Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
First A380 with WiFi seems to be G-XLEG, just taxi-ing for LAX as BA269.
Beansprout likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

G-VIIY (LGW 772) has been fitted now. G-XLEL is currently in MNL maintenance so I would expect that to be the 2nd A380 fitted.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:34 pm

Is LEG confirmed? A few posts ago said the A380/B787 were quite awhile away.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Yes
That was probably based on my reading of the PDF document that GoGo have on their website - I don’t know how old it is. I haven’t seen any specific update that A380s are now available, but they are supposedly now a “line fit” option so one would assume available. Could be in backlog though - there really isn’t much up-to-date public information, probably because inflight Internet seems to be quite competitive...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
Is LEG confirmed? A few posts ago said the A380/B787 were quite awhile away.
It is now sporting the new fuselage top WiFi attenae, whether it’s switched on is a different matter.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:50 pm

G-VIIS has also been fitted in Shannon with WiFi.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Looks like launch of Wifi on short haul is imminent ?

British Airways : bientôt du Wifi haut débit ŕ bord des avions ? - Le Point

MENUThis is news that could revolutionize the world of air transport. On Monday, Inmarsat announced the launch of its so-called Internet EAN system onboard aircraft, in partnership with Deutsche Telekom. This system is intended to promote a broadband internet service during flights. And the first to test this service is none other than International Airlines Group (IAG), the parent company of British Airways , but also Aer Lingus, Vueling or Iberia. The company signed a contract in March 2017 which then made him the launch customer of the EAN system.

Inmarsat and Deutsche Telekom "will now be able to link the Internet in flight via satellite with a terrestrial network and make broadband in airplanes a reality for regional aircraft," says Inmarsat in a statement. The two partners have obtained the green light from the Regulatory Authority for Electronic Communications and Posts (Arcep) for the use of ground stations on French territory that will increase the capacity of the satellite Inmarsat S-Band launched in June 2017. TDF is the French partner of this program whose terrestrial network consists of three hundred stations installed in all the countries of the European Union as well as in Switzerland and Norway .
Tobias-UK, Calum and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

fleetregistration
747-400g-civv747-400g-civr747-400g-civs747-400g-civx747-400g-bygc747-400g-civy747-400g-civw777-200g-viis777-200g-viiy777-300g-stbe
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Inflight WiFi was available on a recent flight I took. I thought the quality was good; just a shame that the value of the service was diminished by the absence of sockets in economy on the 747s. It's also a pity that, unlike AA, they don't allow you to use the access you paid for on another device, so long as only one device is used at a time.

However, I never received any e-mailed receipt for my payment. And having e-mailed support, they are clearly struggling to produce one as well. I've told them that if they can't produce it in a week so that I can put it in my expense claim, they will leave me with no other choice than to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Has anybody else had this problem (and no, it's not in my junk mail folder)?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
G-BYGD

Posting this on BA 183 / G-BYGD

Sorry is this one is known it wasn’t in the first post and I didn’t read the whole thread.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jish
Posting this on BA 183 / G-BYGD

Sorry is this one is known it wasn’t in the first post and I didn’t read the whole thread.
It's a new one, thanks for finding out! It's her first flight since coming back from CWL.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Originally Posted by skipness1E

It is now sporting the new fuselage top WiFi attenae, whether it’s switched on is a different matter.
From Dave Wallsworth's Instagram G-XLEG:

Last edited by Cluster One; Apr 22, 2018 at 10:34 am Reason: Re-size screen shot
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:59 am

There's also a photo of the 'dome' on Gogo's Twitter account taken while the plane was in the hangar. They've confirmed this is the first A380 to be fitted with 2Ku.

There's still no comment on when they're starting on the 787s though.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mmogdan
Looks like launch of Wifi on short haul is imminent ?
This was written on April 19th on the RunwayGirlNetwork site:-

"Asked for specifics, Inmarsat’s new aviation business unit president Philip Balaamsaid via telephone, “For actual dates, I’m going to kind of kick this into the long grass and say, you know who our launch customer is. They are very sensitive about us indicating about timing. However, you are right, we are installing at pace, at very high pace. I don’t know if anyone has given you the scale of installs, but … a very significant part of what we need to do is already done.”Some stakeholders in the European Aviation Network, including Deutsche Telekom, feel certain that the hybrid ATG/S-band supported connectivity service will go live by this summer, but Balaam would not be nailed down, assuring RGN only that, “2018 will be the year of full EAN deployment. I am going to have to push you back to talk to other people about exactly [when]. We’ve been asked to be extremely cautious on that point.”

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...ite-objection/
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:58 am

G-VIIC certainly has the radome, just landed on the BA104.
Calum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.