Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Cluster One
From Dave Wallsworth's Instagram G-XLEG:
Does BA have now cameras installed on the A380? Never seen that on BA!
Old May 9, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by BA6948
Does BA have now cameras installed on the A380? Never seen that on BA!
The pilot may have access to cameras that we do not.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
TBB has WiFi enabled (he writes from 33,000ft above Las Vegas).

I had to head to a non-https site to get to the login page (e.g. http://google.co.uk), but once done it appears to be working fine.
Tobias-UK and Calum like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by internetplumber
The pilot may have access to cameras that we do not.
Pity! Always find cameras on other airlines exciting and wondered why BA never had them.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by BA6948

Pity! Always find cameras on other airlines exciting and wondered why BA never had them.
We might get lucky with the A350's
Old May 10, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by JFX1764
Many Android devices can do this too (WiFi Sharing), but it is prohibited in the .air T&C's. Not sure how they manage it though?
The only way they could prevent this is by somehow filtering out specific MAC addresses by vendor ID - highly unlikely and pretty much impossible for bona fide Android devices. Wouldn’t go around and advertise it to the crew though...
Old May 11, 2018, 8:49 pm

G-STBL - Has returned from SNN on 10th May after having WIFI enabled.
G-STBD - Was flown to SNN on 10th May, expected to return to service in next few days with WIFI enabled

Last edited by Scotflyer80; May 11, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Posting from the cabin of G-YMMD with a couple of observations:
- No announcements were made about the WiFi facility, and it isn’t advertised anywhere on board
- Pricing and 1 hour free are still as per the first post
- The registration form was glitchy - my friend and I could not register because of a bug in the page, meaning that a mandatory security question could not be selected. Without choosing a security question you are unable to proceed. After much tapping away, we accidentally found a way to get the form to work, which we couldn’t repeat.
Advice would be to sign up to a BA .air account before travelling in case this is a regular issue. I’m not sure exactly *how* to do this, but shop.ba.com was the URL. It’s not the same as Exec Club account.
Once signed up, no further problems
- Speed is OK on the 1 hour free service. Fine for general browsing and messaging. Can’t get a speed test to run so can’t give exact numbers.

Sorry if any of this has been mentioned before in this thread - hope this is useful to any future travellers
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sixcolours
Posting from the cabin of G-YMMD with a couple of observations:
Greetings sixcolours, and welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk, it's great to see you here. Thanks very much for the observations there, and I would certainly suggest setting up an account in advance. I navigated around the fields by using the Tab button, it's not very well designed.

https://shop.ba.com/#/register
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A further 5 Longhaul aircraft have now had Wifi connected.
These are:
777-200's G-YMME & G-VIIH and 777-300's G-STBB, G-STBD and G-STBL, there are now 19 connected aircraft.
Tobias-UK, rockflyertalk and RvE like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:13 pm
RvE

Once they have upgraded all aircrafts with Wifi, new catering (bedding is done) and IFE ( upgrade the old Rockwell screens) BA will have a competitive product in the market with good Business Class rates!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes when!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It's amazing how quickly Wifi has become normal.

I have been on Finnair, AA and BA in the last couple of weeks over 12 flight sectors. The only flights which didn't have Wifi were (all of) the BA flights - a 777, a 747 and a 320 - and it's already really frustrating.

On every other flight I was able to to work on shared documents in Google Docs and Dropbox and stay in touch with work and family through Whatsapp or SMS and it has rapidly become the norm (all on silent of course).

Am in JFK right now awaiting my flight in F on G-BYGF - the most expensive sector of my trip - and, of course, no Wifi.

I know that there may still be some doubters on this forum about WiFi, but you can't stop the march of technology and it's surprised me how quickly I have started to rely on it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It's amazing how quickly Wifi has become normal.

I have been on Finnair, AA and BA in the last couple of weeks over 12 flight sectors. The only flights which didn't have Wifi were (all of) the BA flights - a 777, a 747 and a 320 - and it's already really frustrating.

On every other flight I was able to to work on shared documents in Google Docs and Dropbox and stay in touch with work and family through Whatsapp or SMS and it has rapidly become the norm (all on silent of course).

Am in JFK right now awaiting my flight in F on G-BYGF - the most expensive sector of my trip - and, of course, no Wifi.

I know that there may still be some doubters on this forum about WiFi, but you can't stop the march of technology and it's surprised me how quickly I have started to rely on it.
Unfortunate given how many super-hi J 747’s have WiFi, I think it’s close to 50% of them have it. I don’t see BA hitting it’s target of 90% of the fleet by the end of the year given the 787 issues. 77W’s are a good bet for onboard WiFi, they are around 50% fitted too.

I’m more annoyed that SH is ready and I think all the aircraft have had WiFi installed, it’s just not bloody switched on.
ThatT1Feeling and florens like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Yes
On the plus side there is hope that if it does get switched on it will be a “Big Bang” approach given the number of planes already fitted that have been talked about. Watching a slow crawl of a rollout with a 1.3% chance of getting Wi-fi, equipment changes etc. would have been equally frustrating. Might as well wait until lots of planes have it.

i did read about a target of end of June somewhere (can’t remember the source, but it was relatively credible) so let’s see whether that timeframe is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.