? It is never explained very well, but I got the impression that the satellite communications were just a fallback for when no ground connectivity was available, and as such a single satellite with 300 spot beams is probably enough capacity for now.

But it's also interesting that this article is written as if there aren't any ground stations yet, certainly in Belgium - I was surprised by the speeds at which Deutsche Telekom supposedly rolled out 300 sites all over Europe, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the system wasn't that "ready" when it was declared "ready", and specifically that they might have largely relied on the satellite backhaul while they were/are still building ground sites.

That might be a reason for BA holding off a while longer, there might have been technical issues with the system or some sites, or BA want a "big bang" approach. We can but wait...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Using iPass account ...

Flew back from LAX last week on a 747 with Wi-fi (no announcement from the crew) and used the free hour before landing.

i have a global iPass Wi-fi account bundled with my HSBC Mastercard and it supposedly works (I.e gives unpaid access) on GoGo and FlyNet plus the system used by United and JetBlue so I tried it on BA’s system but couldn’t see how to put in the details for roaming wi-fi accounts.

Has anyone had any success with iPass or is BA intending to lock the system down to credit card payers only ?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Robespierre
Has anyone had any success with iPass or is BA intending to lock the system down to credit card payers only ?
I could not connect with my corporate iPass app/account when I tried it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL

Or am I just tight?
I have used EK's Wifi a few times flying from LHR to DXB and back and it can be painfully slow or not in service for long periods of time (depending on the geographical position of the plane). I have yet to try BA's but it can't be that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.