Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Quark999
i did read about a target of end of June somewhere (can’t remember the source, but it was relatively credible) so let’s see whether that timeframe is correct.
The target was originally by the end of 2017. In February this year Deutsche Telekom said it would be running by the end of June then, in April, Inmarsat's President would only commit to saying it would be operational in 2018 as IAG (the launch customer) are "very sensitive about us indicating about timing".
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:43 am

G-RAES was completed on June 5th, G-BYGG and G-STBA are in Cardiff currently being fitted, G-YMML returned from Shannon on the 14th with WiFi and G-YMMJ positioned to Shannon to be fitted. The first 787-9 is currently expected to be done in September.
29 long haul aircraft expected to be completed by the end of the summer.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Hello live from G-CIVZ at cruise - can confirm it has WiFi fitted, and have updated the Wiki accordingly.

Perhaps the owner of the Google Sheet may like to update this, also.
Calum likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:01 pm

G-YMMK has returned from SNN 27th June (WiFi fitted however unsure if activated).

G-YMMN arrived in SNN 27th June for WIFI installation
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:38 am
RvE

From the G-YMM. series what aircrafts are now equipped with WIFI? Anyone with a complete updated list?
Flying CW LHR-BKK on 8 AUG and BKK-LHR on 28 AUG.
Would be good to have WIFI onboard
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by RvE
From the G-YMM. series what aircrafts are now equipped with WIFI? Anyone with a complete updated list?
The most up to date list we have will be found above in the WiKi post. That WiKi is updated regularly as and when newly fitted aircrafts are announced or are known to be equipped.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It's amazing how quickly Wifi has become normal.

I have been on Finnair, AA and BA in the last couple of weeks over 12 flight sectors. The only flights which didn't have Wifi were (all of) the BA flights - a 777, a 747 and a 320 - and it's already really frustrating.

Just off a TK marathon: WIFI available, working fine whenever I logged on and (joy of joys) no charge for business-class passengers, just name and seat number to get on to the service.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by RvE
I wouldn't bet on it.

Currently there are 5 of the G-YYM aircraft fitted with wifi, with one more being installed at the moment. However these aircraft have two different configs, one with F (77F) and one without F (77S). The BKK flights are served with the no F config (77S), of which only 2 are fitted with wifi out of the 10 aircraft. By Aug this could be 3, 4 or even 5 of them but that still only gives you a 50/50 chance.

One 77S that is fitted is also currently based at LGW, lowering your chance even more.

Last edited by Calum; Jun 30, 2018 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Hopefully that will be my 3 class LGW-PUJ in September then. That said i'll be sure to download my spotify playlists etal beforehand just in case as one doesn't make my chances that great
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
  • Any news on short haul WiFi? I thought it was promised “for the summer”. Deautche Telekom seem to be stating on the European Aviation Network website that the network is ready. So why isn’t it launched on BA yet?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Yes
Because it hasn’t been launched commercially - there were delays in the rollout to begin with, plus there’s the legal challenges from a Viasat et al. That’s probably put a bit of a delay on things, the last that anyone said was “summer” and “end of June”, but that wasn’t universally acknowledged by all partners. I don’t think IAG themselves are slowing things down deliberately...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by mmogdan
  • Any news on short haul WiFi? I thought it was promised “for the summer”. Deautche Telekom seem to be stating on the European Aviation Network website that the network is ready. So why isn’t it launched on BA yet?
Does the short haul fleet have the external antennas and interior hardware installed for Wi-Fi? Even if some of the newest planes do, I imagine the many older ones don't.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by internetplumber
Does the short haul fleet have the external antennas and interior hardware installed for Wi-Fi? Even if some of the newest planes do, I imagine the many older ones don't.
There was a post on here a while ago that said 71 short haul planes had been fitted. It's probably more than that now. They started installing the system on BA aircraft in early 2017 and, unlike the 2Ku system which needs the plane out of service for 2-3 days, the EAN system can be fitted overnight.
internetplumber likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Quark999
Because it hasn’t been launched commercially - there were delays in the rollout to begin with, plus there’s the legal challenges from a Viasat et al. That’s probably put a bit of a delay on things, the last that anyone said was “summer” and “end of June”, but that wasn’t universally acknowledged by all partners. I don’t think IAG themselves are slowing things down deliberately...
It hasn't been launched commercially because BA is the sole airline signed up to use the system and it hasn't launched it yet. I think it's safe to assume that if it isn't even in a beta trial at this point that there's some sort of technical issue slowing things down for now.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by yankees368
It hasn't been launched commercially because BA is the sole airline signed up to use the system and it hasn't launched it yet. I think it's safe to assume that if it isn't even in a beta trial at this point that there's some sort of technical issue slowing things down for now.
Yes, and the reason why BA hasn't launched it yet is because it hasn't been launched

There's been talk of other airlines being interested and none of them have come out of the woodwork yet because it is all hinging on the service launching commercially with *someone*, which in this case is IAG (BA). Deutsche Telekom seemed to declare the network "ready" when they had done their bit, which is when they had their ground stations ready - themselves being delayed already. I always found that highly aggressive considering that there was a satellite element to it as well (outside of Deutsche Telekom's responsibility), and if you read between the lines every statement saying the EAN was "ready" referred to sometimes theoretical system trials, not actual trials with all the physical elements actually in place. So the technical side is certainly on element in the delays.

The other is the legal challenges - as much as everyone was adamant that they wouldn't lead to delays, there clearly are delays. So that could be another aspect to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.